Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Um.... why? (Hint: the answer "because it's there" gets you hobbit-slapped)

Because it’s a perfect example of the foolishness of mankind in general and the French in particular.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
But that is the logical answer to most stupid (male) endeavors
In fairness, there are women doing some crazy stuff too... but yes, these events appear to be largely male-dominated. I keep thinking - it's so frustrating, what with women going through all that trouble to give birth to men, who then proceed to invent new and fascinating ways to kill themselves.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know... having spent a large portion of my early life standing in food lines, I find eating contests rather revolting and puzzling. I don't even think they are funny.

Oh, sure, go all Debbie Downer on me.

debbieDowner.PNG

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe Christopher Walken started out as a dancer and trained at the Washington Dance Studio

Walken considers himself a hoofer first and foremost. Dancing is his passion, film is his occupation.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And then......he became scary and weird

He doesn't actually pick his roles, his wife does. She's a casting agent. She just hands him a script and tells him what part he'll be playing. He always said in print media that being scary and being funny are different sides of the same thing.

I'm a huge Walken fan.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In fairness, there are women doing some crazy stuff too... but yes, these events appear to be largely male-dominated. I keep thinking - it's so frustrating, what with women going through all that trouble to give birth to men, who then proceed to invent new and fascinating ways to kill themselves.
it makes up for the grief. We get to outlive them

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
He doesn't actually pick his roles, his wife does. She's a casting agent. She just hands him a script and tells him what part he'll be playing. He always said in print media that being scary and being funny are different sides of the same thing.

I'm a huge Walken fan.
Are you going to tell us now you used to eat at the same diner with them... or live down the street... or stumbled into them and became friends? ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because it’s a perfect example of the foolishness of mankind in general and the French in particular.
You know... I am reminded of a passage from one of my favorite childhood books. The events take place in the late 19th - early 20th century. This little girl goes to the zoo, where she gets to see a performance by a female lion tamer. The little girl is absolutely fascinated by the tamer and finds her dazzling. Of course, she immediately decides ordinary professions are not for her and decides to become a lion tamer too. She tells her parents and her tutor who happens to be present. The girl's father asks, "Why do you want to be a tamer?"
"Because she is so brave - she is a hero!"
"Brave? Yes. Hero? No, she is not a hero."
"How can you say she's not a hero? Would you walk into a cage with tigers and lions?"
"No. I didn't say she wasn't courageous. But what does she use her courage for? Had she used it to save a someone - a child, or even a cow - then she would have been a hero. As it is, she is throwing her courage away and risking her life to amuse the ignorant crowds. No, she is not a hero."

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um.... why? (Hint: the answer "because it's there" gets you hobbit-slapped)
Because, once you get to the top with your bicycle, how else are you getting down? Sheesh... I didn't think it was all that hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions