Martial Arts for Everyone

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
And that keeps their hair from falling out?
What? no. What a weird question.

Short of chemotherapy or extreme alopecia it would never be bic'd clean though, not if he's a Sikh. How much do you know about Sikhs?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I will look into that history a bit, thank you

It's actually relevant to today's situation with terrorism and Pakistan, the Kashmiri war (Pakistan has stated that peace in Afghanistan is dependent on the situation in Kashmir)) and insurgency as well as the Pakistan-Bangladesh war in 1971 where half a million people were killed. Over half a million people were killed in Partition. Nothing ever goes away.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is garbage. If you choose to waste your money and your time on this, that is your choice. Best of luck to you.
How do you know it's garbage? Have you viewed the videos? You seem kind of judgy about this, considering your past posts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I took a look at some of his videos and I didn't feel good about what I saw. He probably knows his stuff and the techniques, my concern is that I saw some vital gaps in his sparring and application drilling that made me feel really uncomfortable.

If his video is just covering concepts then you should be ok. If the video teaches applications then you are probably won't see the results that you think you'll see. For example.
I see stuff like this and I think. "trigger the guard and break the ribs". He's using the wrong guard for the type of punch that he's getting.

It's things like this that makes me uneasy because instructors pick techniques to use against certain strikes and then teach that application. If they don't have a good understanding of application beyond demo mode, then they will end up picking using the wrong technique for situation.

I understand what he's doing in the video, but I'm good in 2 things when it comes to martial arts. sweeps and elbows and I know without a doubt that you don't use elbows against a jab like that. If the DVDs are teaching to do so then you didn't get such a good deal.

When I see stuff like this, I think, just point the knife at the neck @0:21. I understand it's a demo and drilling but there are certain things that should always be in the front on your mind such as where your opponents hands are in relation to you body.

Again I'm not saying the other stuff isn't good. I just saying that what I saw from his previous videos makes me feel uneasy in terms of application.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Question: Is a motorcycle helmet the best head gear to be wearing for these drills?

My understanding is that motorcycle helmets are designed to protect your head from hitting the pavement or another vehicle at 30-40 mph and that the dissipate the force through cracking or breaking. They are more of a one time use thing, as after they broke or cracked... they will not be able to dissipate that force again. If they are not hit hard enough to break, they transmit most of the force straight to your head. Am I misunderstanding this?

If motorcycle helmets were that good to use for this application, why don't boxers, MMA fighters and red man suits use motorcycle helmets?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My understanding is that motorcycle helmets are designed to protect your head from hitting the pavement or another vehicle at 30-40 mph and that the dissipate the force through cracking or breaking. They are more of a one time use thing, as after they broke or cracked... they will not be able to dissipate that force again. If they are not hit hard enough to break, they transmit most of the force straight to your head. Am I misunderstanding this?

Yes, you're misunderstanding how a motorcycle helmet works.

The multi-layer lining is what does the protection, usually expanded polystyrene and foam. That absorbs the impact to stop or reduce the force transmitted to your head (it collapses and provides a slower moment of deceleration).

Make it do that once, and it can't really do it again, like the crumple zone on a car, once it's been deformed that's it. It might regain most of it's shape (like pulling out the damage on a car), but it'll not be as effective because it's structure is compromised.

The outer shell is to protect the lining from abrasion (foam and poly won't last long sliding on tarmac). The cracking or breaking isn't part of the actual design as such. Imo if a helmet visibly cracked or broke from a 30-40mph impact it's substandard.

I hit the deck head first at about 35mph when a car drove into the side of me, helmet was a bit scuffed, visor was scratched to hull. No visible internal deformation or shell cracking - lid went in the bin, it did it's one-shot job.

Now, compared to a sparring helmet you'll feel more of the minor impacts (semi contact fist/foot level) because the foam isn't as thick or squishy, but it'd be in a totally different league if you got hit with a bat, or a full force kick... A knockout would be highly unlikely.

So, different protection.

Plus, have you ever worn a motorbike helmet, especially full face? I wouldn't want to be training in one.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I took a look at some of his videos and I didn't feel good about what I saw. He probably knows his stuff and the techniques, my concern is that I saw some vital gaps in his sparring and application drilling that made me feel really uncomfortable.

If his video is just covering concepts then you should be ok. If the video teaches applications then you are probably won't see the results that you think you'll see. For example.
I see stuff like this and I think. "trigger the guard and break the ribs". He's using the wrong guard for the type of punch that he's getting.

It's things like this that makes me uneasy because instructors pick techniques to use against certain strikes and then teach that application. If they don't have a good understanding of application beyond demo mode, then they will end up picking using the wrong technique for situation.

I understand what he's doing in the video, but I'm good in 2 things when it comes to martial arts. sweeps and elbows and I know without a doubt that you don't use elbows against a jab like that. If the DVDs are teaching to do so then you didn't get such a good deal.

When I see stuff like this, I think, just point the knife at the neck @0:21. I understand it's a demo and drilling but there are certain things that should always be in the front on your mind such as where your opponents hands are in relation to you body.

Again I'm not saying the other stuff isn't good. I just saying that what I saw from his previous videos makes me feel uneasy in terms of application.
My concern is that it is video instruction. I don’t bother to even look beyond that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My concern is that it is video instruction. I don’t bother to even look beyond that.
I've seen some great online instruction. Not a replacement for training in a school, but certainly viable supplemental training.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is garbage. If you choose to waste your money and your time on this, that is your choice. Best of luck to you.

For $9.99 I disagree. I've attended and spent hundreds of dollars on what I consider garbage MA schools and instructors that milk you and teach you things that are useless in the real world. That to me is garbage. But to each their own.

I'm pretty good at mimicking movements. I do a lot of bag work and shadow boxing. What I lack is sparring, which is so valuable. But even at many MA schools, they don't all offer that. The one WC school I attended offered no sparring at all. People just stood around for an hour doing improper WC forms against an individual that just stood there. It was BAD.

I'd rather have the 5 modules of varied scenarios and information than waste $140 month on something that is no better. For $10 I'll pick up a few things so it's somewhat valuable.

I might order the 52 Blocks DVDs next.

The only other two schools I'm interested are the Mission MMA school around the corner or the very good IKMA Krav Maga near me. That will give me the aliveness that is missing from doing these things at home.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some things you can teach on video and some things you can't.
This is from the website: "LEARN THE SAME TACTICS & STRATEGIES THAT SIFU SINGH HAS TAUGHT TO ORGANIZATIONS INCLUDING SWAT, SECRET SERVICE, SPECIAL FORCES, MILITARY, AND GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS ACROSS THE GLOBE."

Learn the same Tactics & Strategies.. That should be possible through a video.

"NOTHING CAN REPLACE TIME ON THE MATS! BUT, THIS DIGITAL SEMINAR IS DESIGNED TO GIVE YOU SOME NEW CONCEPTS THAT YOU CAN TEST OUT ON THE MATS THAT ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED ENHANCE YOUR SKILL, NO MATTER YOUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL"

Give you some new concepts that you can test out on the mats... This should be possible through a video as well.

I haven't seen any of what is on this particular set of DVD but for the most part there seems to be topics that can be discuss via video. For the most part all of the sections below the concepts can be taught through video. The areas highlighted in red will require some technique training and that's where a person can get into trouble and where in person training would be extremely helpful.
  • The 5 Ranges of Combat
  • The 3 Times to Hit Someone
  • The "Fighting Measure"
  • The 5 Primary Targets to Strike
  • The 10 Magic Tools to Win a Street Fight
  • The Engagement Stage of the Fight - How to Engage Your Opponent & Enter
  • The 3 Times to Counter Attack
  • The Rally Stage of the Fight
  • How To Apply Pressure & Change Levels After Creating a Moment of Pain | High/Low/High Attack Method
  • The Follow-Up & Finish Stage of the Fight Through Force Continuum
  • Clinch Fighting
  • The Wrestlers Pummel
  • Take Down Defense
  • Ground Fighting

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For $9.99 I disagree. I've attended and spent hundreds of dollars on what I consider garbage MA schools and instructors that milk you and teach you things that are useless in the real world. That to me is garbage. But to each their own.

I'm pretty good at mimicking movements. I do a lot of bag work and shadow boxing. What I lack is sparring, which is so valuable. But even at many MA schools, they don't all offer that. The one WC school I attended offered no sparring at all. People just stood around for an hour doing improper WC forms against an individual that just stood there. It was BAD.

I'd rather have the 5 modules of varied scenarios and information than waste $140 month on something that is no better. For $10 I'll pick up a few things so it's somewhat valuable.

The only other two schools I'm interested are the Mission MMA school around the corner or the very good IKMA Krav Maga near me. That will give me the aliveness that is missing from doing these things at home.
Mimicking movements and learning martial arts are two very different things. When I study Shotokan, I mimic the sensei as best as I can. I think I have it pretty close... until he comes over and makes one small adjustment. Then, the whole thing changes... usually it gets harder, before it gets easier. Thats the problem with learning through video... first you don't realize that you are not, actually mimicking the movement. Second, when you do try it the "right" way, it makes it harder, not easier, until you actually get it. When you don't have a teacher to show you, and reinforce doing it the "right" way, as human beings, we do the way that is easier and feels better.

If you are really set on learning through video... save yourself the money and use youtube. This guy started out his segments suggesting you use the wrong equipment, motorcycle helmets. Its not hard to find people on youtube, teaching that same stuff, only using correct gear and honestly, explaining it better.

Honestly, find reruns of ESPNs Friday night fights where Teddy Atlas gives his fight plans... Watch the fight plan first, then the fight, while listening to Teddy. Teddy first shows you the opening, and how to setup that opening, then he shows you one correct technique to take advantage of it. He usually picks the technique based on the strength of the fighter he is making the plan for. Then during the fight, Teddy will show you when the opening is there, when the opening is being setup and when his technique is being used. He will also tell you what adjustments each needs to make. All in all, Teddy gives better instruction in his fight plans, and better analysis during the fight... and it won't cost you any money at all.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really like these modules. I purchased them last night for $9.99! Incredible value. :)

Martial Arts For Everyone Digital Seminar

I can see absolutely no down side to this. I mean, if it sucks, you aren't even out the ten whole dollars, as it offers a guarantee money back deal. And if that isn't true, gee, ten bucks. It also says their profits go to charity, which is pretty cool.

If it sparked your interest in the first place, you will definitely get some things out of it. I'll bet I would, too. Just wish I had the time right now. Let us know what you think of the stuff as you watch and try everything.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well then, at least you know that what you are good at is mimickry. From video, that is all you will get.

Even for the low low price of ten bucks, I hate to just throw money away. But that’s just me.

The bigger issue is the waste of time and effort, and the self delusion over what is not really learned. But to each his own.