Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
DANG!!!!! I'm getting more and more like my Yang Shifu..... was on another martial arts forum and there was a nice discussion on taijiquan, which is going south, because there are those now posting making all sorts of disparaging comments about taijiquan..... now in the past I would have waded in...but now.... I read it....thought, not worth my time, why bother, let them believe what they want...and moved on....

This also seems to be the approach to such things my first shifu took and my wife takes.... what do all three have in common...all are Chinese....starting to think my wife means it when she says I'm more Chinese than she is.

Tell me more about the Bob Ross painting thing. Is there a party game where you paint things following directions?
Nope. We figured out the colors he was using for the video, bought them first and a bunch of canvases, and set it up in the living room. Then used my laptop to play an episode from youtube, and followed along with bob ross as he was painting. Along with me manning the mouse for either pausing to catch up to him, or rewinding to figure out what the hell he just did every few seconds. Then compared them all at the end.

Good weekend of competing.

Jacob competed at the PKC Internationals and finished:

1st in Ippon kumite (1 point sparring) (13-17 year old)
4th in Continuous Sparring (13-17 year old
2nd in Kata (13-14 year old)
1st in kumite (5 point matches, 13-17 year old)
1st in weapons forms (13-14)
Under 18 Grand Champion in weapons forms
And was on the Bunkai team for adult kata that tied for 1st but lost the tie breaker.

Fun weekend.

View attachment 22448

National team photo
View attachment 22449
Good for him! Is that the final tournament for the year, or do they continue through fall/winter?

Good for him! Is that the final tournament for the year, or do they continue through fall/winter?

I'm not sure if that is the end or beginning of their season....it was put on by the PKC but the USKA has sent its national team to it the last 3 years. USKA and PKC has a friendly rivalry and compete in each others tourneys.

I'm pretty sure like USKA they run a year long season with breaks in December and late June/early July.

@kempodisciple

USKA hosts tourneys mainly in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California.

PKC hosts tourneys in Indiana, Pennsylvanis, Illinois, Ohio, Missourri, and Kentucky.

So it's fun to go and compete against competitors that they dont see due to geography. Typically, we try to go to 3-4 tourneys a year outside of the USKA.

Nope. We figured out the colors he was using for the video, bought them first and a bunch of canvases, and set it up in the living room. Then used my laptop to play an episode from youtube, and followed along with bob ross as he was painting. Along with me manning the mouse for either pausing to catch up to him, or rewinding to figure out what the hell he just did every few seconds. Then compared them all at the end.
Ohhh, that sounds like so much fun! Did you use oil paint or watercolors? Also, when you do oil painting, is there anything special you need to do to prep the canvas, or do you just up and paint? I really want to try it, and I do have some paints and canvases, but I don't know how to go about it.

Yes then a 12 hour drive home Monday.

It was a fun weekend though. The team went and played laser tag after competing Saturday and got to hang out all three nights. The members live in 4 different states so they dont get alot of opportunity to just hang out. So alot of fun.
HOW did they have the energy to play laser tag after competing?!

Ohhh, that sounds like so much fun! Did you use oil paint or watercolors? Also, when you do oil painting, is there anything special you need to do to prep the canvas, or do you just up and paint? I really want to try it, and I do have some paints and canvases, but I don't know how to go about it.
the Bob Ross technique is that it's painted wet on wet. The canvas is prepped with a 'foundation', white or black, depending, and he layers the paints (oil paints and low odor thinner)
They do have classes at the Hobby Lobby with a certified instructor and the son kept the thing going. (I have a paint kit with VHS somewhere in the closet, I wonder if the paints have dried up yet...)
Happy Little Trees......

HOW did they have the energy to play laser tag after competing?!

Saturday is a short day of competition with them only competing in weapons forms. Then that evening they have a banquet.

Since we arent members of PKC we go do something different every year. 1st year we went go kart racing, 2nd year bowling, third year laser tag.

And they are 13 to 20 something year olds.....they have plenty of energy. Lol.

the Bob Ross technique is that it's painted wet on wet. The canvas is prepped with a 'foundation', white or black, depending, and he layers the paints (oil paints and low odor thinner)
They do have classes at the Hobby Lobby with a certified instructor and the son kept the thing going. (I have a paint kit with VHS somewhere in the closet, I wonder if the paints have dried up yet...)
Happy Little Trees......

Happy Little Trees......
I am very anti-Hobby Lobby for their treatment of women, but sounds fun otherwise.

I just had this thought
Fall is on the way
This means leaves are about to fall
I have lots of leaves, and many of those oak and the rest maple
The average oak tree has some where between 200,000 to to 500,000 leaves
Which means I have to clean them all up.... for weeks
Then it hit me....just what the heck was a thinking when I had that oak tree planted a couple weeks ago

Tell me more about the Bob Ross painting thing. Is there a party game where you paint things following directions?

Happy Little Trees......

We did season 14 episode 1. This is my finished project, and outside of some pottery classes, and an art class i took in 9th grade as an elective, i have no experience with drawing/painting.

Attachments

• 20190831_200247.jpg
    20190831_200247.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
We used acrylic paint because its cheaper. But the recommended is to do oil painting, and you start by spreading white oil-paint over the entire canvas. They've got the classes, but IMO it turned out fine with us doing it DIY

@kempodisciple

USKA hosts tourneys mainly in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California.

PKC hosts tourneys in Indiana, Pennsylvanis, Illinois, Ohio, Missourri, and Kentucky.

So it's fun to go and compete against competitors that they dont see due to geography. Typically, we try to go to 3-4 tourneys a year outside of the USKA.
Thats a bit of a trip for you guys 3-4 times a year. Could be worth it though to go against different competitors. Have the two competitions ever tried combining, or do they just send 'representatives'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back