Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should figure out how to do books on tape, for anyone but especially for kids.
You have a nice reading cadence.
I'd considered it but I don't have the means at this time to set up a proper space and equipment for recording. Audible and iTunes have very strict guidelines for quality, which I completely support. Just not something I can do right now. And do love my narrators. Now that I'd produced over a hundred audiobooks, I am really happy to have had this experience. Sure, I had some prima donnas and slackers, but, all in all, most of my narrators are awesome people, and I love working with them.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd considered it but I don't have the means at this time to set up a proper space and equipment for recording. Audible and iTunes have very strict guidelines for quality, which I completely support. Just not something I can do right now. And do love my narrators. Now that I'd produced over a hundred audiobooks, I am really happy to have had this experience. Sure, I had some prima donnas and slackers, but, all in all, most of my narrators are awesome people, and I love working with them.
Just do it!
Life is too short not to!
(Considering to figure out how to do videos myself, and I HATE seeing myself in pictures, or hearing my voice on tape!)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just do it!
Life is too short not to!
(Considering to figure out how to do videos myself, and I HATE seeing myself in pictures, or hearing my voice on tape!)
This is not the question of life being too short. It's the question of not having my work accepted and wasting my time because my recording quality will not meet the standards. Audiobook production is not just about sitting there speaking into a microphone - there is A LOT more to it. You'll just have to take my word for it, because, at this point, I'd worked with dozens of narrators and done hundreds of hours of listen-throughs.

I will continue doing the storytime videos on YouTube and I hope you all enjoy them. I think that is a good niche for me. Maybe someday the channel gets monetized. That would be cool. Meanwhile, I just want to help people out as they struggle with this new and weird reality.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, but you do edit, too.
Nope. Not anymore. I do the two initial read-throughs, then send it to someone else, they do the editing run and another read-throughs, and then I do the corrections and the final read-through. But I haven't done JUST my own editing in years. I always remember this is my second language.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
For us, I'm hearing to expect this to go on until June.

Jacob is training at home...he got added to a fighter group who sends out a daily workout for all the fighters for him to do.

He is training karate in the morning and baseball in the afternoon....then we binge watch a TV series or watch a movie in the evening.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's tough. I feel this every time I look at the clock and realize I would be in class at a particular time.
On the bright side now I get to do karate in front of a television. Two entertainments at once.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the bright side now I get to do karate in front of a television. Two entertainments at once.

Best be careful, Donald, I was doing that last week and accidentally knocked out one of the characters in Breaking Bad. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ehrmantraut?

I would never knock out Mike! God Bless his little gangster, murdering heart. He was one of my favorite characters.

And the one my supposed good friend gave me a spoiler on telling me about Mike’s fate.

He will pay dearly for that. I’ve already got it planned, he’s going to cry, the Son of a Beach. He’s going to cry and panic. And while he’s down and crying
I’m going to quote him my favorite Mike lines, which I am preparing now.

Sounds harsh, huh? But consider...He did the very same thing the very next f’n day concerning the series finale.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would never knock out Mike! God Bless his little gangster, murdering heart. He was one of my favorite characters.

And the one my supposed good friend gave me a spoiler on telling me about Mike’s fate.

He will pay dearly for that. I’ve already got it planned, he’s going to cry, the Son of a Beach. He’s going to cry and panic. And while he’s down and crying
I’m going to quote him my favorite Mike lines, which I am preparing now.

Sounds harsh, huh? But consider...He did the very same thing the very next f’n day concerning the series finale.
Nope, he deserves this.
I am just totally confused, as Hubby has been Binging 'Better call Saul'
It's got the story of how the lawyer came to be and what Mike did before he met Heisenberg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, it was an awful weekend. my 85 year old Mother-in-law, who is physically in better shape than I am, fell and broke her hip in her nursing home on Saturday and is in surgery for a possible total hip today. And a person, and incredible martial artist, I have known for years, who has taught a lot of people over the years, passed away on Sunday. More on that in teh Hall of Remembrance later.

And NOW for today....remember this

So you spend 20 minutes trying to figure out what someones issue is with their laptop. And since they tell you different things every single time and leave out huge sections that would help you figure out. And of course they keep telling. you how to fix it....which is not the way to fix it..... you finally figure out...of course they have been standing 1.5 feet from you the entire time...they finally say...oh, my son is now working with Covid 19 patients and he live with me...was I just, so I guess I should start practicing social distancing...and then...after 20 minutes....moves 6 feet away....was I justified in giving them a dirty look?

They then added...oh...he starts today and has not been home yet....

Guess who is now waiting for test results to see if they are positive for Covid-19.

My contact with her was 12 days ago..... they sent me home today....and if this person is positive....they have single handedly taken out all of the IT department in my office, and several others as well. Does not matter what she told me that day, she listed me as a contact. Either way I have now been told that I should self-quarantine for 14 days...oh and if her test does come out positive.....the entire department goes down because she was in contact with 3 from IT that have been all over the floor....

It's just been a great 3 days

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, it was an awful weekend. my 85 year old Mother-in-law, who is physically in better shape than I am, fell and broke her hip in her nursing home on Saturday and is in surgery for a possible total hip today. And a person, and incredible martial artist, I have known for years, who has taught a lot of people over the years, passed away on Sunday. More on that in teh Hall of Remembrance later.

And NOW for today....remember this

Guess who is now waiting for test results to see if they are positive for Covid-19.

My contact with her was 12 days ago..... they sent me home today....and if this person is positive....they have single handedly taken out all of the IT department in my office, and several others as well. Does not matter what she told me that day, she listed me as a contact. Either way I have now been told that I should self-quarantine for 14 days

It's just been a great 3 days
Tough couple of weeks. Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. My uncle Cecil passed away a few weeks ago from a bad fall. He was 88, and also in great health. But when he fell, he hit his head, and just never was able to recover.

Question regarding your self-quarantine. Is that 14 days from when you had contact with her, or 14 days starting today?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tough couple of weeks. Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. My uncle Cecil passed away a few weeks ago from a bad fall. He was 88, and also in great health. But when he fell, he hit his head, and just never was able to recover.

Question regarding your self-quarantine. Is that 14 days from when you had contact with her, or 14 days starting today?

Don't know yet. She said the contact was on the 23rd or 24th I know it was the 19th

Sorry to hear about your uncle

Status
Not open for further replies.