Last Resorts

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Sean,
I am saying that a father or stepfather should act honorably around his children. In other words, act like a father. That does not include "jumping them" to see how they react. She said it herself. She suffers injuries during these tests. If I mock assaulted a son or daughter of mine to test how they react, and injured them in the process, I would feel horrible. In addition to what my wife would say to me! That is not my job. My job is to teach, guide, and support them as my children, not cause them injury.
Let me play a little Devil's Advocate here:

So how would you feel if that mock assault ended up saving this girl's life in a REAL assault case, because she was prepared for it?

Which is better, the injury sustained while training someone to defend themselves, or the injury sustained in an assault?

Also, I would think that different people relate to their families differently. The martial arts family might relate in a martial way. People get injured training all the time. If you are taught by your parent and they injure you, is that wrong?

I'm not saying that it's right or it's wrong what this girl's stepfather is doing because I can't. I don't know the whole story. But MichiganTKD--just because you have a certain set of family values doesn't mean that everybody has to have the same set you do, or that your values are better or worse than another family.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In traditional Islamic families, it is not uncommon for male members to murder a female member who they believe has dishonored herself and the family. But hey, that's their custom. Who am I to say otherwise?

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
In traditional Islamic families, it is not uncommon for male members to murder a female member who they believe has dishonored herself and the family. But hey, that's their custom. Who am I to say otherwise?
Isn't that a rather extreme example?

Way to avoid the question.;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Yeah, who are you to say? Right, you havent' studied the custom so you don't know where it comes from. In western society the offending girls death is left up to drug overdose or a random john. I suppose we are being more humane, but what does that have to do with this thread?
Sean

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean,

You might want to put some more thought into your responses so they make more sense. I don't care if you are a "Moderator". There is no excuse for being unintelligible.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am sooooooo soooory! please tell me what you didn't understand and I will try to re-state it for you in terms you may understand. Did I mis-spell something?

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean,

If you are going to represent Martial Talk as a Moderator or other staff member, my advice to you is to conduct yourself at least semi-professionally. Otherwise, you come off looking like an immature ***. If you cannot do this, or choose not to, then give the position to someone who can. There is nothing wrong with admitting you are not cut out for something.
And if you continue to respond the way you have been, I will go over your head until the problem is solved. I refuse to have someone with your attitude overseeing my contributions.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Last time I checked, murder was illegal, and tackling a freind (or family member) in play or to test them wasn't. Nice try though.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not illegal, no.

However, there is a difference between one friend testing another friend's abilities, risky though that may be. Two friends, or even classmates, are pretty equal in standing. My friend is the same level as me.
A step-father tackling his daughter and testing her abilities, though perhaps not illegal, is unseemly because it is his daughter. You do not subject your children to that, especially a female child if you are a father. It just doesn't look right. If she had to go to the hospital and explain what happened, you think the hospital staff wouldn't be a little suspicious?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, lets try to avoid the personal shots and return to the topic.

If someone has a problem with a post or a member here, use the RTM, state your concerns and it'll be addressed.

Thanks,

Mike

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Not illegal, no.

However, there is a difference between one friend testing another friend's abilities, risky though that may be. Two friends, or even classmates, are pretty equal in standing. My friend is the same level as me.
A step-father tackling his daughter and testing her abilities, though perhaps not illegal, is unseemly because it is his daughter. You do not subject your children to that, especially a female child if you are a father. It just doesn't look right. If she had to go to the hospital and explain what happened, you think the hospital staff wouldn't be a little suspicious?
Ya, your right. A daughter getting hurt while roughhousing with her dad just sceams sexual abuse.

Man I hope you are not working in the emergancy room if I ever have to take my daughter there.

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually, as sad as it sounds, that would be a huge red flag for any emergency room if if a girl came in who was injured by her stepfather.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Trust me, I work in a hospital. We have to undergo training about these situations. You may think it was innocent fun and games or training. We have to assume otherwise.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Comment..

When a Mod posts in a topic.. without the Mod Signature.. they are posting as members, Not Moderators.

Emotions run high on some topics, I've seen Catholic Priests in a pub getting into it with lay people on heated Topics.. whilst downing a pint.. Did anyone go up to these priests and demand they 'Act the way we deem them to?' Hell no... They weren't breaking any laws.. they are Human.. They were voicing their thoughts, concerns and be they not in agreement with their compatriots.. it didn't matter.. they were expressing their 'Freedom of Speech'..

So Lay off the attacks .. if a Mod is acting unprofessionally when whilst doing Mod Duties.. then bring it to our attention. If he/she is acting as a member. Then leave their status of mod out of the topic.

~Tess

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, as sad as it sounds, that would be a huge red flag for any emergency room if if a girl came in who was injured by her stepfather.
Red flag or not, I think a 19 year old is plenty capable of deciding for herself whether or not the actions are innapropriate. What exactly are you saying whould come from this "red flag"

MichiganTKD said:
Trust me, I work in a hospital. We have to undergo training about these situations. You may think it was innocent fun and games or training. We have to assume otherwise.
Based on a girl laying in an emergancy room with a busted arm or neck maybe you can assume otherwise, but not based on what has been said here.

Again, maybe if she was 12 the situation would be different, but she is 19 for gods sake.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I was obviously unclear so in the spirit of conversation I will re-try. In the old days disobidient children meant death for a family or that member. As you have read slaterns and thieves were stoned to death by the fellow villiagers. The most loving thing a father could do was to be the one to end her life instead of just handing her over to the local mob. The dead girl also served as an example to other siblings. This doesn't look so loving to westerners but lets look at western society for one sec. The key word for western society would be neglect. Fathers and mothers abandon their children all the time to some degree or another. Eventualy these /children women die, or have children and continue the cycle of neglect that they came from. Lets not forget the children terminated before birth. But an ounce of Logic is worth a ton of tradition ehh MTKD?
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Topic.. topic
Right, of course... anyways I'm sure your seeing constant trauma in the emergency room can make you accutely aware of what I'm talking about, but when and two consenting adults rough-house, I can see where a person with rigid standards of training may feel that unorthodox training and a non-traditional parental relationship could raise your eyebrows.
Sean

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. So yur arguement goes something like "While possibly very practical and useful, play-fighting with your daughter is considered unseemly in some cultures... who are you to say they are wrong".

One supposes that, in a discussion of what is actually good or bad behavior, wheather it's considered such by a culture is not very interesting.

OP
W

WhiteRose

*quick scan-over* Aich!
No worries. There is nothing inappropiate. Just a tackle. However, my mom is a tinse against physical play all-together. I think she's had my step-dad stop, since I haven't fought him for months. She worries that one day we'll get hurt. My sisters and I even have little wrestles and she gets flustered.

So no need to worry about me ^_^

Latest Discussions