Martial Artists and Drinking!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
How many of you drink? To put it into catergories choose your one:

1) I drink every night, every friday I go out and get whamed for the hell of it!
2) I drink occasionally, to be sociable and occasionally get drunk but I dont make a point of it
3) I dont drink at all!

The point in this is I'm seeing how many of you consider drinking to be part of self control. I have many other friends who do different Martial Arts, most of mine being Tae Kwon Do and most of them hate being out of control in their own bodies, which drink induces!

What do you think? I personally dont drink at all, I live in Britain where binge drinking around my age is considered hard and manly, however I consider it to show lack of self control and a pathetic way to escape reality, however I do understand the other side of the story. I feel that I'm not being a good Martial Artist if I drink, is this justified or am I just being insecure.

How do you feel about this?

Regards
Nick

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score

Formerly 1, but i'm getting old. heh.

C

c2kenpo

3 is my choice.

Unfortunatly when I started to help teach I realized that I was a role model and that walking around the grocery store with a six pack while I talk to the students mother didn't set the example that I was talking about in class about avoiding the dangers of alcohol and drugs.

I was a category 2 drinker and go back to my college days I made Number 1 look like a picnic. So I have learned the lessons of alcohol very well, and my personal advise is not to due to alcohol being an addictive drug like any other narcotic substance, but I do keep company with drinkers just not practicing alcoholics.

David Gunzburg

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Number 2 I just have one when we are at a chrisymas party..... God Bless America

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say #2 with some changes!! I very rarely drink, but when I do, it is one or two of something socially, for my b-day, etc. I have never been drunk in my 31 years of life- I am one of the people who hates being out of control of my own body.

:asian: :karate:

M

MGM

I don’t drink. But my not drinking is not some kind of Zen "must keep the body pure thing". I just don’t, I haven’t used alcohol since I was a teen.

My husband and friends love having a permanent self appointed designated driver. I even had to drive drunks back to their hotel on my wedding night.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a #1 while in the military. The hang overs started hurting way too much so I gave it up. I may drink a total of 12 beer in a years time. I do fall into the area that says that I don't like the lack of control that comes with the alchohol.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
c2kenpo said:
Unfortunatly when I started to help teach I realized that I was a role model and that walking around the grocery store with a six pack while I talk to the students mother didn't set the example that I was talking about in class about avoiding the dangers of alcohol and drugs.

I disagree with that to an extent...

There was a good article in Black Belt magazine a few years back (I know, a good article in Black Belt? They do manage to sneak in now and then...), I think it was written by Dave Lowry... Anyway, in the article it pointed out that often people look to martial arts instructors as some kind of life skills guru instead of the teacher of a very specific skill set. A martial art teacher is no more qualified to provide life guidance than your high school drafting teacher - both provide specific instruction on a less than widespread subject, both know (hopefully) their material well, and both may have experienced many different situations in life where they have applied their subject matter knowledge. That doesn't mean, though, that they are qualified to provide any kind of guidance on how to live life... No more so, anyway, than the child's parents! And isn't it really their job to tell the kids to stay away from alcohol and drugs?

Admittedly, as instructors we are in the public eye to one degree or another. But we are people with lives. Maybe being seen at the local adult bookstore isn't the best thing for your reputation, and maybe you'll lose students over it, but in my opinion decisions should be made because they are the right thing to do instead of considering yourself a role model...

Just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

Enjoy.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
#3. I don't drink and don't plan to start. I've seen too many of my peers do strange and dumb things when drunk. At these parties (that was way before I got married), I was often the designated driver for them, but there weren't enough DDs to drive them all home. Unfortunately, I've seen a few friends die in alcohol-related car accidents. After I got married, I don't go to these parties any more.

The one time I drank anything alcoholic was when a friend mixed it into the punch and conveniently forgot to tell me. (That was my first party, so I didn't have the experience then to know for myself).

- Ceicei

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
#3. I don't drink and don't plan to start. I've seen too many of my peers do strange and dumb things when drunk. At these parties (that was way before I got married), I was often the designated driver for them, but there weren't enough DDs to drive them all home. Unfortunately, I've seen a few friends die in alcohol-related car accidents. After I got married, I don't go to these parties any more.

The one time I drank anything alcoholic was when a friend mixed it into the punch and conveniently forgot to tell me. (That was my first party, so I didn't have the experience then to know for myself).

- Ceicei

Ceicei, Driving for a living really puts the punctuation on your point of people driving drunk. I've seen so many people die drunk (and often been the first person on the scene) that even though it was the hangovers and dislike for the loss of self control that made me stop drinking for the most part it's the folks that I see on the side of the road, dead at the hands of a drunk driver. The thread here about BAC and the .08 limit is useless to me as the limit for the commercial drivers among us is .04. If I have even 1 beer with dinner my wife drives. I can't afford to lose my livlihood.

C

c2kenpo

Matt Stone said:
I disagree with that to an extent...

There was a good article in Black Belt magazine a few years back (I know, a good article in Black Belt? They do manage to sneak in now and then...), I think it was written by Dave Lowry... Anyway, in the article it pointed out that often people look to martial arts instructors as some kind of life skills guru instead of the teacher of a very specific skill set. A martial art teacher is no more qualified to provide life guidance than your high school drafting teacher - both provide specific instruction on a less than widespread subject, both know (hopefully) their material well, and both may have experienced many different situations in life where they have applied their subject matter knowledge. That doesn't mean, though, that they are qualified to provide any kind of guidance on how to live life... No more so, anyway, than the child's parents! And isn't it really their job to tell the kids to stay away from alcohol and drugs?

Admittedly, as instructors we are in the public eye to one degree or another. But we are people with lives. Maybe being seen at the local adult bookstore isn't the best thing for your reputation, and maybe you'll lose students over it, but in my opinion decisions should be made because they are the right thing to do instead of considering yourself a role model...

Just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

Enjoy.

Matt

I agree with you wholehartedly, parents need to take more responsibility but intodays society I think we all could use a little help! Myself included.
I have many teachers back in my school days that wer role models to me even if they never thought of themselves as one. Many of my instructors that I have had are role models to me now that I strive to show the same level of commitment and perserverance as they have.
Being part of a community is more then just my instruction, it is where I work and how my attitude is there, even when I am just mowing my lawn I try to help out in the neighborhood. A role model to me is someone who sets the bar a step higher.....buts tired to help everyone get there at the same time. But for my own reasons as to why I choose not to involve alchol in my life.

Coming from a previously VERY UNHEALTHY lifestyle of smoking and drinking. I DECIDED to make a change and I did that before I became an instructor.
When I stopped smoking and drinking life and people actually did become a bit more interesting LOL.
My choice is my choice and I am actually happier because yes friends have a designated driver I do prefer to be more in control of my body so yes it is my decision. But I looked at it from that added benefit, as a parent and as a teacher.
Kids today have role models. Who are they? My son liked one of the rap stars that was arrested for agravated assault and other crimes, do you think I encouraged him as a role model? No. I would rather be one of his role models.

A Martial Artist should have some responsibilites I think, but that is my opinion. Everyone has thier own choice. I never begrudge it nor critisize it. I may disagree with someones reasons but it is still thier choice.

Have a great day. :asian:

David Gunzburg

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm 16 and already I've seen enough parties to hate what people do, one having involved things I really didn't want to see. I have to mention that yes I do know it is the law here that I'm not yet old enough to drink, however I want to be in the Police and that I know the law states that you are allowed to drink in your own home or on others property with their permission.
Anyway all of my friends drink apart from one, another buddy who does Tae Kwon Do, oddly enough the only two Martial Artists and none-drinkers in our year!
I'm torn between drinking to be sociable now, or not drinking because I dont want to be out of control (wouldn't go that far anyway). Am I missing out on a part of life because I'm not drinking or going to drink therefore going to miss out on things in university?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
I have to mention that yes I do know it is the law here that I'm not yet old enough to drink, however I want to be in the Police and that I know the law states that you are allowed to drink in your own home or on others property with their permission.

I am a paralegal and work with the interpretation of law daily. Believe what you like, but I really doubt that there is a caveat like that for underage drinking. The law states, generally, that minors under XX age are prohibited from imbibing alcohol. Period. If I were you, I'd check that one and be sure to have a copy of your state's criminal code on you when the cops bust the party for being too loud...

Anyway all of my friends drink apart from one, another buddy who does Tae Kwon Do, oddly enough the only two Martial Artists and none-drinkers in our year!

You said your buddy is a martial artist, but then you said he practices TKD... So which is it? Is he a TKD student or a martial artist? :idunno: :uhyeah: :boing2:

I'm torn between drinking to be sociable now, or not drinking because I dont want to be out of control (wouldn't go that far anyway). Am I missing out on a part of life because I'm not drinking or going to drink therefore going to miss out on things in university?

What is there to miss out on, not imbibing a toxic substance? Are you "missing out" because you aren't poisoned and puking up your spleen the morning after a party, doing poorly on exams, feeling dried up and beat on? Sure, why not... :shrug:

I didn't have my first beer until I was 22. Didn't get drunk until I was 24. I still don't drink to excess. When I do drink, I'll have one just because I like the taste of it, but never more than one or two beers at a sitting...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm 16 and already I've seen enough parties to hate what people do, one having involved things I really didn't want to see. I have to mention that yes I do know it is the law here that I'm not yet old enough to drink, however I want to be in the Police and that I know the law states that you are allowed to drink in your own home or on others property with their permission.

I stopped drinking for a long while right before my 16th birthday. Yes boys and girls, I stopped drinking at almost 16 and started when I 13.

Positive to this was that I was the designated driver even when people were not drinking. I got to drive almost all the time. I also told people I choose not to do it. I did not say it was for religous reasons (* which are valid *) because it opens up ridicule.

Now if I have a drink it is one or two beers and only two if I am going to be at that location for more than three hours. Just my rule, no one questions it.

If you choose to walk the straight edge do it with your head held high and do expect others to follow you. You are doing this for yourself. This is the best advice that comes to my mind at this point in time.

Good Luck :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Thanks for the feedback!

I like drinking, but let me tell you I didn't drink at all until I was 19, and that was I could do so legally in Canada.

My advise to you is, don't drink until you can do so legally, and when you are of legal age, don't get drunk. There are many reasons why I give this advice, so l'll try to keep it short.

1. It's illegal, and if you get an MIP or something like that, your in for headaches that really aren't worth the couple of beers.

2. Because of the way alcahol is treated by our culture, american teen's as a whole don't know how to drink responsibly. Even if you are the responsable one, the majority of the people you'll be around won't be. Poor behavior breeds poor behavior, and that is just the way it goes. If you drink with other teenagers, it will be virtually impossably to not be effected negatively by it.

3. The act of getting "drunk" or "high" puts your mind in an altered state, and can act as an escape. By "escaping" like this on a weekly basis as some do, you hinder your personal growth. An artificial substance becomes a way of coping.

4. It is wasteful of your talent and abilities. Your youth is a critical time. You should be having fun and living it up, but at the same time you should be building good habits that you can carry into your adulthood. This goes for all sorts of stuff other then "drinking." If you have poor study habits now, you may struggle with this in college. If you vegitate in from of the TV 4 hours a day, then this habit will carry over as well. If your disorganized now, you will have trouble with this as an adult. If your diet is horrable as a kid, you will risk health problems later on when your metabolism changes.

The same goes from "social drinking" habits as a teenager. When I was in High school, here was the trend. Someone would plan a party; out in a field, or at someones house when the parents weren't home, or wherever. Everyone would spend Wednesday through Friday talking about it and getting ready for it. Then, they party, get drunk, and get chased out by the police. They all meet up at the nearest fast food place to talk about their adventures that night. The next week they spend monday and tuesday talking about how "sweet" the party was, and "dude did you see alex throw up" and bla blah bla. Entering into Wednesday/Thursday when plans are laid out for the next "gathering."

DO YOU SEE THE TREND? These Teens I grew up with...their whole lives revolved around alcahol. They weren't substance abusers or alcaholics or addicts; these were your "normal" kids. Yet, their whole lives revolved around this cycle of partying. How much time do you they think they spent reading, learning, training, and stimulating their minds? Only enough time to get good enough grades so they could go to Michigan State U to go drink some more. Many of these kids who are now my age (mid-twenties) can't figure out why they are unhappy even though their parents STILL pay their way. They can't figure out how I was able to do things in Martial Arts, get a degree, maintain good job status, and so on, when my family wasn't Rich and their's were. I used to hear all the time from non-working college students, "Dude, I don't know how you have time for martial arts and working out; I just have no time with school." When I went to school like them, except I also worked 2 jobs to put me through it. I "had the time" because I didn't "socially drink" my way through H.S. and college.

You see there is a big difference between a working man going to the bar at the end of the week, kicking back with friends and talking about the week, then the cycle of behavior that follows most H.S. and College drinkers.

So, besides all the "bad stuff" they tell you in school about alcahol, listen to this advice. The biggest problem with drinking at an early age isn't that you'll become a full blown alcaholic, the biggest problem is that you could be hindering your abilities to reach your potential.

So, my advice is worth repeating. Wait until your of age to drink, dude.

PAUL

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
I am a paralegal and work with the interpretation of law daily. Believe what you like, but I really doubt that there is a caveat like that for underage drinking. The law states, generally, that minors under XX age are prohibited from imbibing alcohol. Period. If I were you, I'd check that one and be sure to have a copy of your state's criminal code on you when the cops bust the party for being too loud...

I live in Britain in which the law states that drinking on you own property no matter what age you are is entirely legal (something along those lines anyway). Of course that includes you dont cause intimidation, violence etc or violate any public disorder acts (as you said with noise).

My buddy does Tae Kwon Do, so that technically makes him a Martial Artist or am I interpretating wrongly?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Matt Stone said:

I live in Britain in which the law states that drinking on you own property no matter what age you are is entirely legal (something along those lines anyway). Of course that includes you dont cause intimidation, violence etc or violate any public disorder acts (as you said with noise).

My buddy does Tae Kwon Do, so that technically makes him a Martial Artist or am I interpretating wrongly?

Excuse me. Your in Britain. Dude, you should have said that before! I don't know what the mentality or culture is over their...my advice may or may not still stand. I was thinking your in the states.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:

That would have been helpful information before hand... In the US it is very simple - if you are underage, you don't drink. Period.

First, that was a joke... :uhyeah: Second, if he does TKD, I'm not quite sure what that makes him... Third, that was a joke, too. :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions