Martial arts style v style rant

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking what to call this thread and this isn't my rant its off a YouTube video I saw I know the title of the video says boxer vs wing chun but the end bit is very important he's 100% right.

A question he's asked is would he challenge someone saying a boxer would beat a wing chun guy and in summary says no why would I who cares what have I got to prove. He's so right there's so much style v style nonsense these days that people need to realise its very unlikely 2 trained martial artists are going to throw down in the street so who cares what style would best what just enjoy what you do.

Me I do kenpo and kickboxing now maybe those styles aren't as effective as some in some people's opinion and that's fine your entitled to it. Maybe a wrestler or a jiu jitsu guy would destroy me but here's the thing I don't plan on fighting a jiu jitsu guy anytime soon so why does it matter if he can beat me or I can beat him. If we never fight no one will ever know. We all do our own thing some of us will be better than others some of our styles will work in different ways in different situations doesn't make it right or wrong. We all do our own thing and if it makes us happy and we have fun that's all that matters. That's why I'll never call anyone out about training at a McDojo because if they enjoy their training even though the instructors not great who am I to tell them their school is a fraud.

Here's the video

Chaleira

White Belt
Reaction score
The ole style vs Style topic. Yep, I agree with just do what makes you happy. Every art has their purpose which is not always the same as another's. Just, train hard, have fun and be the best you can be at what you do... and at the same time keep an open mind. Not everyone wants to be a fighter, not everyone cares to use their style for self defense purposes. Some people just want something to do and like the idea of martial arts. Some people usually just end up doing what works for their lifestyle and not necessarily for the streets... and that's okay in my opinion. People know where to look if they desire something more.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I myself have a big problem of falling into this nonsense myself. I been getting better and better at not letting it get to me so much. In the end it comes down to my time and money and where I prefer spending both.

I been taking a Kenpo karate offshoot style called Shou shu which from my understanding is essentially Tracy Kenpo with some Jiu-jitsu esque grappling and trapping technique. It is very colored with Chinese themes and has animal form influences but in the end we are punching and kicking, blocking and parrying and doing lots of grappling as well.

So that is good enough for me. I don't really care what they name it because it has things in it that I enjoy and look forward to learning more of.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if someone does want to be a fighter. You just let them walk under a bus?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've found that telling people x style sucks do y style instead is very counter productive for style x.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why I'll never call anyone out about training at a McDojo because if they enjoy their training even though the instructors not great who am I to tell them their school is a fraud.

So is that resolution of from now on?

Sad part about that guy is I believe he still has a lot of students buying into his shtick

Even sadder part is the guy himself probably believe it

I believe he does actually. Sadly all he has successfully done is to teach his students to fall down on que.... and many of them now believe it too.

Well at least they know how to break fall

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've found that telling people x style sucks do y style instead is very counter productive for style x.

Oh. look the bus is a much more effective instructor. But it can be an uncompromising one.

Chaleira

White Belt
Reaction score
I would hope if someone wanted to be a fighter, they would have the common sense to research and seek out schools to get them where they want to be to fulfill their personal goals, and that the instructor would help him achieve his goals, and if that instructor can't, then don't bullshhhh them around.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Taking multiple posts out of context and linking them to what Kickbox101 posted means what exactly?
God knows funny thing is he brings this up every time I post something and that was from that video I believe you posted of the guy using his chi to touch people and they fall on the ground which isn't even a McDojo or real martial arts so it doesn't even count to this. I find it pretty strange that he had to look for a old thread to find a couple of comments

Last edited:

Chaleira

White Belt
Reaction score
OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So is that resolution of from now on?
Will you please stop trying to cause arguments it's very boring and anyway I've obviously got opinions as everyone does but if someone says to me "I train at...." I won't say to them oh no don't do that school sucks the teachers a fraud. But this is a place to discuss martial arts so ill say my opinions here. Also half of those comments are not mine

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're right that some people don't.. sad I know. Do you suggest people publicly call out the instructors of such schools and the styles they teach... or preach to the students desiring to learn martial arts?

Also are we talking legitimate frauds now, or just styles that may be better than another style at a specific purpose?

real and honest discussions about martial arts might help.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taking multiple posts out of context and linking them to what Kickbox101 posted means what exactly?

That was multiple posts in sequence so that people could follow the conversion.

It means this thread shows that kickboxer 101 participates in exactly the sort of commentry that he is saying is not cool.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Will you please stop trying to cause arguments it's very boring and anyway I've obviously got opinions as everyone does but if someone says to me "I train at...." I won't say to them oh no don't do that school sucks the teachers a fraud. But this is a place to discuss martial arts so ill say my opinions here. Also half of those comments are not mine

If you post a thread where you say something isnt right and that you dont do it.

And, well you do.

How is that wrong for me to bring up?

And the comments that are not yours are there because you responded to them. That was your conversation. like we are having a conversation now. Some of the comments are mine and some are yours.

And this even before i start on old mate master wong there. who also did exactly the same thing. Compared styles,es and then said comparing styles does not matter.

I mean seriously guys one or the other. Pick a stance and stick to it.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think before you can learn to fight against multiple people, you need to learn to fight effectively against one. And before you can learn to fight against someone with a weapon, you need to learn how to effectively fight against someone who is unarmed.

You don't start with calculus, you learn trigonometry first, and algebra before that.

And so, it makes sense to me that styles which sound too good to be true probably are. There are numerous great reasons to train martial arts, but If you think fighting skills are relevant for self defense, learning to fight should be a solid first step. and pointing to styles or schools which do or song seems okay to me.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh. look the bus is a much more effective instructor. But it can be an uncompromising one.

You and others can hold MMA and styles in it to a higher light if you'd like, but people aren't really going to care. People don't wake up in the morning and say "Hey lets impress Dropbear and Steve and Hanzou and gain their approval."

They are going to do what they enjoy and not everyone enjoys what you do, same way many people may not enjoy the things I do.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You and others can hold MMA and styles in it to a higher light if you'd like, but people aren't really going to care. People don't wake up in the morning and say "Hey lets impress Dropbear and Steve and Hanzou and gain their approval."

They are going to do what they enjoy and not everyone enjoys what you do, same way many people may not enjoy the things I do.
Very reasonable. But if they wake up and say, "Hey I want to learn to fight," they may want to learn to, you know, fight. Which isn't the same as learning kata or learning chi sao.