Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mud is big out here, too. Never could figure that out.

Mud.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bruce Lee believed, that of all the athletes out there, that dancers would make the best martial artists
That's a very generalized statements. What type of dancers? There are tons of different types of dance and all of them have their unique traits. Some dancers have trouble going between styles. For example, ballet dancers have trouble with Zumba, because in ballet you lock your core in, whereas in Zumba, your core is very loose, and there is a lot more emphasis on strong movement rather than graceful movement.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, the story goes Bruce Lee traded dancing lessons for Karate lessons. Hos instructor complained Lee picked up the martial arts so quick, he never got the base steps down good.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very disappointed. A local fitness gym added a room with a full boxing ring, mutiple heavy bags of various types, speed bags, double end bags and other cool equipment. I was there to sign up and was being shown around when I saw a sign. " NO ELBOWS, KNEES, OR KICKING. BOXING GLOVES REQUIRED ON ALL EQUIPMENT " the employee also said there shall be NO SPARRING .
So disappointed, I didn't join. It's was like holding out a chocolate bar I couldn't eat.
Wwhhaaaaat? No sparring in a boxing ring? Only punches on a bag? Golly gosh!

I'm guessing they wanted it just for "fitness-based" stuff (kicks and knees double your fitness repertoire anyways..), but wowza that's odd!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ring is set dressing...

The no knees/no elbows/must use gloves stuff is about the gear and liability. Otherwise, you'll have people with little or no training kicking and "MMA"ing the bags with street shows. They'll tear up the gear, they'll get injured and bleed on it and not clean it up.. so you have more problems. Honestly... I'm surprised they didn't lock the stuff away...

No sparring is the result of a couple of other things. Liability and staff training (their instructors are probably going to be from a one-weekend seminar on how to use "boxing" in their fitness training package, or using a packaged program that doesn't include actually applying any of it outside of pure exercise), gear costs and clean-up, and I'll bet a lot of their clients are not going to be interested in sparring. They want the exercises, maybe actually hitting enough to feel like they're "really" boxing... but they don't want to risk a split lip or black eye...
What a waste of space and equipment.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not actual walking in mud, this is Baguazhang mud walking

See no actual mud was injured during the making of this video
Ahhh! I see. His gait looks like he is trying to make his way over slippery mud. Interesting. But jokes aside, it's actually not a bad exercise to try and do your kata or basic walks (like our hanmi walk for instance) on different surfaces with different resistance. @gpseymour and I both had a chance to try that on sand and in water - VERY different experience. We also knew an instructor in Seattle who regularly took his students to train on the beach. So, trying mud walking on actual mud wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's a very generalized statements. What type of dancers? There are tons of different types of dance and all of them have their unique traits. Some dancers have trouble going between styles. For example, ballet dancers have trouble with Zumba, because in ballet you lock your core in, whereas in Zumba, your core is very loose, and there is a lot more emphasis on strong movement rather than graceful movement.

Well I would ask him but....

I believe he was referring to Ballet

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ahhh! I see. His gait looks like he is trying to make his way over slippery mud. Interesting. But jokes aside, it's actually not a bad exercise to try and do your kata or basic walks (like our hanmi walk for instance) on different surfaces with different resistance. @gpseymour and I both had a chance to try that on sand and in water - VERY different experience. We also knew an instructor in Seattle who regularly took his students to train on the beach. So, trying mud walking on actual mud wouldn't be such a bad idea.

its Chinese.... there is nothing called a kata...... and I think I might be highly offended that you are applying Japanese terms to Chinese martial arts........ APPARENTLY.... you never watched the Bruce Lee movie "Fist of Fury" or the Jet Li and Donnie Yen Remakes...... HARRUMPH :D

All kidding aside, I am a big proponent of taking your forms outside, have been for years. I have done many of my taijiquan form, and Xingyiquan forms, in various environments and outside, on uneven ground is quite a learning experience. As is doing forms, outside, on uneven ground, in the dark. A beach is also a very different experience as well, but I am kind of short on beaches in the Adirondacks.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
its Chinese.... there is nothing called a kata...... and I think I might be highly offended that you are applying Japanese terms to Chinese martial arts........ APPARENTLY.... you never watched the Bruce Lee movie "Fist of Fury" or the Jet Li and Donnie Yen Remakes...... HARRUMPH :D

All kidding aside, I am a big proponent of taking your forms outside, have been for years. I have done many of my taijiquan form, and Xingyiquan forms, in various environments and outside, on uneven ground is quite a learning experience. As is doing forms, outside, on uneven ground, in the dark. A beach is also a very different experience as well, but I am kind of short on beaches in the Adirondacks.
I was referring to the kata in our art. Which is Japanese. So, in your art, whatever facsimile you have thereof - forms, shapes, poses, stands, whatever you choose to call them. I haven't seen a single Bruce Lee movie in my life. I don't really like martial arts movies all that much.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was referring to the kata in our art. Which is Japanese. So, in your art, whatever facsimile you have thereof - forms, shapes, poses, stands, whatever you choose to call them. I haven't seen a single Bruce Lee movie in my life. I don't really like martial arts movies all that much.

don't like martial arts movies......and you give me a hard time for not jumping in mud.....

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For those that are not fans of Game of Thrones

Don't ask me why, its just I am not a fan of G.O.T. and it is all my demented brain came up with almost immediately after just reading the post before watching the video

ok, this actually makes more sense...for the non-G.O.T. fans

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't like bowling either....and I don't eat hamburgers or hot dogs...... unbeknownst to me, I may be an alien from another planet....possibly planet X

I dont care for bowling either so....

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions