Dream people to train with

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who's the one person you'd love to train with most who you haven't done so already

Personally I've done a lot of reading lately and I'd have loved to train with Joe Lewis. From what I've read he seems to have a lot of the same opinions on subjects as I do. He seems like a no nonsense type of guy who believes in the traditional values while also having a very modern approach to training and working out. I also like his fighting style and his use of the side kick which is my favourite kick and in my opinion a very underrated kick.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i regret never getting to train with Okinawan Goju-Ryu master Anthony Mirakian. he passed away a few years ago. he was only an hour away from me. but like a lot of things in life, we put them off for another day, that will never come.

i would have liked to have trained with Alfred Avril who was a Haitian machete fencing master. again he passed away a few years ago but his son Rolland teaches so maybe there is a chance someday. (probably not but one can dream)

i would like to have trained with the many unknown kung fu masters from Fukian province China who will probably pass away taking their art with them. it seems kinda sad to me that we are losing so much because the next generation doesnt have any interest.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you fence with a machete? It sounds awesome!

Years ago I was told that Panamanians would practice fighting with machetes. Just before they would complete a strike they would turn they blade sideways so if you had not blocked otherwise avoided, you still paid a price, but not a serious cut. I heard my platoon sergeant talk about it and he seemed to be reporting what he had seen, and seemed quite in awe of that type of fighting. I don't know if that is what @hoshin1600 was talking about.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't think of anyone I would wish to have trained with. I trained TKD under Jhoon Goo Rhee before he got into dance,. Then I trained Hapkido under my Grand Master Yi Chong Mun (or Lee Chong Moon), teacher and friend. There is nothing more I could want than to still train under him, but sadly he has passed.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you fence with a machete? It sounds awesome!
this is just a drill, called "taking hits" but i would say its a semi slow sparring where the student is the one working and the teacher is giving the student something to work with.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There’s lots of people I’d have loved to train under during their lifetime. And for a variety of reasons. If they’d take me seriously and I could hang with their training, top people, in no particular order...

Shinyu Gushi of Uechi Ryu/Pangai noon karate. His body conditioning, technique, and everything else associated was top notch from what I saw and heard.

Chojun Miyagi, founder of Goju Ryu. He developed a lot of my favorite kata, and the ones he didn’t develop, he learned them from the one who developed them. So it’s quite obvious that there’d be no unanswered questions about what movements mean, why things are done that way, etc. There wouldn’t be any reverse engineering. It would be very interesting to see how close or far off the bunkai people out there such as Iain Abernethy are. How does his interpretation of Seiunchin or Saiha/Saifa stack up against the guy who developed it or learned it from the guy who created it? Training with Miyagi would answer a ton of questions.

Mas Oyama, founder of Kyokushin. I’ve heard so many stories and read even more. Being on his floor would be an interesting experience, so say the least.

Catskill Boxing Club with Cus D’Amato, Teddy Atlas and Kevin Rooney. Mike Tyson’s style of boxing in his prime is how I’ve always wanted to fight. Under their tutelage, his head and body movement and footwork made him a nearly impossible target to hit. Combine that with his punching power and speed, and his strategy. If I could learn and utilize 1/10 of that, I’d be in a very good place.

Maybe I’ve got all these guys on a pedestal that’s a bit too high. No one’s perfect, and somehow it’s like everyone’s better after they’re gone. Maybe the opposite is true too.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Flying Crane Stupid question, what’s there to dislike in my post?
There’s lots of people I’d have loved to train under during their lifetime. And for a variety of reasons. If they’d take me seriously and I could hang with their training, top people, in no particular order...

Shinyu Gushi of Uechi Ryu/Pangai noon karate. His body conditioning, technique, and everything else associated was top notch from what I saw and heard.

Chojun Miyagi, founder of Goju Ryu. He developed a lot of my favorite kata, and the ones he didn’t develop, he learned them from the one who developed them. So it’s quite obvious that there’d be no unanswered questions about what movements mean, why things are done that way, etc. There wouldn’t be any reverse engineering. It would be very interesting to see how close or far off the bunkai people out there such as Iain Abernethy are. How does his interpretation of Seiunchin or Saiha/Saifa stack up against the guy who developed it or learned it from the guy who created it? Training with Miyagi would answer a ton of questions.

Mas Oyama, founder of Kyokushin. I’ve heard so many stories and read even more. Being on his floor would be an interesting experience, so say the least.

Catskill Boxing Club with Cus D’Amato, Teddy Atlas and Kevin Rooney. Mike Tyson’s style of boxing in his prime is how I’ve always wanted to fight. Under their tutelage, his head and body movement and footwork made him a nearly impossible target to hit. Combine that with his punching power and speed, and his strategy. If I could learn and utilize 1/10 of that, I’d be in a very good place.

Maybe I’ve got all these guys on a pedestal that’s a bit too high. No one’s perfect, and somehow it’s like everyone’s better after they’re gone. Maybe the opposite is true too.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Darren Levine or some other high ranking Krav Maga black belt. I would also say Roy Elghanayan but I read several posts saying that he has a violent temper

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Flying Crane Stupid question, what’s there to dislike in my post?
HA!

Nothing. Looks like I accidentally hit the dislike while scrolling thru on my phone. It’s not the first time that has happened.

I’ve removed it.

I got an alert that you mentioned me in this thread. I thought, “ gee, does he really want to train with me??”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
HA!

Nothing. Looks like I accidentally hit the dislike while scrolling thru on my phone. It’s not the first time that has happened.

I’ve removed it.

I got an alert that you mentioned me in this thread. I thought, “ gee, does he really want to train with me??”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
I found it amusing. I mean, how could someone dislike a post saying who they’d like to train with and all? I figured that’s what happened.

If I ever make it out of San Francisco, I’ll let you know. I can always use a training session of someone beating me up in new ways I haven’t seen before :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i regret never getting to train with Okinawan Goju-Ryu master Anthony Mirakian. he passed away a few years ago. he was only an hour away from me. but like a lot of things in life, we put them off for another day, that will never come.

i would have liked to have trained with Alfred Avril who was a Haitian machete fencing master. again he passed away a few years ago but his son Rolland teaches so maybe there is a chance someday. (probably not but one can dream)

i would like to have trained with the many unknown kung fu masters from Fukian province China who will probably pass away taking their art with them. it seems kinda sad to me that we are losing so much because the next generation doesnt have any interest.

I still kick myself in the **** over this, too. Met him a couple times, wonderful guy, invited me to come down to his dojo, and I always meant to. Damn fool, am I.

That being said...would love to train with Teddy Atlas, Bas Ruten and Joe Rogan. [hey, it's my post, leave me alone!]

But who I would really like to train with is all you guys on MT. I mean, hell, we talk chop until the cows come home, I can only imagine the fun we'd have in person. And I feel like I know you guys a bit. Maybe not much, but there's definitely a kinship. I like kinships. :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
That being said...would love to train with Teddy Atlas, Bas Ruten and Joe Rogan. [hey, it's my post, leave me alone!]
i like Joe Rogan. but i wouldnt want to work out with him. he is like a machine. my self esteem would drop like a rock around that guy. the guys schedule would make an amphetamine / speed addict say "dude ,slow down and take a break for a minute"
jujitsu, hot yoga, 5 mile morning runs while basically bare foot, cryotherapy tank, weights, heavy bag work... he is non stop.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My top five; Miyamoto Musashi, Mas Oyama, Dan Inosanto, Cus D'amato and Chuck Norris,

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But who I would really like to train with is all you guys on MT. I mean, hell, we talk chop until the cows come home, I can only imagine the fun we'd have in person. And I feel like I know you guys a bit. Maybe not much, but there's definitely a kinship. I like kinships. :)
Yup. I can think of some people I would love to train with from here, both because I would seriously enjoy just meeting up with them and training or going to a bar with them. I could also learn an immense amount from the different types of experience everyone on here has got.

Edit: Didn't you suggest a bit ago like a big meet up for everyone on here? Did anything ever come of that?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like Buka's answer. I've been lucky enough to do a little training with a few of the guys from this forum, but I would love to do more.

As far as BJJ instructors go, my current top choices would be :

Bernardo Faria, because I'm currently trying to learn how to emulate his game and he seems like a really nice guy.

Ryan Hall, because he's really good at breaking down concepts and principles.

Rener Gracie, because he's a really good teacher, has the same build as me, and has a similar focus in training.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i like Joe Rogan. but i wouldnt want to work out with him. he is like a machine. my self esteem would drop like a rock around that guy. the guys schedule would make an amphetamine / speed addict say "dude ,slow down and take a break for a minute"
jujitsu, hot yoga, 5 mile morning runs while basically bare foot, cryotherapy tank, weights, heavy bag work... he is non stop.

I'd love to talk with him. Training would be a great way to do so. Several years ago, much to my shocking dismay, both Joe and Bas Rutten [another of my dream choices] were in the Boston area for a UFC show. A cop friend of mine was hanging with them while I happen to drive by where they were - and never even knew they were there. Man, what a bummer.

Joe Rogan's first Martial Instructor [Kenpo] is a good buddy of mine. I'd love to talk with Joe about his memories.

Latest Discussions