TWC vs MMA

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
A Wing Chun fighter entering a no-head-contact tournament is like a TKD man entering a boxing match. :banghead:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, not all TKD is just kicks, that's the Olympic type, 'Proper' TKD would do well against a boxer.

Aren't we tired by now of these style v style videos purporting to show off whichever style the person posting is doing?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So what were the rules? Strikes to the body and legs only, takedowns allowed but with no groundwork?

Seems those rules would disadvantage an MMA fighter just as much as a Wing Chun practitioner. (Actually, most styles would end up missing essential parts of the repertoire. Maybe a Kyukushin stylist would do well.)

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To be fair, not all TKD is just kicks, that's the Olympic type, 'Proper' TKD would do well against a boxer.

To be fair, there is no such thing as "Olympic" Taekwondo. What you have is Kukkiwon-alligned clubs focusing their training time to a varying degree on the WTF ruleset, which is used in the Olympics, and other organizations, such as the three different ITFs and ATA, which focus their training on their own rulesets. Still, there are are a bunch of clubs alligned with the Kukkiwon who also trains a lot of hands, and don't put as much emphasis on WTF competition sparring in their training.

In Norway, as an example, we have at least(that I know of) two large TKD-organizations grading their students under Kukkiwon, and teaching the Kukkiwon forms, while at the same time putting a lot of emphasis on hands. One of them is even teaching boxing-type punches, using boxing gloves and permitting punches to the head in sparring. Those who want to fucus on WTF-type competition do ofcourse train more towards that, but everyone has to spar with gloves and punches to the head after a certain level in regular training and as part of grading.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Aren't we tired by now of these style v style videos purporting to show off whichever style the person posting is doing?
-------------------------------------

Tiresome videos. Good wing chun involves does not have those relatively wise stationary stances and an overly extended forward hand.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I admit that after four minutes I got bored and skimmed the rest of the tape. So for what it's worth here's my take on it:

I wouldn't call this WC or MMA. The rule-set wasn't specified, but as Tony pointed out there was no punching to the head and no groundwork. Also I saw no clinchwork and no good throws ...only a few poorly executed double-leg attempts countered by backing up?!? One attempt succeeded but then the ref immediately separated the fighters! Not fair to WC, and really not fair to MMA. What's the point, exercise?

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol every time the wing chun guy charges in with a bunch of straight punches the mma guy moved back outside the ring and nothing happens.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I admit that after four minutes I got bored and skimmed the rest of the tape. So for what it's worth here's my take on it:

I wouldn't call this WC or MMA. The rule-set wasn't specified, but as Tony pointed out there was no punching to the head and no groundwork. Also I saw no clinchwork and no good throws ...only a few poorly executed double-leg attempts countered by backing up?!? One attempt succeeded but then the ref immediately separated the fighters! Not fair to WC, and really not fair to MMA. What's the point, exercise?

Bit of fun. I suppose.

jhexx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but the WC guy seemed to not position his back leg correctly. But everyone is different. I know when I do my own stance, I always make sure that back leg has support and weight on it, more than the front leg does to keep that front step "springy", while staying grounded in my center of balance.

Latest Discussions