Last Resorts

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WhiteRose said:
*quick scan-over* Aich!
No worries. There is nothing inappropiate. Just a tackle. However, my mom is a tinse against physical play all-together. I think she's had my step-dad stop, since I haven't fought him for months. She worries that one day we'll get hurt. My sisters and I even have little wrestles and she gets flustered.

So no need to worry about me ^_^
Good, I'm glad to hear it's all in good fun. As far as your mom goes that's her job - to worry LOL! Thanks for letting us know though, sometimes people here just want to protect and mean no harm. I used to wrestle with my brother and sisters all the time when I was younger. I swear that is why I can do what I do in Kenpo today! They gave me my early training. It took away some of the fear I think. Eventhough you haven't wrestled like this in awhile what do you think it's taught you about defending yourself?

OP
W

WhiteRose

Things I've learned about my defense...
In sister fights (you know, locking hands and trying to push/wrestle the other one further than the other can), I know I have a lot of back-up strength. Just when one would think I'm cornered and done, I shove back hard with my shoulders and powered by my legs. (I think that's why at some point in life I thought I could make a good sumo-wrestler ^^ lol!)
My younger sis once called me an ox ^^ which funnily enough is my chinese zodiac sign, but anyway
I'm able to bide, able to take a hit or last through a tackle, and then be able to retaliate with more strength. ^^ Very helpful at times.

Oh ^^ and your little story of your last resort in the dojo was quite amusing, lol. I'm sure I would've unleashed the headbutting in that situation.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WhiteRose said:
Things I've learned about my defense...
In sister fights (you know, locking hands and trying to push/wrestle the other one further than the other can), I know I have a lot of back-up strength. Just when one would think I'm cornered and done, I shove back hard with my shoulders and powered by my legs. (I think that's why at some point in life I thought I could make a good sumo-wrestler ^^ lol!)
My younger sis once called me an ox ^^ which funnily enough is my chinese zodiac sign, but anyway
I'm able to bide, able to take a hit or last through a tackle, and then be able to retaliate with more strength. ^^ Very helpful at times.
Ha ha ha ha ha a sumo-wrestler maybe, but a great Martial Artist for sure! You've taken a lot from these "training sessions". I know a few guys who don't know how to take a hit :) ...or a hint for that matter :whip: LOL

Oh ^^ and your little story of your last resort in the dojo was quite amusing, lol. I'm sure I would've unleashed the headbutting in that situation.
OK *giggle* let's each promise to keep working on finding a better solution first...sound good?

MJ :asian:

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For any self defense training to be useful, some reality has to be injected into the training.
Sometime during the training, women students have to work their techniques on men. They have to be realistically challenged by the physical strength and size advantage men have. No, they don't have to be beat to a pulp. But they do have to learn how to make their skills work against a man.

Now the question you have to ask is: Would you rather have your 19 year old daughter rolling on the floor with her father, brother, stepfather, or some strange man in karate class?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thought I'd revive this thread and see what all you folks think about last resorts?

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
ginshun said:
Holy accusation Batman!!

I mean come on, you are talking to a 19 y/o woman here, I think she is in a little better position to judge motives than you. Plus you know nothing of the situation, he may have been her stepdad since she was born.

Wow.
Well, I must admit, the "impropriety" thought crossed my mind, too. However,
since the girl is old enough to know right from wrong and judge comfortable vs. uncomfortable, I just kind of accepted it as an odd family activity.
She seems pretty OK with what happens in her posts. One question:
Does stepdad do this when the mom is around, too? Or just when you are alone? I don't think we know enough about the situation to get too judgemental, but I agree that it's pretty unusual, and could easily be mis-construed as something potentially more sinister.

As for the head-butting, go easy on it. If you must do it, make sure to use the top of your forehead where it just starts to curve towards the top of your head. That's the thickest part of your skull, and gives your brain the most protection.

The pinches work great if someone's on top of you. Grab a SMALL fold of skin with each hand in the rib area or the triceps, and squeeze hard as you push the person away from you. You don't want a big fold of skin. If you do it right, the person will become very "cooperative" for a moment, giving you a chance to escape.

Latest Discussions