Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
a 2 minute long storm yesterday has caused us to lose power from yesterday evening until who knows when. Had a ton of stuff to do on my computer, just got to a friends house with power so I can do them (and so my fiancee can do her work since it's all online). In a bit of an annoyed mood as a result.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
uber definition:
denoting an outstanding or supreme example of a particular kind of person or thing. However, If you have strong ties to WWII I fully understand.
May I ask what the phrase is? I am not familiar.

When Adolf Hitler rose to power in the 1930s, the Nazi regime misused the first verse - "Deutschland über alles" - to emphasize what they saw as Germany's superiority to all other nations.

It is just every time someone says Uber, my demented little brain goes to that thought

similar thing happens whenever I hear or see 1066....but I immediately think "Battle of Hastings"... why I remember that, I have no idea

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good timing and bad timing...she had a 15 minute break between support, and the power at the friends house went out. Just came back, but she managed to get someone to cover the class...who knows how long it will last for

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When Adolf Hitler rose to power in the 1930s, the Nazi regime misused the first verse - "Deutschland über alles" - to emphasize what they saw as Germany's superiority to all other nations.

It is just every time someone says Uber, my demented little brain goes to that thought

similar thing happens whenever I hear or see 1066....but I immediately think "Battle of Hastings"... why I remember that, I have no idea
Probably the benign misuse of the word, but the people connection kind of fist as well...classifications of human beings as worthy or not.

I just get irritated by the misuse of German words.
And it really makes no sense as brand name of a car service.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Better not offer anyone you like a gift then ;)

It can make sense...

Like many words, it doesn't translate literally - the closest definition would usually be 'over'.

But it can also mean 'preferable' - as in "I'd prefer this over that".

So it could be a preferred car service.

In another context, it could also translate to 'complete coverage' - again, not a bad idea?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I got excited when I first saw the post and thought you had purchased the land in the picture.

My garden is big enough to have areas I neglect already, without adding extra acres :D

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have anyone to ride with, but I'm probably going to break down and get a trail bike this year. I can't run distance regularly anymore, so time to go back to what I did before I got into running.

My riding partner is my 10 year old son - so a ride out with him isn't really a challenging exercise session for me... But it's nice though, and just the excuse I needed to get riding again.

I never got into running, I've tried a few times but in all honesty I'm just no good at it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a 2 minute long storm yesterday has caused us to lose power from yesterday evening until who knows when. Had a ton of stuff to do on my computer, just got to a friends house with power so I can do them (and so my fiancee can do her work since it's all online). In a bit of an annoyed mood as a result.
We get that kind of crap from time to time here. I've found a few places where I can get power and internet when I need it in a pinch. Still sucks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My riding partner is my 10 year old son - so a ride out with him isn't really a challenging exercise session for me... But it's nice though, and just the excuse I needed to get riding again.

I never got into running, I've tried a few times but in all honesty I'm just no good at it.
I was never good at distance running, if you considered speed, but could run just about forever back in the day. Of course, it's entirely possible running "just about forever" is part of why my knees are crap now. I know I ran through some injuries I shouldn't have, and probably am paying for it now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Probably the benign misuse of the word, but the people connection kind of fist as well...classifications of human beings as worthy or not.

If they named it "Over" it would have been taking very differently and likely not seriously. Maybe they should have named it "Guòdù". I just don't like the name Uber, but then I am not a big fan of lyft either....I frankly do not trust either of them to get me anywhere safely

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
a couple of days ago, a 'friend' ripped me a new one, because before Easter I had a discussion with another person in a group setting.
the topic was the constant disagreeable behavior of yet another person (confused yet?)
the person I got into a tiff with ended up defending the mean behavior of this individual, insulting everybody else in the round, along the lines of 'she is like me' and nobody but her had common sense...and it got worse from there.

So, the attempts to shut her up the nice way failed, so, yours truly got more clear (And if you have visited the Study of old, you know I can be pretty clear!), and considering her support of ultra extreme political views, I called her that appropriate moniker by comparison.

Anyway
the group decided to part ways with her, and 2 months later said friend messages me in a huff, because I called her a bad name. Said 'friend' spends her free time aggravating people with the above mentioned extreme values, and reports them to FB.
She send me 3 emails with the complaints and I suppose the link, because I had not found it even though I actually did search. I remember I wasn't feeling like I was in the wrong, and after re-reading the content, this has been affirmed, sorry not sorry.

I did not open the emails. I didn't feel like messing with it.
Didn't even read the majority of the private messages either, like fort line, last line, hey, I am done with this topic!

So somewhere, I am puzzled, but not enough to really look into it.
what makes people tick.

I mean, it is funny when people who blaze into a topic with their minds made up complain about people having their minds made up before entering a discussion! :D

It was some surreal experience, which I obscured some for brevity and the general amusement .

OH, she had my email wrong, so somewhere there is a poor sap who just got bombarded with a bunch of accusations out of the blue, by a complete stranger!
:rolleyes:
Yyyikes! YES it is interesting what makes people tick... and often when there's a very specific trigger it's as though they won't let up until there's been a righteous victory or an admitting by someone else that they were "wrong/right". Golly gosh..

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Still feel crazy nauseous... but resting isn't helping much, so thought I needed a bit of a walk. Some good ol fresh air'll do ya good is what they say! Went down to the beach area and it was a really nice walk, I must do it more often :).

I often hide away inside for too long, go a bit nuts, then realise, maybe I need to get out of more XD.

A good 30min walk, did a few hills as well, and even did 3 veeery steep hill rounds just walking, with a run up on the 4th time :). Sick, shmick.....

If I haven't improved by the end of the week I might still book in with my kinesiologist that I haven't seen in years... she was so spot on with what she picked up and where certain things originated within me. It's been a month of constantly getting sick so I'm pegging there's something deeper goin on...

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yyyikes! YES it is interesting what makes people tick... and often when there's a very specific trigger it's as though they won't let up until there's been a righteous victory or an admitting by someone else that they were "wrong/right". Golly gosh..
I boycotted Nike some time ago for my own reasons. Here is just another example that adds to the pile.
I read a "news" report that Nike is pulling a Betsy Ross themed shoe because Colin Kaepernick (an adviser to Nike) said some found it offensive because of the era it is from. Kaepernick's mission to drag totally unrelated parts of our country's history into his very misguided view of things just makes me sick.
It is almost July 4th, the shoe has an image of the 13 star flag on the sole near the heel. I comment Nike for trying to do something good, but reject them (again) for bending to the whining of a few and agreeing to ignore a very great time in our country's history. The whining few need to take a history class.
Very sad.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I boycotted Nike some time ago for my own reasons. Here is just another example that adds to the pile.
I read a "news" report that Nike is pulling a Betsy Ross themed shoe because Colin Kaepernick (an adviser to Nike) said some found it offensive because of the era it is from. Kaepernick's mission to drag totally unrelated parts of our country's history into his very misguided view of things just makes me sick.
It is almost July 4th, the shoe has an image of the 13 star flag on the sole near the heel. I comment Nike for trying to do something good, but reject them (again) for bending to the whining of a few and agreeing to ignore a very great time in our country's history. The whining few need to take a history class.
Very sad.

Kaepernick is a dick of epic proportions.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still no power. Basically all of long island but my house and the three next to us seem to have gotten power back

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to have to look into this. The problem with vacationing here is obviously how damn expensive it is. A nice hotel is terrific, all you have to do is deposit an arm and a leg at the front desk. Then drop of a few more when you check out.

Condos and bed and breakfasts are the way to go. I haven't really looked into them in years. The key is having a place to cook your meals, so you don't have to eat out. The next big expense is a rental car. Gotta' have it. And you need to use one of the major companies. If you use one of the small fly-by-night ones - you're just renting trouble. You can get away without the rental car, but then you can't really go anywhere and that's no way to see Maui for the first time. There is some public transportation, minimal, but I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I mean, it's fine when you're eighteen and don't give a damn about anything, especially riding with crazy people, but that's about it.

Let me do some research, talk to some folks. My buddy Eddie at work travels all over the world, his gal works for an airline so they fly nearly free. But he knows about what to look for as far as cost and where/how to stay places. I'm pretty sure there's no magic panacea, but he probably knows the best way.

I wish it was the nineties. Back then we rented a house with a spare bedroom and bath, everyone used to stay with us. Now we live in an 800 square foot box that doesn't even have room for a kitchen table or couch. No complaints, mind you, we love it. Best thing about it is it keeps the wife's relatives away. :)
Any tips would be appreciated. We are not too spoiled - although yeah, having a place to cook would be nice.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well...my knee hurts, and I STILL AIN'T ABLE to do taijiquan like I WANT TO!!!!!!

walked to much this past weekend, but I did come much closer to picking where I want to retire and while away my days doing taijquan.
I didn't go to Zumba yesterday because of a migraine. Somehow, jumping around on a concrete floor to loud music in a room with no fans appeared less than fabulous. There, do you feel better now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions