Martial Arts for Everyone

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meh. Martial arts training videos make me frowny faced.

You just can't effectively transfer something that is dynamic though a static medium. Not really.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a bald Sikh before.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
....true however millions study traditional martial arts which teach them forms. For $9.99 it’s a good value.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I am wondering, and I fully admit I could have missed something.....I see the mettle braclet and the sit name of Singh, but without the beard, long hair and or turban, why are you saying he is a Sikh. Did I miss something?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since the turban is mandatory, how would you know?
In the Sikh religion, it is forbidden to cut your hair. It is the first of the 5 Ks.

With that said, I know a lot of short haired Sikhs that only wear the bracelet. There are varied levels of devotion.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some magic beans for sale, pm me if your interested, you can have them all for 50$

I’d rather pay $9.99 for magic beans than the $2,200 per magic beans most are paying for. :)

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I apologize but my previous post had a horrible misspelling and auto correct changed something to where it no longer made since and I never finished my post....I did not notice so,.... let me try this again wen I'm not in a hurry

I am wondering, and I fully admit I could have missed something.....I see the metal braclet and the sir name of Singh, but without the beard, long hair and or turban, why are you saying he is a Sikh. Did I miss something? Without the hair, beard and turban...mostly without the hair and beard, I don't think Sikh...although admittedly Singh would indicate such

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
No different than Youtube or other online training. It’s limited. Nothing beats a real teacher with real sparring but there is some good material in the modules IMO. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You'd be surprised.

I am wondering, and I fully admit I could have missed something.....I see the mettle braclet and the sit name of Singh, but without the beard, long hair and or turban, why are you saying he is a Sikh. Did I miss something?

Like being Jewish, it doesn't matter whether he is practising the religious part of his heritage or not he still remains a Sikh. This I am very reliably informed by Sikhs of my acquaintance of whom I have a lot. They regard themselves as an ethnic group not just a religion.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Like being Jewish, it doesn't matter whether he is practising the religious part of his heritage or not he still remains a Sikh. This I am very reliably informed by Sikhs of my acquaintance of whom I have a lot. They regard themselves as an ethnic group not just a religion.

Yes, I know, many younger Sikhs do not do things the same, mostly due to the society in which they live, example; many do not carry a kirpan. Many older Sikhs in the US do not carry a kirpan either. It is an adaptation to the society in which they live.

My question was not argumentative or accusatory, it was simply a question. I may have missed something in the page, but I did not see anyplace where he identified himself as Sikh. I just want to know what I am missing here. I did notice the name and I did notice the metal wrist band, but that is all. Singh means lion, and it can also be of the old warrior cast, would not surprise me if a person who is a martial artist of that culture, or interested in that culture, adopted the name. There is more than one person in the US that has taken the title of Shigong....but in this case it simply shows they are clueless as to what Shigong mens. However with Singh, using it in martial arts could fit. I know it was mandated by Guru Gobind Singh for all Sikhs, but it was also used by certain members of the warrior cast.

Also, note, he has a Hexagram on his arm, which is from the Bagua and the i-ching and he is wearing a bagua around his neck in one photo, but I do not think he is a Daoist,...Also just noticed, he claims to be a 23 generation Taiji master.... not sure what style that would be since Chen is the oldest and it is only up to 20th generation (Chen Bing). Chen Zhenglei, Chen Xiaowang, Chen Xiaoxing, Chen Yu are all 19th generation.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Another answer to that, is actually self explanatory because if they are wearing turbans you wouldn't see any baldness! However they have to be removed to accommodate gas masks and NBC suits as well as combat helmets.

but I did not see anyplace where he identified himself as Sikh.

He's Sikh, trust me, my Sikh friends say so :). I don't doubt them. His religion, if he has one, is irrelevant.

Did you know that 69% of all Sikhs are born in the UK, where Sikhism is recognised as an ethnic group rather than a religious one. We have a very large population here, they are part of us, in the military ( yes in turbans) as well as every part of life since the early 19th century. They're allowed to carry their Kirpans here of course.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
He's Sikh, trust me, my Sikh friends say so :). I don't doubt them. His religion, if he has one, is irrelevant.

Did you know that 69% of all Sikhs are born in the UK, where Sikhism is recognised as an ethnic group rather than a religious one. We have a very large population here, they are part of us, in the military ( yes in turbans) as well as every part of life since the early 19th century. They're allowed to carry their Kirpans here of course.

Thank You, and I did not know that about the UK recognizing Sikh as an ethnic group.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....true however millions study traditional martial arts which teach them forms. For $9.99 it’s a good value.
I don't think even forms can be learned from videos, if you're trying to actually learn it as part of the original art. The movements can be copied and used, but it's unlikely the movements will be correct to the actual form, nor will the intent likely be the same.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. So what is the advantage of that over YouTube?
I can only think of one - it's an organized group of videos with what is assumed to be a logical progression, rather than a hodgepodge searched out. A well-organized set of videos beats a miscellaneous set of good videos. Of course, either could be in the package, and either could be found on YouTube.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank You, and I did not know that about the UK recognizing Sikh as an ethnic group.

It's actually a complicated issue dating back to Indian Independence and Partition, which is itself complicated and has left deep scars.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sifu Harinder Singh is a 23rd generation Tai-Chi Master

Question, anyone have any idea where his taiji comes from?

Not sure what style that would be, but the only styles talking in the range of 20th generation would be Chen and possible Zhaobao....and I do not think either is at the 22nd generation yet. Chen Bing, Chen Ziqiang and a few others are 20th. Chen Zhenglei, Chen Xiaowang, Chen Xiaoxing, Chen Yu are all 19th generation.

I'm 6th in Yang and even if I add in the Chen bits and went for the generic Taiji I am only 20th generation

Latest Discussions