Martial Arts for Everyone

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd already learned quite a few things. The instructor is very clear and communicates well. I've been working on the Jeet Tek kick. He explained it well and I'm doing my best at copying it. Will I be as accurate as he is? No, of course not. But in the end anyway no forms or moves are pulled off in the exact fashion as taught. I like to make things my own anyway. Again though, I paid $10 for this LOL. It's no loss. I feel like I've wasted significantly more at a TWC school other than the fight seminars the particular Sifu offers.

The best WC I learned was via private lessons from a very competent Moy Yat instructor. I only completed SLT. That was $50 per lesson. If I felt WC was a more effective art, I would have stuck with it. My focus now first and foremost is having fun and adding things on to a boxing base.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My focus now first and foremost is having fun and adding things on to a boxing base.
Then it sounds like you made a good purchase, based on this focus. You are already happy with your purchase which meets your requirement so anything that anyone else says including me isn't going to be relevant to you having fun.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. that website has all of the Don'ts of website design. I couldn't even read it because of the eye strain.
It's worth the eyestrain. One of the funniest martial arts websites I have ever seen.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I know, many younger Sikhs do not do things the same, mostly due to the society in which they live, example; many do not carry a kirpan. Many older Sikhs in the US do not carry a kirpan either. It is an adaptation to the society in which they live.

My question was not argumentative or accusatory, it was simply a question. I may have missed something in the page, but I did not see anyplace where he identified himself as Sikh. I just want to know what I am missing here. I did notice the name and I did notice the metal wrist band, but that is all. Singh means lion, and it can also be of the old warrior cast, would not surprise me if a person who is a martial artist of that culture, or interested in that culture, adopted the name. There is more than one person in the US that has taken the title of Shigong....but in this case it simply shows they are clueless as to what Shigong mens. However with Singh, using it in martial arts could fit. I know it was mandated by Guru Gobind Singh for all Sikhs, but it was also used by certain members of the warrior cast.

Also, note, he has a Hexagram on his arm, which is from the Bagua and the i-ching and he is wearing a bagua around his neck in one photo, but I do not think he is a Daoist,...Also just noticed, he claims to be a 23 generation Taiji master.... not sure what style that would be since Chen is the oldest and it is only up to 20th generation (Chen Bing). Chen Zhenglei, Chen Xiaowang, Chen Xiaoxing, Chen Yu are all 19th generation.

I don't really know much about Sikhism. But I have talked with an older Sikh where I work. He told me that Sikhs are allowed to wear a symbolic kirpan. It may be shaped like a mini kirpan without a sharp edge, or even a piece of cloth shaped like a kirpan sewn onto their clothing. But he is the only one I really know, so maybe he is the only one who thinks that way.

But he has a full head of hair and a full beard, and wears a turban. I know the temple he worships at, and have seen his photos of the inside of the place. I think he is a practicing fairly devout Sikh. So I believe what he has told me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't really know much about Sikhism. But I have talked with an older Sikh where I work. He told me that Sikhs are allowed to wear a symbolic kirpan. It may be shaped like a mini kirpan without a sharp edge, or even a piece of cloth shaped like a kirpan sewn onto their clothing. But he is the only one I really know, so maybe he is the only one who thinks that way.

But he has a full head of hair and a full beard, and wears a turban. I know the temple he worships at, and have seen his photos of the inside of the place. I think he is a practicing fairly devout Sikh. So I believe what he has told me.

This is all correct. But there are some younger Sikhs in the US that do not carry a kirpan or any representation of it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is all correct. But there are some younger Sikhs in the US that do not carry a kirpan or any representation of it.

I wouldn't be surprised. I guess it is like @Tez3 says, they only think of themselves as an ethnic group and do not wish to practice their religion. Of course I think not practicing the religion of their parents or ethnicity is not strange in any country or any religion

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised. I guess it is like @Tez3 says, they only think of themselves as an ethnic group and do not wish to practice their religion. Of course I think not practicing the religion of their parents or ethnicity is not strange in any country or any religion

Not everyone is religious and we still have free choice, hopefully. Sikhs here don't have to carry a 'mini' one, if they do it's more for convenience that anything. The law here doesn't say it has to be blunt or just symbolic. Sikhs aren't the only ones allowed to carry knives for religious or national reasons.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not everyone is religious and we still have free choice, hopefully. Sikhs here don't have to carry a 'mini' one, if they do it's more for convenience that anything. The law here doesn't say it has to be blunt or just symbolic. Sikhs aren't the only ones allowed to carry knives for religious or national reasons.

Interesting. I didn't know others were also allowed to carry weapons for religious or national reasons.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't know others were also allowed to carry weapons for religious or national reasons.

At my daughter's wedding many of the men were carrying knives including the groom. They were wearing kilts and the traditional Sgian Dubhs tucked into socks. Here you can carry knives for religious reasons and as part of a national dress.

No apologies this is me blatantly showing off my daughter and her husband on the pretext of showing the knife he's carrying. :D:D:D

14028_10206487705025389_3746508794742362202_n.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Groom in the middle, you can see the knives on this one. :D
11755176_10154054358519951_7541926622414809870_n.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my daughter's wedding many of the men were carrying knives including the groom. They were wearing kilts and the traditional Sgian Dubhs tucked into socks. Here you can carry knives for religious reasons and as part of a national dress.

No apologies this is me blatantly showing off my daughter and her husband on the pretext of showing the knife he's carrying. :D:D:D

View attachment 21373

Oddly, I know where the knife "should" be, but I can't see it in your pic...

Sorry, your pretext failed :p

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in an area that is about 33% Sikhs. Never met one that didn't identify as ethnicly punjabi. Never even heard of anyone identifying as ''ethnicly sikh'. It wouldn't make any sense in the context of their religion.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in an area that is about 33% Sikhs. Never met one that didn't identify as ethnicly punjabi. Never even heard of anyone identifying as ''ethnicly sikh'. It wouldn't make any sense in the context of their religion.

Same thing I understand as having been told by Sikhs. Like us Jews they have the problem of race, religion and ethnicity misunderstood and argued about by many.