Last Resorts

W

WhiteRose

If one defend themselves well enough, they'll never be pinned down into defeat. But obviously, when one is, that's when you start lashing out your last resorts.

In my case, I have a step-dad...who I think did get pretty high in Tae Kwon Do as a kid, and he always likes to test we daughters. Occasionally, he'll leap on one of us and pin us down, leaving us to choose to try and struggle out or to submit.
Naturally, I fight, because I also want to see how much damage I can do. Rightly angled and swung/thrust, my legs can kill. I don't really claw. I bite. Then comes my ultimate last resort: head-butting.
I don't know why, but my head doesn't feel pain. I've crashed headfirst into the floor, hit my head into walls on many occasions, but I've gotten away with at least a slight headache. And I use it as a final weapon towards my step-dad. Why final? Because eventually, so help me, he gives up.
Is there some explanation to that?

Aside from that, does anyone else ever have to bring out last resorts (if so, what? for sake of conversation), or are you all able to keep from getting pinned? (I could use some advice there ^^)

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
My sons when I attack them in play. It gets pretty ruff around my house pressure points, arm lock,submition holds and a few throws(all in fun)The eldest boys never give up we will screw around for hours

gakusei

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Try a pinch. Very simple but very effective. By the rib cage, inside of the arm, inside of the thigh work very well. But, take what you can get.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm likely to use everything at my disposal for a given situation from the get-go. The obvious exceptions would be limits imposed for "friendly play", and the damn recuiprocity laws on weapons (though honestly, if it's not "friendly play", I've probably avoided anything that doesn't warrant weapons).

If there is something I'm willing to do under the given conditions... I'll do it long before I "am loosing". If I'm not willing to do it, I'm willing to loose not doing it (believe me, I spent a lot of time making sure I could "not cheat" just because I was loosing at something friendly). It's a big mistake (in real fights) to reserve something. At the point you are desperate, it's far less likely to help you than if it had been employed early and often.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WhiteRose,

Wow, first let me say I think it is amazing that your step-dad challenges you in that way. Hopefully neither of you seriously gets hurt from this. One thing is certain you are continually being pushed to your instinctual limit and that should hopefully give you the confidence to do whatever it takes if someone were attacking you for real. Although, I must say those head-butts sound pretty real! For me a last resort like you describe was only needed once in the dojo. I was pinned by two guys at the same time and I couldn't move and it was an intense moment and without thinking I sunk my teeth into the closest arm to my mouth and broke that guy's hold which allowed me to hammer the other guy and escape. For lots of other reasons that day he deserved it, but I did feel bad later, and wished some of my other training could have helped me to prevent that pin to begin with, but I did learn that I will do what it takes...so to me that's a good thing to know.

MJ :)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
WhiteRose said:
Then comes my ultimate last resort: head-butting.
I don't know why, but my head doesn't feel pain. I've crashed headfirst into the floor, hit my head into walls on many occasions, but I've gotten away with at least a slight headache. And I use it as a final weapon towards my step-dad. Why final? Because eventually, so help me, he gives up. Is there some explanation to that?
You may not feel pain, but that doesn't mean you're not doing damage. Blunt head trauma is not a good thing because even though your head feels solid, it's basically a big squishy sponge inside floating in a pool of liquid. Everytime you hit something with it, that big sponge rattles around in there causing damage. If you need an example, look at most of your retired boxers. I'm wagering most of them suffer from some level of physical brain disorder caused by blunt trauma.

Whiterose said:
Aside from that, does anyone else ever have to bring out last resorts (if so, what? for sake of conversation), or are you all able to keep from getting pinned? (I could use some advice there ^^)
I don't think there's much I wouldn't try if it came to last resorts. Nerve pinching, Eye gouging, biting, throat punching, etc etc. Just depends on the situation.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rosarito Beach is my last resort. I have to drive through Tiajuana to get there, and just about always have to deal with Federale's over speed traps. So, in general, I prefer to go somewhere else first, permitting.

D.

OP
T

TonyM.

Ah, the pinch. thats a good one . What OUMoose said about trauma is spot on. It will catch up to you later and you will spend the rest of your life dealing with it. This from someone who's head has hit, other heads, fists, feet, nightsticks, baston, a '66 Bonneville, a'78 Coranado, a C141 Starlifter, trees and the Earth.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
WhiteRose said:
If one defend themselves well enough, they'll never be pinned down into defeat. But obviously, when one is, that's when you start lashing out your last resorts.

In my case, I have a step-dad...who I think did get pretty high in Tae Kwon Do as a kid, and he always likes to test we daughters. Occasionally, he'll leap on one of us and pin us down, leaving us to choose to try and struggle out or to submit.
Naturally, I fight, because I also want to see how much damage I can do. Rightly angled and swung/thrust, my legs can kill. I don't really claw. I bite. Then comes my ultimate last resort: head-butting.
I don't know why, but my head doesn't feel pain. I've crashed headfirst into the floor, hit my head into walls on many occasions, but I've gotten away with at least a slight headache. And I use it as a final weapon towards my step-dad. Why final? Because eventually, so help me, he gives up.

If your talking about just horsing around with the family like this it is one thing. If, on the other hand, you mean in a real life self defense situation it is TOTALLY DIFFERENT in what you can and can't do within the scope of justified force.

It isn't a question of 'last resort' as much as 'appropriate.'

If you are simply being harassed, delayed or pestered, kicking/beating is excessive response and will get you a visit from the men in blue. But, if the situation is that you fear for your safety/life by a 'reasonable' estimation, then you don't have to start soft and go hard later - you can hit has hard, often or use any applications that will effectively neutralize the threat.

If you work from that mentallity, the 'last resort' mentallity isn't a real issue because there is no 'last resort' to deal with.

If a person poses a reasonable, but not deadly threat, you are justified to use a certain level of force. As you are scuffling and trying to get away, if the level of force escalates (grabbed by the neck, weapons appear...) you can crank up your response to the appropriate level that will neutralize that threat.

I don't wait until the last resort for anything. If I have reasonable perception of a threat, if I have no avenue of escape AND the Bad guys intent is reasonably clear I simply do what I have to do to get out of there. If the situation gets more deadly, I can change to match that level of threat...

OP
W

WhiteRose

I know for a fact that if I were ever truly attacked, things would run completely different. God help me 9o9
^^ I'll have to keep in mind that pinching thing, though, for future play-fights.

As for the head damage ^^ Okays. Even though I don't feel anything now, I'll try to keep it safe. Just thinking abut some of those past boxers/wrestlers helped me realize the potential damage. Thanks for that.

OP
K

Knifehand

In a fight, like all out fight to the death...It would depend on if my life was in jeporady(SP!!), i mean serious danger! If i were pinned, i might go with a head butt, however, if i were still standing and they were trying to kill me, Phakeso Sang Dan Soo Do Kong Kyuck (side hand strike) to the Neck or temple. It can be a death blow if done properly, but that would be a last last resort.

My first resort is words... I always give them a chance to walk away...But they never listen...That was also before i took up Tang Soo Do, i haven't gotten into a fight since i joined TSD, so for that i can be happy.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me say two things.

First, I do NOT advocate "jumping" someone as a test of their skill, even in play. When you are jumped, you enter the "self defense" mindset, and it is very easy for someone to get hurt. A friend of mine tried that once or twice. He learned the hard way you really should not.

Second, your step-dad does this to you? Aside from bordering on assault, I've read too many cases of sexual assault in these circumstances to be comfortable with it. It's not hard for me to believe he has motives other than testing you.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Let me say two things.

First, I do NOT advocate "jumping" someone as a test of their skill, even in play. When you are jumped, you enter the "self defense" mindset, and it is very easy for someone to get hurt. A friend of mine tried that once or twice. He learned the hard way you really should not.

Second, your step-dad does this to you? Aside from bordering on assault, I've read too many cases of sexual assault in these circumstances to be comfortable with it. It's not hard for me to believe he has motives other than testing you.
Holy accusation Batman!!

I mean come on, you are talking to a 19 y/o woman here, I think she is in a little better position to judge motives than you. Plus you know nothing of the situation, he may have been her stepdad since she was born.

Wow.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not accusing him of anything. What I am saying is that a step-dad should NOT be doing that to a step-daughter, even if only to test her. It just doesn't look right. Your father should be someone you feel comfortable around, not the Kato character from Pink Panther who was waiting in the closet to attack.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will say, this is an unusual family activity, but it does not seem fair to judge this step-dads intentions from here. Instead we can ask this: White Rose does this behavior that is initiated by your step-dad make you or your sister (if you've discussed it with her) feel uncomfortable in any way? Has anyone ever gotten seriously hurt during these "mock attacks"? I agree with OUMouse about the head butts and possible long term damage, and I'm glad you aware of that now.

loki09789 said:
I don't wait until the last resort for anything. If I have reasonable perception of a threat, if I have no avenue of escape AND the Bad guys intent is reasonably clear I simply do what I have to do to get out of there. If the situation gets more deadly, I can change to match that level of threat...
Good advice Paul! :)

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I'm not accusing him of anything. What I am saying is that a step-dad should NOT be doing that to a step-daughter, even if only to test her. It just doesn't look right. Your father should be someone you feel comfortable around, not the Kato character from Pink Panther who was waiting in the closet to attack.
Sorry, but exactly who are you to decide what is and isn't appropriate to a family other than your own? I am sure that there are plenty of people out there who think that teaching 12 y/o's matial arts in inappropriate, but that is most likely becasue they know nothing about it. Kind of the same way that none of us know anything about this family. I would say that 19 is plenty old to be able to decide for yourself what you feel comfortable with, and it seems pretty obvious that White Rose isn't offended or made to feel uncomfortable by these mock attacks or tests or whatever you want to call them.

I really wonder if you would have brought up sexual assault if she had just said dad and not step dad, pretty doubtful. Seems like a pretty big jump in the context of the rest of the thread, and one that shouldn't be made.

but I am off topic, and I am sorry.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WhiteRose said:

Avoid Headbutting!!! Sure it cause you no pain, but the blood in your eyes will suck when you need to gather visual information to further survive the encounter.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Let me say two things.

I think you just read way too much into this. It wouldn't be hard for anyone to believe anything once their mind starts racing. Why did you choose a profession that puts you in charge of lots of children? My mind is racing.
Sean

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean,
What profession do you think I do that puts me in contact with lots of children?

Anyway,

Instead of saying "Why don't you try this in this situation", did it not occur to anyone that perhaps, just perhaps, it is not appropriate for this man to be mock assaulting his step-daughter like this? I'm not accusing the guy of actually being improper with his stepdaughter. I am saying that a father or stepfather should act honorably around his children. In other words, act like a father. That does not include "jumping them" to see how they react. She said it herself. She suffers injuries during these tests. If I mock assaulted a son or daughter of mine to test how they react, and injured them in the process, I would feel horrible. In addition to what my wife would say to me! That is not my job. My job is to teach, guide, and support them as my children, not cause them injury.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Sean,
What profession do you think I do that puts me in contact with lots of children?

Anyway,

Instead of saying "Why don't you try this in this situation", did it not occur to anyone that perhaps, just perhaps, it is not appropriate for this man to be mock assaulting his step-daughter like this? I'm not accusing the guy of actually being improper with his stepdaughter. I am saying that a father or stepfather should act honorably around his children. In other words, act like a father. That does not include "jumping them" to see how they react. She said it herself. She suffers injuries during these tests. If I mock assaulted a son or daughter of mine to test how they react, and injured them in the process, I would feel horrible. In addition to what my wife would say to me! That is not my job. My job is to teach, guide, and support them as my children, not cause them injury.
If this is where they find common ground with eachother who are you to tell him how a father should behave? Are you a step parent, or are you just pontificating?
Sean

Latest Discussions