Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something I've been wondering about those changeovers...

A shop that makes air filters I can see making a switch fairly easily; many of the materials are similar if not the same, just the way they're put together. Even there, though, I can see problems...

But for Ford, Chevy, Tesla, etc. to switch an assembly line from making cars to making ventilators... That seems a big change. Like if they've got robots designed to move car doors... how well are they going to handle the components for a ventilator? I have this image of me with my sausage fingers trying to handle the tiny Lego guns... I've seen one explanation of how they're supposedly switching an interior fan over to a portable filter set up... but even that seems like it's not a real simple changeover, especially as so much of the assembly line stuff today is automated.
It is a challenge. These are Tier suppliers, not assembly facilities which require heavy orchestration and merge lines. A lot of it is facilitated by companies who have surplus/spare tooling, dies and webbing but no capacity to run them. Webbing lines and tooling for almost anything imaginable have many commonalities in regards to the presses, stranders, and equipment they run on. Plus the tooling is not too large so once it is installed in the presses/equipment (manually) they will not move again. No kind of quick change available.
There are quite a lot of conveyance, gauging, and robotic work we will have to do to get the two lines up and running at an acceptable level. It will also be fairly labor intensive. Some of the tooling is of a previous revision but is still N-95 rated so not an issue (slight appearance difference) in light of the need. There are some aesthetic things that will not done as well.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was no karate class today... I understand the reason ,but I'm still kinda disappointed.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was no karate class today... I understand the reason ,but I'm still kinda disappointed.
Yeah understandable mate..

Home training for most of us at the moment. I wish I had more space to do kata! Wonder if anyone will notice if I knock a wall down... ?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've decided this is the last day of my week.....I'm working from home tomorrow....I will set up in my basement, and when there is nothing to do for work, I will be doing Taijiquan, Qigong, and exercising.....I need this day

That sounds ideal :). Enjoy my friend

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Luckily for me I have a large backyard and fairly high ceilings in my house.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Luckily for me I have a large backyard and fairly high ceilings in my house.

Me too, but I think the neighbors are already a little concerned about me from my yard work escapades of spinning various types of rakes, shovels, hoes and such. However I think it was the axe that scared them the most :cool:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My neighbors don't go outside though if they ever decide to look out their window they would no doubt see a weird boy walking in circles around a fence post like some sorta weird looking cult religion or jumping around In the air swinging a sword around probably imagining or seeing things that aren't there.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
She keeps threatening awful things if that dude keeps staring at me like that. Somehow, I'm not feeling reassured.
I don't know why... I am completely harmless...
giphy.gif

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am about to defy the government. The governor asked us all to stay inside unless it was necessary to go out.... I am going to rebel... and go for a walk...
We've been walking regularly - but it's not particularly defiant out here, since nobody lives here. Well... not really.... We occasionally see human beings from a distance. I actually did a walk-along video yesterday. Will share if it EVER finishes uploading (having to use the slow connection for that since the good connection has to be saved up for work).

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I spent the morning on conference call with two sister Tier 2 automotive & tire plants that are converting over to produce N-95 PPE. We will start Thursday evening and work through shifts until the changeovers and programming are completed. Looks like several days work.
It is a humbling honor to be involved. We have the go ahead from our other customers to postpone their work until this work is completed. It is great to see everyone pitching in where ever they can. I love our Volunteer State attitude.
I will be doing my part from home as I am still tethered to an IV.
I pray everyone is safe, healthy, and happy.
That is awesome. I love stories like that.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We've been walking regularly - but it's not particularly defiant out here, since nobody lives here. Well... not really.... We occasionally see human beings from a distance. I actually did a walk-along video yesterday. Will share if it EVER finishes uploading (having to use the slow connection for that since the good connection has to be saved up for work).

Why that's SEDITIOUS!!!!!

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The World Health Organization has determined that dogs can neither be infected by nor carry the coronavirus and are therefore exempt from all quarantine and lockdown orders.

In other words,
WHO let the dogs out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions