Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, man. I've been lucky to never experience a migraine, though the Hobbit does deal with them from time to time.

Do not go into the light. Especially with a migraine.

Thanks, at this point it is just some pressure in my head, not much pain, and wanting to just lay down and go to sleep, actually afraid I may just fall asleep at my desk. If I get one, I generally get 3 and this is 3 so I 'm hoping I'm done with this after today

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think that's what he meant though....
I mean it as a positive thing. I always tell people this - if you want an idea, go look for some free code. People know you are going to copy it, otherwise they wouldn't have posted it in public domain. Sometimes, it's something really twisted - you look at it and know you wouldn't have come up with it yourself. And sometimes it's simple, and you go, "Ah! Why didn't I think of that!"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A training WebEx recording. A technology conference gall. Another training WebEx recording. My brain is fried.

Ironically, a few years back I supported WebEx, and things were working fine....then the overlords of IT decided it needed to be centralized in one office, in one group. I was not in that office and never even approached by the group. it took them a couple years to get it straightened out and working correctly...which is surprising, because it is not all that hard

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I need to workout today. And I feel really good. But I have to go shopping at three different places, run into work on my day off for something, cook and do a bunch of other stuff.

So I'm really looking for an excuse to skip a workout today. Anybody got any spare excuses I can use?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I need to workout today. And I feel really good. But I have to go shopping at three different places, run into work on my day off for something, cook and do a bunch of other stuff.

So I'm really looking for an excuse to skip a workout today. Anybody got any spare excuses I can use?

I forgot where I left it :D

Its Hawaii, what the heck do you need to work out for, just chill, aloha

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean it as a positive thing. I always tell people this - if you want an idea, go look for some free code. People know you are going to copy it, otherwise they wouldn't have posted it in public domain. Sometimes, it's something really twisted - you look at it and know you wouldn't have come up with it yourself. And sometimes it's simple, and you go, "Ah! Why didn't I think of that!"
well, true. It's pretty common I am sure.
Back in the late 90s my husband and I were pretty deep into diecast collectibles. To me, it was the hunt. He is a borderline hoarder. We ended up with doubles, etc, so I tried to enter them into Exel, never having worked with it before. We ended up to collaborate with his brother (who is the computer guy) to develop a collector software
BIL spend a good amount of time 'borrowing' code from other places, and then in turn used the software to build something for his wife's sorority, and eventually a program, keeping track of his company's trucks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OMG, how much do we love stealing free code from forums?! I've done that very thing with VBA - every time I was stuck with something I reasoned someone somewhere had already done it, and most times I was right.
We have a 1TB hard drive dedicated to copies and snippets of code from about every language you can think of for this very reason. It takes work to keep it organized but odds are what you need, at least to start with, it there.

***Edit: We spend a good amount of time verifying code whether we write it or not. Have been bit in the butt by that before. We have a very good test bench (actually a pretty large part of the panel fab shop). We have the ability to test subtransmission levels up to 33kV. It gets a little tricky because the local utility has to get involved.
If we do not already have the components to set up and test a scenario we will purchase parts if necessary. We used to be a distributor so we have a good relationship with several manufacturers. They frequently loan high dollar parts to us test with. Most of the time it is a win-win because we end up keeping them for the project we were testing for in the first place.

Last edited:

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are you in for?

Oh..what am I not in for.. I've had knee issues for a while..
whether it's from getting hit by a drunk driver in '91 or
getting jumped in 2003 and dealing with fluid on the knees -
apparently I am 'too young for knee replacement' so I am
hopeful that the arthroscopy will get the junk removed so
I can focus on April 2020 and my 3rd Dan test.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man, I'm full of excuses. I'd go get one for you, but I REALLY don't want to get up out of this chair right now.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. You have GCKS (Generally Crappy Knee Syndrome). I hope that surgery gives you some relief. My surgery in 2003(?) did wonders, though the surgeon still doesn't really know why. He found very little wrong and didn't do much while he was in there, but my knee was much better for more than a decade.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A snippet of my knee injuries. FWIW, this all started in the early 90's so hopefully things have gotten better. Over about a 12 hear span I had accumulated knee whose severity I was unaware of and just worked through. When my Olympic competition days came to an end and my workout/training schedule slowed down my knee pain got worse to the point I was set up for arthroscopy. I said I was too busy to do them one at a time and my Doc said sure no problem so both knees were done in the same surgery. I was still in very good shape and went in and out of the hospital in the same day no problems. Here is where things went off the rails somewhat. Because of my own ignorance about the differences, a regular Ortho did my surgery not a sports focused Ortho. I guess the doc never asked nor did I ever say something like "I teach classes almost everyday, I work a fulltime job, and fulltime farm so I will be up on my feet working tomorrow. Because of this my knees got pretty big with fluid and inflammation and even blood pooled in some really bizarre wayss. I called my Ortho the 4 days after surgery and told him what I was seeing. Honestly, he did not believe me and tried to schedule me in 2 weeks later. This is where I knew "something was amiss at the circle K". I got pissed and unloaded. He countered claiming he had been given misleading lifestyle information. This put a lot of things in motion. The next day my wife (an attorney) went to the doctors office and got copies of everything. Under counsel (I'm always under counsel) I went to Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville to a sports ER. At first they treated for the fluid and inflammation and tried to prescribe meds. I never took pain medicine for surgery or all the post surgery stuff. An appointment was made with a great doctor by the name of Pinky Lipscomb, part of the David Lipscomb University family. He was a little older and had zero bedside manner. He quickly told me I was stupid for using the wrong kind of doctor, along with the many other mistakes I had made. We eventually established a Repore and made a plan.
The long and short, I had zero understanding of the damage of inflammation and the ease at which arthroscopic tears can be damaged. I ended with 1" tears in my right knee. Six days after the first surgery Pinky went via regular surgery and repaired the tears, scraped the patella and put me on a heavy round of anti-inflammatories. I still refused to take pain meds so the regular surgery was rough. The worst part for me was having to stay bed-ridden for 7 days. Cruel and inhuman punishment for an active person.
One of the last things Doctor Lipscomb told me was that I would end up with arthritis in my knee. He stressed that this is one of the untold negatives to arthroscopic knee surgery. Even though larger tears can be repaired and debris can be removed, this type of surgery most often ends up leaving very small tears in the cartilage.
My knees done very good up until the late 90's. I could still do anything I wanted to do but arthritis pain was setting in. Deep squats and lifts hurt.
I pray this is not your scenario and I urge you to have a LONG conversation with your doctor especially regarding what you should NOT do post-op.
Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
A snippet of my knee injuries. FWIW, this all started in the early 90's so hopefully things have gotten better. Over about a 12 hear span I had accumulated knee whose severity I was unaware of and just worked through. When my Olympic competition days came to an end and my workout/training schedule slowed down my knee pain got worse to the point I was set up for arthroscopy. I said I was too busy to do them one at a time and my Doc said sure no problem so both knees were done in the same surgery. I was still in very good shape and went in and out of the hospital in the same day no problems. Here is where things went off the rails somewhat. Because of my own ignorance about the differences, a regular Ortho did my surgery not a sports focused Ortho. I guess the doc never asked nor did I ever say something like "I teach classes almost everyday, I work a fulltime job, and fulltime farm so I will be up on my feet working tomorrow. Because of this my knees got pretty big with fluid and inflammation and even blood pooled in some really bizarre wayss. I called my Ortho the 4 days after surgery and told him what I was seeing. Honestly, he did not believe me and tried to schedule me in 2 weeks later. This is where I knew "something was amiss at the circle K". I got pissed and unloaded. He countered claiming he had been given misleading lifestyle information. This put a lot of things in motion. The next day my wife (an attorney) went to the doctors office and got copies of everything. Under counsel (I'm always under counsel) I went to Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville to a sports ER. At first they treated for the fluid and inflammation and tried to prescribe meds. I never took pain medicine for surgery or all the post surgery stuff. An appointment was made with a great doctor by the name of Pinky Lipscomb, part of the David Lipscomb University family. He was a little older and had zero bedside manner. He quickly told me I was stupid for using the wrong kind of doctor, along with the many other mistakes I had made. We eventually established a Repore and made a plan.
The long and short, I had zero understanding of the damage of inflammation and the ease at which arthroscopic tears can be damaged. I ended with 1" tears in my right knee. Six days after the first surgery Pinky went via regular surgery and repaired the tears, scraped the patella and put me on a heavy round of anti-inflammatories. I still refused to take pain meds so the regular surgery was rough. The worst part for me was having to stay bed-ridden for 7 days. Cruel and inhuman punishment for an active person.
One of the last things Doctor Lipscomb told me was that I would end up with arthritis in my knee. He stressed that this is one of the untold negatives to arthroscopic knee surgery. Even though larger tears can be repaired and debris can be removed, this type of surgery most often ends up leaving very small tears in the cartilage.
My knees done very good up until the late 90's. I could still do anything I wanted to do but arthritis pain was setting in. Deep squats and lifts hurt.
I pray this is not your scenario and I urge you to have a LONG conversation with your doctor especially regarding what you should NOT do post-op.
Ah yikes... that is really unfortunate, sorry you had to undergo that. Yeah good advice at the end, and it never hurts to get a second opinion. I've been through the ringer too with doctors/surgeons opinions, best to view the issue from the point of view of a few different healing modalities.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that information about arthritis and arthroscopy. I wasn't aware of that, and it possibly explains some of the current issues with my right knee.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Well then, I guess I'm ahead of the game. I had arthritis before the tear, and the surgery :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am feeling so left out!
My knees are just fine!
When one hurts, it's usually something stupid like sciatica, or twisting it in a dumb way.

Status
Not open for further replies.