Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you know that? What are you? A mindreader?! No. I don't know who that is ,and even if I did he definitely wouldn't have been there anyways!
source.gif
You don't know who Doctor Who is? I am just going to have to denounce you and write you out of my will. ;) Anyway, that particular story arc dealt with beings who could wipe out your memory. And people who dealt with them had these moments when they were somewhere and didn't know why. One character came up with the way to track these instances by drawing marks on her arm with a black marker - and kept going back to the place where she knew these beings were (they called themselves "Silence"). And she looked at her arm - and there were like a dozen stripes on it.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Combination of a couple things.
MINOR:
* lack of upward mobility without going into administration
* lack of geographical mobility without without a pay decrease
MAJOR:
* I've noticed that people in my field, regardless of location, that don't go into administration tend to start burning out by 35.
* I've seen the end result of burnout, and don't want that.
* The jobs I've gotten, and the places I've seen/considered, about half the people are cool, and the other half seem to have a ton of mental health issues they don't bother working out. Go figure.
THE STRAW:
* A clerical issue with one of my secondary licenses that's causing me issues. Probably nothing serious, and I honestly could just drop the license and have no changes, but it brought everything else to light.

Plus, I've always enjoyed tech stuff.
Wow, that is an amazing background. Definitely not a knee-jerk reaction - you'd spent some time thinking this through.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't know who Doctor Who is?
I'm a "little" bit offended you would ask that :eek:... I say a "little bit instead of "a lot" cause my my only knowledge of Dr. Who comes from watching this guy and his wacky adventures...
Doctor-Who-3.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a "little" bit offended you would ask that :eek:... I say a "little bit instead of "a lot" cause my my only knowledge of Dr. Who comes from watching this guy and his wacky adventures...
Doctor-Who-3.jpg
OMG, he was my FAVORITE Doctor! You are forgiven. The "Silence" story arc was with the next Doctor after him - Matt Smith.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing house projects today. Everything seems to need an extra step of fixing. Screw holes stripped out, handles mis-installed, broken screws. Sigh.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doing house projects today. Everything seems to need an extra step of fixing. Screw holes stripped out, handles mis-installed, broken screws. Sigh.
every home improvement project requires 4 trips to the hardware store.
or the extra step....

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of that falls into the "I can do that but I Really don't want to" category. Our father was a general contractor and we all grew up working with him. My oldest brother got into the trade in an adjoining county. The middle brother used carpentry in his work often. I just never gravitated that way.
I have built all our barns and out buildings, tiled all our floors, put on our last roof (with help), built our addition including electrical and plumbing and finish work.
I can figure out about any curve or angle but I Cannot do intricate wood detail. I mess it up every time.
Put a PLC or a wrench in my hand and I am good to go.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah fun!

Any tips on getting out a really old screw that's screwed our window shut? I'd knife hand strike it but the gap isn't big enough!

May have to somehow saw through the exposed to length of it..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah fun!

Any tips on getting out a really old screw that's screwed our window shut? I'd knife hand strike it but the gap isn't big enough!

May have to somehow saw through the exposed to length of it..
If you have an impact driver and can get on the head (not too deteriorated), I'd give it a shot with that. I've only recently started using one, and it seems to be capable of doing things that would normally break off a screw head. Otherwise, I'd probably just try to drill it out.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have an impact driver and can get on the head (not too deteriorated), I'd give it a shot with that. I've only recently started using one, and it seems to be capable of doing things that would normally break off a screw head. Otherwise, I'd probably just try to drill it out.

Ah right, I have neither an impact driver or drill :p. I've tried just a screwdriver but nothing will stay in it. The screw is that old I actually think I could hack into it with something... steak knife here we come!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah right, I have neither an impact driver or drill :p. I've tried just a screwdriver but nothing will stay in it. The screw is that old I actually think I could hack into it with something... steak knife here we come!
Go buy a hacksaw. They're damnably useful, and not expensive. I have one with a handle that lets the blade protrude, and keep it in my project tool bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions