Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today, I had the honor and the privilege to be the guest speaker in the Coffee and Conversation series at Reuter YMCA in Asheville, NC. Today's topic was "Disabilities (visible and invisible) and exercise". As a side note - I have social anxiety and deplore public speaking (I actually had to take my panic pill before going in), but the topic is very important to me and I felt I really needed to get out there and talk about it.

We covered A LOT of ground - it's a huge topic after all. The main takeaways from our discussion were:

- If your doctor is not listening to you when it comes to chronic issues, do not hesitate to find another doctor. It's not "all in your head". It's not "just something you ate". Your concerns are valid and you deserve to be heard.

- Ask about physical therapy. It's not just for people recovering from specific injuries or surgeries - it can work for chronic issues too, and insurance companies do cover at least some of the cost.

- If your issue is the kind that cannot be operated or cured, and you know you will be faced with it for the rest of your life, try everything you can think of when it comes to exercise and put together your own exercise program you are absolutely in love with. You have to love it because you will have to do it for as long as you live - might as well enjoy yourself.

- Disability doesn't just affect our bodies physically and mentally - it also affects our social circles. If you have lost friends at the same time you started having health problems, time to find new friends - as scary as it sounds. Build a new circle. Have your own cheerleading squad. Whether you decide to try sky diving or do a mud run - it helps to know someone is always there with pompoms and ribbons to cheer you on.

- Don't be ashamed to be seen. You are not a disabled person - you are a person with a disability. There is a difference. Disability comes second - it may affect your life, but it doesn't define you. There is more to you. Others like you are afraid to be seen too, and you may be the one to help bring them out of hiding. You are not a burden - you are a person, and a beacon of light to those who are struggling.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been to Dallas several times and to San Antonio - I really liked San Antonio. The bummer of it was - we were there on one of those bank implementation projects where anything we had to do could only be done at night. And it was during the Fiesta time. So, just as everyone was going to party, we were going to work. Ugh...
We were in San Antonio earlier this year. A great city to enjoy and gateway to other Texas cities.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today, I had the honor and the privilege to be the guest speaker in the Coffee and Conversation series at Reuter YMCA in Asheville, NC. Today's topic was "Disabilities (visible and invisible) and exercise". As a side note - I have social anxiety and deplore public speaking (I actually had to take my panic pill before going in), but the topic is very important to me and I felt I really needed to get out there and talk about it.

We covered A LOT of ground - it's a huge topic after all. The main takeaways from our discussion were:

- If your doctor is not listening to you when it comes to chronic issues, do not hesitate to find another doctor. It's not "all in your head". It's not "just something you ate". Your concerns are valid and you deserve to be heard.

- Ask about physical therapy. It's not just for people recovering from specific injuries or surgeries - it can work for chronic issues too, and insurance companies do cover at least some of the cost.

- If your issue is the kind that cannot be operated or cured, and you know you will be faced with it for the rest of your life, try everything you can think of when it comes to exercise and put together your own exercise program you are absolutely in love with. You have to love it because you will have to do it for as long as you live - might as well enjoy yourself.

- Disability doesn't just affect our bodies physically and mentally - it also affects our social circles. If you have lost friends at the same time you started having health problems, time to find new friends - as scary as it sounds. Build a new circle. Have your own cheerleading squad. Whether you decide to try sky diving or do a mud run - it helps to know someone is always there with pompoms and ribbons to cheer you on.

- Don't be ashamed to be seen. You are not a disabled person - you are a person with a disability. There is a difference. Disability comes second - it may affect your life, but it doesn't define you. There is more to you. Others like you are afraid to be seen too, and you may be the one to help bring them out of hiding. You are not a burden - you are a person, and a beacon of light to those who are struggling.

That is just amazing, GOOD ON YOU. Seriously well done, even though you had such anxiety about it what you've done is huge. All the points there are absolutely crucial, and each have such value, especially the cheerleading squad and support, exercise, it not defining you, and getting physical therapy, being open to trying things not just within the medical model.

Teared up reading this, as someone with a chronic/ongoing painful condition I know just how important it is to hear from those who have struggled and can offer guidance from experience. I know in my darkest days I just wanted to know that I wasn't alone and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. There was just not a great deal out there at all.. so when I came upon something it was such a relief. I would so love to do something like this for people with pelvic pain, and in fact I've been wanting for awhile now to make a support group for guys who deal with this. Just brainstorming ideas at the moment, but hopefully it'll happen.

You've become a beacon of hope to many, including myself as I'm struggling quite horrendously today... Thank you.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was a speaker's conference I used to attend every year. For a while it was in San Antonio, and I loved walking along the river around there.
Agree. We talked to enough locals to find some very good food away from the walk. But I am not capable of ignoring when I am near a Landry's.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Its raining and there is a leak in my roof.....2019 has been an interesting year to put it nicely...and the oldest was kind enough to remind me "and it's only half over"

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is just amazing, GOOD ON YOU. Seriously well done, even though you had such anxiety about it what you've done is huge. All the points there are absolutely crucial, and each have such value, especially the cheerleading squad and support, exercise, it not defining you, and getting physical therapy, being open to trying things not just within the medical model.

Teared up reading this, as someone with a chronic/ongoing painful condition I know just how important it is to hear from those who have struggled and can offer guidance from experience. I know in my darkest days I just wanted to know that I wasn't alone and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. There was just not a great deal out there at all.. so when I came upon something it was such a relief. I would so love to do something like this for people with pelvic pain, and in fact I've been wanting for awhile now to make a support group for guys who deal with this. Just brainstorming ideas at the moment, but hopefully it'll happen.

You've become a beacon of hope to many, including myself as I'm struggling quite horrendously today... Thank you.
Awww, thank you, that is very sweet.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I wanted to...so he jumped on a bus headed for the airport and then he is running off to China for a couple weeks...just to get out of the work....dang kids today
next time confiscate the passport first!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
After much thought and a forgotten memory coming to the surface... I've only been able to do a Sun taijiquan short form...... so why the heck am I not working with more qigong, especially an old taiji qigong form I forgot about......well.... I'm off to the basement guan to do taiji and work on some qigong

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
After much thought and a forgotten memory coming to the surface... I've only been able to do a Sun taijiquan short form...... so why the heck am I not working with more qigong, especially an old taiji qigong form I forgot about......well.... I'm off to the basement guan to do taiji and work on some qigong
Old age, son, old age!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good news: paid all my narrators for outstanding audiobook projects waiting to be released for QA.
Bad news: Was once again reminded I am not yet a millionaire.
Good news: After three weeks of literary production sloth, I finished another translation.
Bad news: It's only 8,000 words, but @gpseymour is grouching something about my overworking or some such nonsense. What part of "I haven't published anything in three weeks" does he not understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions