Martial arts style v style rant

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. But Brazil have these respect ideas and community ideas that we dont.

Chris Brennan posted up not long ago on FB. Not a happy man.

Chris Brennan
19 hrs · Daly City, CA, United States ·

"Prepare for rant. Prepare to be offended. Prepare to unfriend me. Prepare for me to not care either way.

This weekend I witnessed some of the most corrupt and ...entitled **** I've ever seen.

I'll start with the petty stuff and work my way forward. Standing in a line of a about 15 to get in, I finally get to the front and 3 Brazilians walk up to the left of me at the front of the line and whip out there ibjjf id card. He tries to hand it to the lady and I said "hey we all have those" and he said "so" and I said "so get in line". He laughed and proceeded to try and hand it to her. I handed to her at the same time. She reached for his and I said "you better take my card first, we have been standing in line". The guy is laughing at me and then she reached for mine, looked at it and stamped my hand (she could tell I wasn't in the mood for ********). I looked at the 3 entitled Brazilians and said "welcome to America" and walked off. He said "Ya we've been kicking your *** for years". As I kept walking I said "ya I've won this **** 3 times so it's not my *** you've been kicking". This dude says "Google my name mother love". I said "I can't, I don't know it". Once that testosterone fest was over, Lucas Randy and I made it inside.

I'm terribly disappointed in the direction the competitive sport of Jiu-Jitsu is going or has gone. The double guard pulling, the both staying there on their asses playing footsies, when basically only 1 type of foot lock is legal, the false sense of security it builds with the competitors, etc. You can't wrestle, or use judo, or any kind of takedown for that matter. If you shot a double, you'd shoot right over your opponent that was siting on his ***. It takes away so much of the fight. I don't want to see guys on the feet the whole time but it's definitely made sure the sport is not entertaining to watch if you brought a friend or family member to watch, or if you were trying to sell someone on training. The best 2 matches I saw all weekend were the finals match with Marcello Mafra, and the finals match with my boy Josh Hinger. Both fought for take downs and both used old school (3-5 years ago lol) jiu-jitsu. Passing, mounting, back taking, and scrambles. Very exciting. As a gym owner, I'm not sure what a class would look like teaching this double stare. We have worked a bit with the boys on shutting it down and have been successful twice now against the best in the world at their ages. Now we need to work in getting offensive at the same time, and saving jiu-jitsu. Lol.

Now to the corruption. The reffing at these tournaments is terrible and embarrassingly biased. Keep in mind you will get DQd for speaking to the ref during the matches. Rafa Mendez, as arrogant as any human could be, sits and has conversations with the refs while his clones are going. I sat with one Texas dad (of a phenom) and watched as madness unfolded. Neither of our kids were going so I thought I'd tell this story so it didn't seem like I was crying for my kid. It's 4-4 and an AOJ clone is on the mat against another kid (non Brazilian). They both have 2 advantages. Rafa hasn't shut up the whole match. With 20 seconds left, the other kid gets an advantage putting him ahead. Rafa bitches to the ref in Portuguese, telling him no and with 5 seconds left the ref takes the advantage back off the board. Time runs out and it's a tie. Ref raises the AOJ kids hand and he wins. I look at Rafa and say "that's the most corrupt **** I've ever seen". He looks at me and the other dad and smirks and shrugs his shoulders. That was one of tons of ******** bias things that went on.

Coaches area, must show id (black belt) to sit behind there and coach. AOJ blue belts in there all day coaching while I had to go back and get my id to get in. So blatant that it was starting to get funny and we weren't shy while laughing about it.

Next. If you are American, please stop talking to your American friend with a broken Portuguese accent. You look like a *******. You are American and speak English, so be American and speak English. The Brazilians are laughing at you when they hear that.

I hope to see some sort of changes in all this but I'm not confident I will. Everyone puts so much merit in these events because it's the IBJJF, but the IBJJF needs to take responsibility for some of the stuff that goes on. If they don't, sooner or later more people like me will get fed up with it and either move on or create something else. I'm interested in the event at the pyramid next weekend that took the venue away from the IBJJF.

I'm not going to mention the other dad that was sitting there with me so no one gets thrown under the bus, but there were a few popular dad's of some popular kids with me that agreed and said the same thing, probably just not as outspoken as me. Oops"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On Renzo -

Never met Renzo, but, some of my friends have trained with him. Back in the nineties, Renzo was competing in an MMA fight against an Olympic Judoka from the Netherlands. I was watching the fight on TV and Renzo choked him out with a lapel choke. Then, Renzo stepped over him and kicked him in the head as he did so. That really bothered me. A lot, actually. And, man, did he et booed. But then...

A long time training partner of mine, (one who used to be my student, and twenty five years later was one of my primary instructors), happened to be working as the cornerman of a fighter on the same card. His fighter's locker room was next to Renzo's. My training partner, Shawn, was standing outside the locker room, right next to Renzo's door when the Judoka (Renzo's opponent) walked up and knocked on Renzo's door. He was doing so on the advice of his coach/trainer who wanted to make Renzo angry - in order to take him out of his game.

The door opened and the Judoka said to Renzo "You have beautiful eyes, just like my girlfriend, and when I get you in the ring I'm going to F you just like I F her", and walked away. Renzo's people held him back. My buddy Shawn nearly soiled himself. He was standing two feet away.

From what I've been told, the step over and kick to the head is an insult in Brazil, at least in the milieu Renzo grew up in. And I don't blame him one little bit. (Man, talk about really, really bad advice from a trainer.)

That's when I first hated a guy I have never met - and then didn't.
The point of all this? I dunno', good story, though. Glad I got it first hand.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On Renzo -

Never met Renzo, but, some of my friends have trained with him. Back in the nineties, Renzo was competing in an MMA fight against an Olympic Judoka from the Netherlands. I was watching the fight on TV and Renzo choked him out with a lapel choke. Then, Renzo stepped over him and kicked him in the head as he did so. That really bothered me. A lot, actually. And, man, did he et booed. But then...

A long time training partner of mine, (one who used to be my student, and twenty-five years later was one of my primary instructors), happened to be working as the cornerman of a fighter on the same card. His fighter's locker room was next to Renzo's. My training partner, Shawn, was standing outside the locker room, right next to Renzo's door when the Judoka (Renzo's opponent) walked up and knocked on Renzo's door. He was doing so on the advice of his coach/trainer who wanted to make Renzo angry - in order to take him out of his game.

The door opened and the Judoka said to Renzo "You have beautiful eyes, just like my girlfriend, and when I get you in the ring I'm going to F you just like I F her", and walked away. Renzo's people held him back. My buddy Shawn nearly soiled himself. He was standing two feet away.

From what I've been told, the step over and kick to the head is an insult in Brazil, at least in the milieu Renzo grew up in. And I don't blame him one little bit. (Man, talk about really, really bad advice from a trainer.)

That's when I first hated a guy I have never met - and then didn't.
The point of all this? I dunno', good story, though. Glad I got it first hand.
Good story.
We are quick judging, but we never know the full story...
(Perhaps Renzo did something worse before to the Judocas's trainer! :) )

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think the constant denial that you both engage in the behavior of belittling other styles is outright dishonest. And the only reason this argument even exists.

This thread is a response to other threads. But you are trying to claim actions in other threads should not apply?

Speaking of dishonest, your approach to this is rather deceptive don't you think

Again, please, show me a thread where I belittled another style, please I implore you to look and point them out to me. I am truly interested in seeing a post where I did this.

Again, you are trying to get an argument and using fabrication in an attempt to get one....

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of dishonest, your approach to this is rather deceptive don't you think

Again, please, show me a thread where I belittled another style, please I implore you to look and point them out to me. I am truly interested in seeing a post where I did this.

Again, you are trying to get an argument and using fabrication in an attempt to get one....

It's quite funny he's saying all this when he's the one involved in pretty much every argument on this board

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never know in the past ten years XS to ever disrespect or disparage any other martial art, he's actually far more reasonable and less argumentative than most of us here. I have huge admiration and respect for him, which of course won't mean much to those who care little about anything I write lol but there you go.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Chris Brennan

"Prepare for rant. Prepare to be offended. Prepare to unfriend me. Prepare for me to not care either way.

This weekend I witnessed some of the most corrupt and ...entitled **** I've ever seen.

I'll start with the petty stuff and work my way forward. Standing in a line of a about 15 to get in, I finally get to the front and 3 Brazilians walk up to the left of me at the front of the line and whip out there ibjjf id card. He tries to hand it to the lady and I said "hey we all have those" and he said "so" and I said "so get in line". He laughed and proceeded to try and hand it to her. I handed to her at the same time. She reached for his and I said "you better take my card first, we have been standing in line". The guy is laughing at me and then she reached for mine, looked at it and stamped my hand (she could tell I wasn't in the mood for ********). I looked at the 3 entitled Brazilians and said "welcome to America" and walked off. He said "Ya we've been kicking your *** for years". As I kept walking I said "ya I've won this **** 3 times so it's not my *** you've been kicking". This dude says "Google my name mother love". I said "I can't, I don't know it". Once that testosterone fest was over, Lucas Randy and I made it inside.

I'm terribly disappointed in the direction the competitive sport of Jiu-Jitsu is going or has gone. The double guard pulling, the both staying there on their asses playing footsies, when basically only 1 type of foot lock is legal, the false sense of security it builds with the competitors, etc. You can't wrestle, or use judo, or any kind of takedown for that matter. If you shot a double, you'd shoot right over your opponent that was siting on his ***. It takes away so much of the fight. I don't want to see guys on the feet the whole time but it's definitely made sure the sport is not entertaining to watch if you brought a friend or family member to watch, or if you were trying to sell someone on training. The best 2 matches I saw all weekend were the finals match with Marcello Mafra, and the finals match with my boy Josh Hinger. Both fought for take downs and both used old school (3-5 years ago lol) jiu-jitsu. Passing, mounting, back taking, and scrambles. Very exciting. As a gym owner, I'm not sure what a class would look like teaching this double stare. We have worked a bit with the boys on shutting it down and have been successful twice now against the best in the world at their ages. Now we need to work in getting offensive at the same time, and saving jiu-jitsu. Lol.

Now to the corruption. The reffing at these tournaments is terrible and embarrassingly biased. Keep in mind you will get DQd for speaking to the ref during the matches. Rafa Mendez, as arrogant as any human could be, sits and has conversations with the refs while his clones are going. I sat with one Texas dad (of a phenom) and watched as madness unfolded. Neither of our kids were going so I thought I'd tell this story so it didn't seem like I was crying for my kid. It's 4-4 and an AOJ clone is on the mat against another kid (non Brazilian). They both have 2 advantages. Rafa hasn't shut up the whole match. With 20 seconds left, the other kid gets an advantage putting him ahead. Rafa bitches to the ref in Portuguese, telling him no and with 5 seconds left the ref takes the advantage back off the board. Time runs out and it's a tie. Ref raises the AOJ kids hand and he wins. I look at Rafa and say "that's the most corrupt **** I've ever seen". He looks at me and the other dad and smirks and shrugs his shoulders. That was one of tons of ******** bias things that went on.

Coaches area, must show id (black belt) to sit behind there and coach. AOJ blue belts in there all day coaching while I had to go back and get my id to get in. So blatant that it was starting to get funny and we weren't shy while laughing about it.

Next. If you are American, please stop talking to your American friend with a broken Portuguese accent. You look like a *******. You are American and speak English, so be American and speak English. The Brazilians are laughing at you when they hear that.

I hope to see some sort of changes in all this but I'm not confident I will. Everyone puts so much merit in these events because it's the IBJJF, but the IBJJF needs to take responsibility for some of the stuff that goes on. If they don't, sooner or later more people like me will get fed up with it and either move on or create something else. I'm interested in the event at the pyramid next weekend that took the venue away from the IBJJF.

I'm not going to mention the other dad that was sitting there with me so no one gets thrown under the bus, but there were a few popular dad's of some popular kids with me that agreed and said the same thing, probably just not as outspoken as me. Oops"
Interesting. coached at many ibjjf events and never seen this. seen a purple and brown belt kicked out of world's for being in coaching area and one was AOJ and the other GB so I think he was exaggerating or they have since fixed. Yes they were Brazilian. seen black belts asked to leave coaching area for talking to refs this year so they fixed that. poor reffing you will find everywhere and in every sport but i rarely see it in bjj and trust me, those refs are called out and have to answer for their mistakes afterwards.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. coached at many ibjjf events and never seen this. seen a purple and brown belt kicked out of world's for being in coaching area and one was AOJ and the other GB so I think he was exaggerating or they have since fixed. Yes they were Brazilian. seen black belts asked to leave coaching area for talking to refs this year so they fixed that. poor reffing you will find everywhere and in every sport but i rarely see it in bjj and trust me, those refs are called out and have to answer for their mistakes afterwards.

Problems happen everywhere. We had a Brazilian BJJ instructor come up and do a couple of seminars, he wasn't available for a third as he'd been sent to prison for rape and assault.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Problems happen everywhere. We had a Brazilian BJJ instructor come up and do a couple of seminars, he wasn't available for a third as he'd been sent to prison for rape and assault.
This is sad but much less common in BJJ than karate or tkd. Being a skilled athlete or teacher does not disqualify person from being a total douchebag .

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is sad but much less common in BJJ than karate or tkd. Being a skilled athlete or teacher does not disqualify person from being a total douchebag .

That doesn't really mean a lot as there are far less BJJ people in the UK than karate or TKD. It's still relatively new compared to the other two. The point was though that the people extolling the virtues of BJJers over every other style should remember that human nature being what it is there will always be the idiots, the charlatans and the numpties in all styles, none excepted.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know of any good reason to think that criminals and douchebags are any less common in one martial art than in another.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry but that's nonsense being a scummy person isn't defined by what martial art you do. There will be scumbags in karate, kickboxing, judo, jiu jitsu, tai chi saying its less common in jiu jitsu is just ridiculous what proof is there that its not as common

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never know in the past ten years XS to ever disrespect or disparage any other martial art, he's actually far more reasonable and less argumentative than most of us here. I have huge admiration and respect for him, which of course won't mean much to those who care little about anything I write lol but there you go.

I did quote the conversation right back at the start. So we can't really all pretend it did not happen.

Which is kind of a weird way of approaching a conversation that is all recorded.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's quite funny he's saying all this when he's the one involved in pretty much every argument on this board

I had left it alone that is why i didn't respond to your last post.

And you are still taking pot shots.

You are not very good at living by your own set of standards. They seem to be only for other people.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had left it alone that is why i didn't respond to your last post.

And you are still taking pot shots.

You are not very good at living by your own set of standards. They seem to be only for other people.
Yeah because you keep repeating yourself and looking for trouble

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah because you keep repeating yourself and looking for trouble

How is it my fault that you can't live up to your own set of standards?

I mean if you dont like to argue. Then don't if you dont like style vs style then don't engage in style vs style. If you dont want your style belittled. Don't get caught out belittling other styles.

There are plenty of subjects I dont like. Lineage wars bore me. Internal art discussions are pretty pointless. But I dont go around crying because people have them. If that is their thing then go for it. There are plenty of conversations i can have that i do like.

Have you stopped to consider that you are trying to moderate everyone else but yourself?

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How is it my fault that you can't live up to your own set of standards?

I mean if you dont like to argue. Then don't if you dont like style vs style then don't engage in style vs style. If you dont want your style belittled. Don't get caught out belittling other styles.

There are plenty of subjects I dont like. Lineage wars bore me. Internal art discussions are pretty pointless. But I dont go around crying because people have them. If that is their thing then go for it. There are plenty of conversations i can have that i do like.

Have you stopped to consider that you are trying to moderate everyone else but yourself?
Oh yeah I'm crying my eyes out people have them aren't I. I never said it was wrong to discuss the differences I said its stupid to insult people and belittle them and yes I'm sure you'll bring up that video again and yet again ill tell you that's not martial arts and I said its stupid to challenge people or worry about who would win. Now I'm going to ignore you because you're boring me

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I did quote the conversation right back at the start. So we can't really all pretend it did not happen.

Which is kind of a weird way of approaching a conversation that is all recorded.

It is rather weird to take things out of context, slap them together, and try and present them as truth too, but yet you continue to do so. That is a great way to push propaganda, but it most certainly is not truth. But to be honest I expect this response from you.

You quoted something that was said about the Ki master, which was a side conversation, and was not about the OPs topic, then put them together as a series of quote, out of context and out of proper order, and made it sound as if it was in response to the OP. We don't have to pretend it didn't happen, because it didn't happen as you are trying to present it, you are however pretending happen and continuing to push your misrepresentation in a quest for an argument. If you post things that ate not true, as you did, does not make them true.

Sorry, but it appears all you have here is misrepresentation, unfounded accusations and propaganda which you have been called on and caught doing and yet you continue to try and push your misrepresentation as truth.

I have no need to continue this conversation with you since you will never admit mistake or misrepresentation. And I have no need to prove anything to you, those who know me, know how I post, and those that know you know how you post.

I shall no longer waste my time on you here

Have a nice day

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Chris Brennan

Good points. The great thing about this is that there are other tournament venues popping up all the time. From ADCC to the sub only or variations that crop up.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know that it's less common. I do know it happens. There was a GB black belt convicted in Yakima, WA couple years ago. Cristiano Oliveira. Scumbags can be anywhere, but sexual assault is sadly common in BJJ, and the real indication of character is what the community does when misconduct and misbehavior is identified.

Latest Discussions