Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I got to ditch my crutches yesterday, and am cleared to just walk around. I'll keep them in the car for a while, in case I'm out somewhere doing too much walking and the toe starts to complain, but it's nice to just be able to walk. Now maybe my right leg will stop bitching.

On the down side, I still can't wear a regular shoe. My doc suggested I go get some shoes with less-flexible soles, so I could ditch the "ugly shoe" they gave me. But just putting my foot down into the shoe, so the tongue touches the area of surgery (not even pushing the foot into the shoe) was excruciating. So, still no normal shoe.

Given that, I'm thinking I won't manage my mud run the first week in June (which the doc had originally thought was just barely doable). Something would have to change really dramatically in the next week for me to think I could make that. Bummed about that.
Great about ditching the crutches! I know the feeling!

But sorry about missing the run, must be disappointing, best to recover so that you're in tip top shape for future runs :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are there any liquor stores that make ANY tea and corn bread?
... every time I see the words corn bread, a reggae song I have called "Roast fish and corn bread" just keeps looping in my head...

The song is very downtempo, and pretty much a dude singing "Roast fish and corn bread... YEAH", over, and over, and over...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been a while, so here is some Office Gallery stuff.

P. S. Did you know? If you draw 1-2 pictures, three days a week, for three months, your drawing technique improves?

55776329_2276817719006647_7444131072268304384_o.jpg

56459514_2287085554646530_7463579448688771072_o.jpg

56372192_2288901507798268_2727226498346909696_o.jpg

58779061_2328532357168516_5904509597300817920_o.jpg

56857577_2297452423609843_3157397301589180416_o.jpg

59677500_2339459946075757_725180802450587648_o.jpg

59947053_2339610559394029_3866218015263555584_o.jpg

59754643_2340864422601976_5498641097703817216_o.jpg

59774514_2341137719241313_3441028721249615872_n.jpg
...... stunning!!! :O love them

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I got to ditch my crutches yesterday, and am cleared to just walk around. I'll keep them in the car for a while, in case I'm out somewhere doing too much walking and the toe starts to complain, but it's nice to just be able to walk. Now maybe my right leg will stop bitching.

On the down side, I still can't wear a regular shoe. My doc suggested I go get some shoes with less-flexible soles, so I could ditch the "ugly shoe" they gave me. But just putting my foot down into the shoe, so the tongue touches the area of surgery (not even pushing the foot into the shoe) was excruciating. So, still no normal shoe.

Given that, I'm thinking I won't manage my mud run the first week in June (which the doc had originally thought was just barely doable). Something would have to change really dramatically in the next week for me to think I could make that. Bummed about that.
Great news to loose the crutches. Life truly gets in the way of our plans sometimes. I am certain you will get muddy when you are able.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How sick in the head do you have to be in order to watch a video on improving your grand jete ballet technique, only to think immediately after how it might improve your front kick technique? Asking for a friend.

I once dated a ballerina... well when I dated her she was a psychologist...spinal injury got her out of ballet. I meant her in a Shaolin Long Fist class. She was a thing of beauty to watch doing forms and she had the most graceful kicks I had ever seen, and she was quick and powerful too. I became convinced that she would kick the living daylights out of any would-be assailant because they would be just watching in awe at her graceful movements. And then, while beat-up and on the ground.....they would applaud her for her beautiful performance.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
...... stunning!!! :O love them
Thank you. I still cheat with people a bit. I am THIS close to breaking away from it, but I still trace the outline when I draw people, especially people in motion (like dancers). I think the next one I do I am going to try and do without the tracing. I managed to graduate from that with buildings and animals. So, people are next.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I once dated a ballerina... well when I dated her she was a psychologist...spinal injury got her out of ballet. I meant her in a Shaolin Long Fist class. She was a thing of beauty to watch doing forms and she had the most graceful kicks I had ever seen, and she was quick and powerful too. I became convinced that she would kick the living daylights out of any would-be assailant because they would be just watching in awe at her graceful movements. And then, while beat-up and on the ground.....they would applaud her for her beautiful performance.
Fun fact - not every ballet dancer is a ballerina. "Ballerina" is a title - it applies to principal dancers. So, if a dancer is an apprentice or a soloist, she is not technically a ballerina.

Another fun fact - I had no idea, but apparently Bruce Lee studied ballet.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Fun fact - not every ballet dancer is a ballerina. "Ballerina" is a title - it applies to principal dancers. So, if a dancer is an apprentice or a soloist, she is not technically a ballerina.

DON'T BURST MY BUBBLE!!!!! she was a BALLERINA !!!!!! :D

Actually she told me she use to be in the Ballet..... I referred to her as a Ballerina I had no idea it was a title and I have no idea what her position was in the Ballet. We actually had many more discussions about Psychology, food and Martial arts than Ballet. This was where I also learned that Ballet folks are tiny.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

One of my old instructors, Billy Blanks, studied Ballet. He even performed in The Nutcracker in Pennsylvania several times. We used to do several ballet exercises. Demi Plies, Degages and a few others that I forget the names of. We did them with weight vests, but it was still Ballet exercises. It was kind of fun.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, Ballet is a tough workout.
All while looking graceful!.
you do it right, the warmup has you drenched without ever doing more than a skip.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shall state this now...... I am really tired of Office 2016 in all its versions and Project 2016 is right there too......if both were mysteriously eradicated from the universe...... I'd be ok with that
I was never a fan, either. I like the current iteration of Office 365 a bit better. I think Office 2010 was the best, overall.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great about ditching the crutches! I know the feeling!

But sorry about missing the run, must be disappointing, best to recover so that you're in tip top shape for future runs :)
Oh, I'm never in tip-top shape for a run. But I try to draw the line at actually injuring myself by participating. So, if the foot doesn't start to improve dramatically, I'll have to change to another date (already paid) - the next good opportunity is October.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was never a fan, either. I like the current iteration of Office 365 a bit better. I think Office 2010 was the best, overall.
why does MS FUBAR the programs with each generation?
Like Movie maker (The vista version was awesome, sucked after that) or the media player (STOP MESSING WITH A GOOD THING!!!!)
dang. I might have to learn Linux....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We have to play catch-up since we don't have cable. So, we are on Peter Capaldi - the one before the latest doctor. But "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey" goes back to David Tennant.
You guys can purchase the entire current season of Dr. Who on amazon prime for under $25. I like it a lot.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
DON'T BURST MY BUBBLE!!!!! she was a BALLERINA !!!!!! :D

Actually she told me she use to be in the Ballet..... I referred to her as a Ballerina I had no idea it was a title and I have no idea what her position was in the Ballet. We actually had many more discussions about Psychology, food and Martial arts than Ballet. This was where I also learned that Ballet folks are tiny.
I am sorry to burst another bubble - but no, not all ballet folks are tiny. Male dancers are often tall and super-strong since they have to be able to bench press the girls and carry them around multiple times in the course of one evening. Female dancers range from 5 ft to almost 6 ft tall. And now, more and more ballet companies are opening their repertoire to more body types. Here is one example - I love her. She has such a beautiful line and she is so graceful.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my old instructors, Billy Blanks, studied Ballet. He even performed in The Nutcracker in Pennsylvania several times. We used to do several ballet exercises. Demi Plies, Degages and a few others that I forget the names of. We did them with weight vests, but it was still Ballet exercises. It was kind of fun.
Releves are good too - especially one-footed ones. You get ankles and calves of steel.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kathryn Morgan is a professional dancer, was a soloist with NYC Ballet and is now a soloist in Miami. But I think this applies to many of us since we ALL have back issues and tight IT band issues. I've had to do some of these as part of my physical therapy two years ago - they are THE BOMB.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am sorry to burst another bubble - but no, not all ballet folks are tiny. Male dancers are often tall and super-strong since they have to be able to bench press the girls and carry them around multiple times in the course of one evening. Female dancers range from 5 ft to almost 6 ft tall. And now, more and more ballet companies are opening their repertoire to more body types. Here is one example - I love her. She has such a beautiful line and she is so graceful.

Stop, JUST STOP!!!!! you're being mean........stop it..... :D

This was almost 20 years ago.

Not doubting anything you are saying. She was 5' tall and for the record Mikhail Baryshnikov is 5'6". Rudolf Nureyev was 5'8" tall. Natalia Makarova is 5'3" tall. Ivan Vasiliev however was 5'10". So based on the little I know, most are not 6' tall. But I could be wrong

This is all I have to go on, I am not all that into Ballet, so I do not know details, like I said, we talked more about marital arts and food than Ballet. I got the feeling she missed it, but the spinal issue made it impossible for her to return, so, since it seemed a painful discussion, we did not talk about it much.

I was actually, incredibly impressed by her Shaolin Long Fist.

Status
Not open for further replies.