Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's my location. I lived here in the nineties and there was no trouble ordering from Amazon, none whatsoever, I did it all the time. But now.......half the stuff I want isn't available for shipping here any more, and half the stuff that is will get here.....but it's the wrong fricken' product.
ah, right.
which act is it that makes shipping to AK, HI and PR so expensive?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
can anybody point me to where I can get an OS disc for windows 10?
We had a laptop go down oh, 2 years ago, plus. and now that it's fixed windows is out of whack.

And naturally, we didn't make recovery discs when we got it new (and wouldn't be able to find it now regardless!)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
can anybody point me to where I can get an OS disc for windows 10?
We had a laptop go down oh, 2 years ago, plus. and now that it's fixed windows is out of whack.

And naturally, we didn't make recovery discs when we got it new (and wouldn't be able to find it now regardless!)

Download the iso from the ms site - it's not a dodgy download, it's perfectly legit, official and above board.

Plenty of details available with a bit of google-fu ;)

Feel free to pm me if you need any assistance though.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to have to look into this. The problem with vacationing here is obviously how damn expensive it is. A nice hotel is terrific, all you have to do is deposit an arm and a leg at the front desk. Then drop of a few more when you check out.

Condos and bed and breakfasts are the way to go. I haven't really looked into them in years. The key is having a place to cook your meals, so you don't have to eat out. The next big expense is a rental car. Gotta' have it. And you need to use one of the major companies. If you use one of the small fly-by-night ones - you're just renting trouble. You can get away without the rental car, but then you can't really go anywhere and that's no way to see Maui for the first time. There is some public transportation, minimal, but I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I mean, it's fine when you're eighteen and don't give a damn about anything, especially riding with crazy people, but that's about it.

Let me do some research, talk to some folks. My buddy Eddie at work travels all over the world, his gal works for an airline so they fly nearly free. But he knows about what to look for as far as cost and where/how to stay places. I'm pretty sure there's no magic panacea, but he probably knows the best way.

I wish it was the nineties. Back then we rented a house with a spare bedroom and bath, everyone used to stay with us. Now we live in an 800 square foot box that doesn't even have room for a kitchen table or couch. No complaints, mind you, we love it. Best thing about it is it keeps the wife's relatives away. :)
Do you have any Uber, or Lyft services on the islands?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Download the iso from the ms site - it's not a dodgy download, it's perfectly legit, official and above board.

Plenty of details available with a bit of google-fu ;)

Feel free to pm me if you need any assistance though.
thanks.
I am forgetting all those things that I used to know. Like back in the day, when you actually had to manually initiate the updates and junk, and make sure you did it form the real website, and hope you had enough time on AOL to do it, and dialup, of course, nobody better call you during the download.

And now damn Google tells me my little Chromebook is no longer supported, basically telling me I need to buy a new one.
I don't like the device THAT much. The long battery life was the selling point.
And how on earth do you no longer support a platform that isn't on the device anyhow?! what the actual fudge!
So, more Google Fu is in order, because the machine still works like a charm, and I don't see why I need to retire it just yet.
But of course, I might. As soon as I find another place to store my stuff in the cloud.
I am about to get as grumpy as ole Xue...and my knees aren't even bothering me!
And I eat bacon!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
@granfire - tell me about it, I remember having to use a download manager because freeserve had a "reconnect after 1 hour" system and it often took longer than that to get an MP3 (single track, not an album) o_O

I got out of IT work not long after vista was introduced, but had to refresh myself recently due to my son wanting his first pc - and I have a pathological dislike of off the peg...

Turns out I actually like win10. Well, like might be a strong term but the more I delve with it the closer it's getting.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@granfire - tell me about it, I remember having to use a download manager because freeserve had a "reconnect after 1 hour" system and it often took longer than that to get an MP3 (single track, not an album) o_O

I got out of IT work not long after vista was introduced, but had to refresh myself recently due to my son wanting his first pc - and I have a pathological dislike of off the peg...

Turns out I actually like win10. Well, like might be a strong term but the more I delve with it the closer it's getting.
you ain't right! ;)
just kidding. it's not bad, but some of the strong features in windows have been wrecked along the way.
I didn't hate Vista, but I didn't do much back then either.

But I hear ya, Napster days - not that anybody ever did....(you always had to look for the T1 connection!)

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, right.
which act is it that makes shipping to AK, HI and PR so expensive?
They keep having to pay for new trucks when the run into the ocean... and they're forced to use drivers who will be creative with their logbooks, 'cause they've got nowhere to stop once they're in the ocean... :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They keep having to pay for new trucks when the run into the ocean... and they're forced to use drivers who will be creative with their logbooks, 'cause they've got nowhere to stop once they're in the ocean... :D
Mapquest tells you (well, did, back then) to get into a canoe! If you can't follow instructions.....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have Uber. I haven’t heard of the other one. I’ll check.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my location. I lived here in the nineties and there was no trouble ordering from Amazon, none whatsoever, I did it all the time. But now.......half the stuff I want isn't available for shipping here any more, and half the stuff that is will get here.....but it's the wrong fricken' product.
Sounds like it must be an issue at their regional center. Back in the day, everything probably shipped from a central point, but they've increased efficiency (in most cases) by having regional centers.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have Uber, odds are pretty good you've got Lyft, too. Same thing, different label, minor differences between them. Seems like most of the drivers around here have signs for both in the car... I kind of suspect it's what they have to do to really make any money.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As I sit here with needles in my knee, after a long hard forced march yesterday (shopping with mrs xue and the littlest xue), where I was told to go sit in the car if my knee hurt so much

Morning MT

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was just curious. The last few trips we have made where there was a decent amount of tourism Uber/Lyft was cheaper than a car rental by a good bit if you had to pay for parking where you were staying or where you were going. $20-30 bucks just to park every trip adds up quickly.
We have also had good service using Airbnb when we have a smaller group, say four or less. I am too old to be interested in staying in a house with 6-10 people even if they are all good friends.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TurtlesHookipa.jpg

There was a whole bunch of turtles at the beach the other day. Must have been giving away turtle prizes or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions