Mayweather vs McGregor

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never had much exposure to the boxing community (other than at the gym) and it makes me sick to hear the toxic, vile (censored) coming out of it, now.
No, the fight wasn't a joke, no-one is making excuses, it wasn't a racist fight, he didn't deserve brain damage, none of it was fake, it's not the end of his career, etc.

I want nothing to do with it.
PS: I don't like CMG, am a Nate Diaz fangirl.
Umm who's said any of that?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion and that opinion is formed by a person's bias. I don't know why people's emotions are so stirred by this, it was a fight between two fighters. basically between an professional boxer and an amateur boxer ( Conor was an amateur boxer, had several boxing bouts, hasn't done any other stand up martial art). A lot of money was involved because of the way it was publicised which seems to be a problem for many. Red Sun has touched on some of the comments about the fight, people got hugely invested in hating one side ( mostly Conor) and wanting to see a bloodbath. Tickets sold out, the pay per view was wildly successful so the money people are happy, the two fighters are happy however it seems a lot of people including on here are unhappy.

Why are they unhappy, why are they mad....... Ask yourselves what personal damage did they do to you? did they insult you by fighting? Did they insult your family by fighting? Why are you so wound up by this fight? Just what did they do to you that hurts you so much by fighting....apart from making a lot of money! would it have been better if there had been no money involved?

Just one more thing....would you have fought either of them for the money? If not then you have no arguments, get over it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really don't know what fight the judges were watching. Everyone I was with had McGegor winning 5 of the first 6 and then Floyd took over.

The more I go over that fight in my head, and the more I go over my experiences in the boxing world - boxing judges weren't going to let McGregor win that fight on any scorecard. Not under any circumstances. The boxing world is threatened by MMA. Scared shipless, actually.

I really like boxing, have all my life. But I really, really despise the boxing world. F' em.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Umm who's said any of that?

Most of the comments in the Youtube upload of the fight that had 15 million views, more than a few threads on Reddit [edit: since deleted, thankfully], basically everywhere other than here or Sherdog that i've looked.

I was just peeved, don't mind me.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had a good showing for someone who doesn't box,

He may not be the world's best boxer but I don't know why you think he's someone who doesn't box. It's actually his stand up 'style'.

Winner for me was my paper this mornings headline about the fight 'Like youthful lust the anticipation was better than the event'.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just one more thing....would you have fought either of them for the money? If not then you have no arguments, get over it.
My answer to that is "yes", though then the people who are upset would have a real reason to be upset. Either one of them would have toyed with me for about 30 seconds, then ended it. Maybe I last a minute, perhaps longer if they can't decide whether I'm really that bad at boxing or just using some unorthodox approach. But knowing they could end it pretty quickly, I'd have said yes to that kind of money (I think it was $30 million for Connor).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may not be the world's best boxer but I don't know why you think he's someone who doesn't box. It's actually his stand up 'style'.
I assumed JGW meant that McGreggor doesn't routinely participate in the sport of Boxing, so was trained for something different. He uses basic boxing technique, but not for Boxing (capital "B").

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I assumed JGW meant that McGreggor doesn't routinely participate in the sport of Boxing, so was trained for something different. He uses basic boxing technique, but not for Boxing (capital "B").

That was evident by the number of times he used his punches to move in for a cinch and hammerfist combo. That's something that confused me about the fight. McGregor got warned several times in the opening rounds for striking the back of the neck and yet was always allowed to continue. At what point would you usually expect the ref to stop the match completely and disqualify him for the illegal moves?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. McGregor got warned several times in the opening rounds for striking the back of the neck and yet was always allowed to continue.

Striking the back of the neck is also illegal in MMA. The ref wasn't going to stop the fight for that the same way the judges weren't ever going to give the fight to Conor whatever happened lol. It's all about the money. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was evident by the number of times he used his punches to move in for a cinch and hammerfist combo. That's something that confused me about the fight. McGregor got warned several times in the opening rounds for striking the back of the neck and yet was always allowed to continue. At what point would you usually expect the ref to stop the match completely and disqualify him for the illegal moves?
I've never understood where that boundary/tipping point is. I don't watch much boxing, but it seems to vary by both boxer and ref (probably because there are humans involved). I can't tell if that was a trained pattern he couldn't shake (my expectation) or a deliberate ploy to frustrate Mayweather (as someone suggested earlier).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Striking the back of the neck is also illegal in MMA. The ref wasn't going to stop the fight for that the same way the judges weren't ever going to give the fight to Conor whatever happened lol. It's all about the money. :D

True. It's possible he was aiming for the top of the head but then Mayweather would move his head so the strike hit the back of the neck instead.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deliberate. Conor was boxing first then MMA so he managed to 'change rules' quite easily before so why wouldn't he do the same going back to boxing.

Five things we learned from Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor
I'm not familiar with his journey from boxing to MMA. Was it really that easy to change rules (perhaps, as MMA has fewer restrictions)? And would it really be that easy to change his "automatic" responses in a few months, from what he's spent years teaching himself to do?

My thoughts are based on my own experience. When I spar (in my nomenclature, that doesn't usually include takedowns), I have to fight my automatic tendencies to go for grappling moves when an opening is presented. Granted, I've never really trained myself not to use those openings, and he did have a few months of training for this fight, so it may be an entirely different situation. He's also surrounded by fight coaches and staff who may be quite well equipped to help him build new habits more quickly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking through this post and other stuff. I don't think it's unfair the way mcgregors been getting hate. If he'd just done all this and kept his mouth shut there'd be no issue but he came along and started saying rubbish like how he "is boxing" and saying he can beat anyone on the planet. That's the problem with talking **** like that. If you're going to talk that much make sure you can back it up or you're going to get it off the fans.

Yeah he did good to make 10 rounds but he's the one saying he was here to take over not to just take part and all that

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking through this post and other stuff. I don't think it's unfair the way mcgregors been getting hate. If he'd just done all this and kept his mouth shut there'd be no issue but he came along and started saying rubbish like how he "is boxing" and saying he can beat anyone on the planet. That's the problem with talking **** like that. If you're going to talk that much make sure you can back it up or you're going to get it off the fans.

Yeah he did good to make 10 rounds but he's the one saying he was here to take over not to just take part and all that

Ah bless, you don't think it's unfair that someone has been getting hate.
Well perhaps if you hadn't come on here mouthing off there wouldn't be an issue, honestly if you had just come on and said good morning we wouldn't be hating you and all your stupid comments, all your comments are doing is just stirring things up, making trouble and you are just smack talking.
It's not as if you have tickets to sell.

See? It's not so good when you are getting the flak for saying something is it?

Fans? Not he's not getting it off the fans he's getting it off people like you who seem to know little about MMA or boxing. Actual boxing fans have been cool, actual MMA people have been cool it's all the armchair fighters that are the problem. Actually calling them armchair fighters isn't correct they haven't got the guts to fight even an armchair. :D

Don't be so invested in what was just a fight, it's no skin off your nose who won. It's just a fight.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah bless, you don't think it's unfair that someone has been getting hate.
Well perhaps if you hadn't come on here mouthing off there wouldn't be an issue, honestly if you had just come on and said good morning we wouldn't be hating you and all your stupid comments, all your comments are doing is just stirring things up, making trouble and you are just smack talking.
It's not as if you have tickets to sell.

See? It's not so good when you are getting the flak for saying something is it?

Fans? Not he's not getting it off the fans he's getting it off people like you who seem to know little about MMA or boxing. Actual boxing fans have been cool, actual MMA people have been cool it's all the armchair fighters that are the problem. Actually calling them armchair fighters isn't correct they haven't got the guts to fight even an armchair. :D

Don't be so invested in what was just a fight, it's no skin off your nose who won. It's just a fight.
WTF...all my comments....that's the first thing I've commented. How the hell do you know what I know...you seem to be making assumptions based on nothing and yeah actually a lot of mma fighters and boxers have been talking against him.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF...all my comments....that's the first thing I've commented. How the hell do you know what I know...you seem to be making assumptions based on nothing and yeah actually a lot of mma fighters and boxers have been talking against him.

Then don't make your first posts so aggressive and not a tirade against one person. You don't like Conor fine there's no need to be hateful on here though. Make it a constructive post and say why you don't think he won the fight instead of using words that have to be censured on here about him.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then don't make your first posts so aggressive.
Ooh yeah it was so aggressive wasnt it. I wasn't even saying anything to you....the line on this site seems to be friendly community...hmm nothing friendly about you luckily just seen there's an ignore button so bye bye.