Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stop, JUST STOP!!!!! you're being mean........stop it..... :D

This was almost 20 years ago.

Not doubting anything you are saying. She was 5' tall and for the record Mikhail Baryshnikov is 5'6". Rudolf Nureyev was 5'8" tall. Natalia Makarova is 5'3" tall. Ivan Vasiliev however was 5'10". So based on the little I know, most are not 6' tall. But I could be wrong

This is all I have to go on, I am not all that into Ballet, so I do not know details, like I said, we talked more about marital arts and food than Ballet. I got the feeling she missed it, but the spinal issue made it impossible for her to return, so, since it seemed a painful discussion, we did not talk about it much.

I was actually, incredibly impressed by her Shaolin Long Fist.
Yeah, injuries can really bring down a dancer's career. I wonder how many dancers we have out there who actually made awesome martial artists. Some of the principles are the same. You need to move. You need to be aware of your surroundings. Your arms and legs need to be able to do totally different things at the same thing. Your balance has to be rock-solid. You have to know exactly where your center is.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, injuries can really bring down a dancer's career. I wonder how many dancers we have out there who actually made awesome martial artists. Some of the principles are the same. You need to move. You need to be aware of your surroundings. Your arms and legs need to be able to do totally different things at the same thing. Your balance has to be rock-solid. You have to know exactly where your center is.

Bruce Lee believed, that of all the athletes out there, that dancers would make the best martial artists

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce Lee believed, that of all the athletes out there, that dancers would make the best martial artists
I remember an instructor saying in a seminar that if he had his 'druthers, he'd only take students who had at least 6 months of formal dance instruction first.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I've always disagreed with that. Dancers move like dancers when they train in striking arts. Even after years of no dancing. I can pick them out a mile away. You know who else does that? Swimmers.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've always disagreed with that. Dancers move like dancers when they train in striking arts. Even after years of no dancing. I can pick them out a mile away. You know who else does that? Swimmers.

Yeah, but as soon as they jumped into the pool to kick your butt....well that's a dead giveaway isn't it :D

Now that I got that out of the way.

Jason Scott Lee, who played Bruce Lee, in the movie, and who is now a JKD teacher, as well as an actor, and has been in a lot of martial arts movies, was a dancer when he took the part of Bruce Lee.

But the woman I referenced earlier, who was a ballet dancer that was training long fist. You cold most definitely tell she was a dancer before martial arts

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very disappointed. A local fitness gym added a room with a full boxing ring, mutiple heavy bags of various types, speed bags, double end bags and other cool equipment. I was there to sign up and was being shown around when I saw a sign. " NO ELBOWS, KNEES, OR KICKING. BOXING GLOVES REQUIRED ON ALL EQUIPMENT " the employee also said there shall be NO SPARRING .
So disappointed, I didn't join. It's was like holding out a chocolate bar I couldn't eat.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very disappointed. A local fitness gym added a room with a full boxing ring, mutiple heavy bags of various types, speed bags, double end bags and other cool equipment. I was there to sign up and was being shown around when I saw a sign. " NO ELBOWS, KNEES, OR KICKING. BOXING GLOVES REQUIRED ON ALL EQUIPMENT " the employee also said there shall be NO SPARRING .
So disappointed, I didn't join. It's was like holding out a chocolate bar I couldn't eat.
That's a shame. Honestly, I could accept the no elbows knees or kicking (I doubt they have someone watching the bags 24/7), but the no sparring would be a dealbreaker for me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, in the precise hell, is the point of the ring if they're not going to allow sparring? And if you're not sparring, why no elbows, knees, or kicks?? Are they afraid for the bags?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What, in the precise hell, is the point of the ring if they're not going to allow sparring? And if you're not sparring, why no elbows, knees, or kicks?? Are they afraid for the bags?
It makes sense if it's meant as a boxing ring. Which is why I would accept that...it's not what I would want, but it's something. But I agree: What in the precise hell is the point of the ring if they're not going to allow sparring? Could not have worded it better if I tried.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kind of like cardio kick boxing with the ring to look cool and make the folks training there feel like boxers.

Dated a woman years ago who was into that, I got in real trouble when I told her that is not real kick boxing.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
why no elbows, knees, or kicks?? Are they afraid for the bags?
Maybe I could have said that better. Yes they are worried about the bags. No kicks, knees or elbows on the bags. And you have to wear boxing gloves to hit the bags.
They have 24/7 camera's all over. There is another sign that says "BEHAVE YOU ARE ON CAMERA"

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe I could have said that better. Yes they are worried about the bags. No kicks, knees or elbows on the bags. And you have to wear boxing gloves to hit the bags.
They have 24/7 camera's all over. There is another sign that says "BEHAVE YOU ARE ON CAMERA"
run, don't walk, into the other direction

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is their fear about elbows and knees on a bag? They're going to be beaten sloppy by folks punching them, anyway.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have had dancers over the years. They really struggle with the anatomy of a high kick because of how they have stretched and programmed their bodies, most from childhood. They all had incredible stretch as I remember, it was just different the way they do it, primarily in their hips. Even doing a front kick which seems very basic to me was a struggle because they always want to rotate their hips.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have had dancers over the years. They really struggle with the anatomy of a high kick because of how they have stretched and programmed their bodies, most from childhood. They all had incredible stretch as I remember, it was just different the way they do it, primarily in their hips. Even doing a front kick which seems very basic to me was a struggle because they always want to rotate their hips.
yeah, you have to really pay attention to the mechanics, and do it slowly.
one gal at the school had previously done body building, with little stretching, but more dance style stuff for posing. She had a funky front kick.
(but seeing the Sabum blush when she showed him a photo from competition days, in competition bikini? Priceless!)
Muscle memory is a funny thing!

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

The ring is set dressing...

The no knees/no elbows/must use gloves stuff is about the gear and liability. Otherwise, you'll have people with little or no training kicking and "MMA"ing the bags with street shows. They'll tear up the gear, they'll get injured and bleed on it and not clean it up.. so you have more problems. Honestly... I'm surprised they didn't lock the stuff away...

No sparring is the result of a couple of other things. Liability and staff training (their instructors are probably going to be from a one-weekend seminar on how to use "boxing" in their fitness training package, or using a packaged program that doesn't include actually applying any of it outside of pure exercise), gear costs and clean-up, and I'll bet a lot of their clients are not going to be interested in sparring. They want the exercises, maybe actually hitting enough to feel like they're "really" boxing... but they don't want to risk a split lip or black eye...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Ah, a Karate school disguised as a boxing gym! Sorry, couldn't resist.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmmm....I have to ask myself.....if I feel like going to my basement and doing some Baguazhang mud walking..... why am I sitting here posting...... later
mud walking?
Remember your allergies!
Or you have to stomp a mud hole into a posterior first, then you can mud walk til it's dry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions