Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
The short story is a surgically replaced foot with all the graphed and cadaver parts, pins and screws you can imagine and a shattered tib/fib with the knee plated 12° out of place. Walking adds up pretty quick unless I pay attention to my gate. Other crap but those are the two that slow me down the most. I basically had to re-learn how to walk and talk from the brain injury I suffered. Once I finally got them back after about 2 years of rehab I do pretty good with coordination so the pushing, pulling and climbing might be ok.

Wow, that is amazing! You persevered - that is incredible! You are a hero. Since walking is dicey for you, I would definitely suggest starting with a 1-mile event with 6-8 obstacles. And maybe bring a couple of friends to give you a boost now and then. Your gait is bound to change since this is all outside, so how you walk is partly determined by the terrain. For example, the Huntersville, NC track is usually pretty flat - there aren't many mountains around Charlotte. But where we usually go in GA is around the Georgia mountains, so there is some up and down. Plus, the Huntersville one is in June. June in the middle of North Carolina means hot and humid. For all of @gpseymour 's experience with running in various weathers, there was one we did where that humidity was like a wall of hot soup around you - it damn near killed me and it hit him hard.

My point is - even with your amazing recovery, with so much going against you, pick your event carefully so you have a chance to have fun and not be turned off for life.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I you are divers I strongly recommend the Aqua-Cat liveaboard with all star liveaboards. Fantastic and intimate.
For all my love of the ocean, I am not sure how I would like diving. I'd like to try it in a pool first and see what I think. I have some weird reactions to certain things. We have looked at small boat cruises, like Viking, but the cost remains prohibitive at this time. It's not just the cruise itself, it's getting there, plus boarding the dogs, finding someone to look after the cats, etc.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Piffle. Our evaluaters would have just left that for the next shift.
And, realistically, they should. It's going to take more than 20 minutes to evaluate them from a medical standpoint. And it's pretty pointless to start talking with the psych staff until we decide what we're going to need to do medically.

In the last hospital I worked at the Psych staff called in meant that the staff would come to the ER and basically say..."I don't know, call the doctor" and then it was a 1 to 2 hour wait for the doctor to get there and then he'd spend 4 to 6 hours roaming around and occasionally talking to the patient, only to have him say... medicate and admit...and then leave

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've got no patience for people in general. I find I'm more tolerable of them when I'm on vacation though.

Some people are like slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face if you push them down a flight of stairs.

PizzaUnderstands.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Piffle. Our evaluaters would have just left that for the next shift.
And, realistically, they should. It's going to take more than 20 minutes to evaluate them from a medical standpoint. And it's pretty pointless to start talking with the psych staff until we decide what we're going to need to do medically.
Oh, I could have left it for the next shift and in actuality that's what I'm supposed to do (except for super simple stuff I'm not supposed to take anything new within the last 40 minutes or so of my shift). But there was going to be a gap for 8 hours, and since there was only substance use, not psych, they can't hold him to the morning. Here, assuming no extraneous medical issues, the protocal is to hold overdoses for evaluation around 4 hours, so there was a good chance he would be discharged before the morning guy got a chance to see him.

What I'm supposed to do is confirm there's no psych element, no risk of suicide, blah blah, and then leave it for the morning, or to call the next day to discuss treatment and getting him in somewhere. But I've found it's pretty tough to get someone to agree to go anywhere after they've left the hospital so if I can, I'll get them before they leave.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I could have left it for the next shift and in actuality that's what I'm supposed to do (except for super simple stuff I'm not supposed to take anything new within the last 40 minutes or so of my shift). But there was going to be a gap for 8 hours, and since there was only substance use, not psych, they can't hold him to the morning. Here, assuming no extraneous medical issues, the protocal is to hold overdoses for evaluation around 4 hours, so there was a good chance he would be discharged before the morning guy got a chance to see him.

What I'm supposed to do is confirm there's no psych element, no risk of suicide, blah blah, and then leave it for the morning, or to call the next day to discuss treatment and getting him in somewhere. But I've found it's pretty tough to get someone to agree to go anywhere after they've left the hospital so if I can, I'll get them before they leave.
@Dirty Dog sadly, I'm not the worst with this. The week I originally got hired, one of my coworkers was supposed to leave at 11PM, stayed until around 4-5AM trying to get people into detoxes, or convince them to stay for rehab. A bunch of people apparently came in after she was supposed to leave, and she just kept seeing them. In reality, we need to get someone to fill in that gap, but the hospital refuses to create the position.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For all my love of the ocean, I am not sure how I would like diving. I'd like to try it in a pool first and see what I think. I have some weird reactions to certain things. We have looked at small boat cruises, like Viking, but the cost remains prohibitive at this time. It's not just the cruise itself, it's getting there, plus boarding the dogs, finding someone to look after the cats, etc.
We have the same problem with our farm. I have to pay other ranchers I trust to take care of things while we are gone. If I didn't I don't think I could enjoy the trip. We boarded out of Nassau if I remember correctly so a pretty easy and affordable connection.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, that is amazing! You persevered - that is incredible! You are a hero. Since walking is dicey for you, I would definitely suggest starting with a 1-mile event with 6-8 obstacles. And maybe bring a couple of friends to give you a boost now and then. Your gait is bound to change since this is all outside, so how you walk is partly determined by the terrain. For example, the Huntersville, NC track is usually pretty flat - there aren't many mountains around Charlotte. But where we usually go in GA is around the Georgia mountains, so there is some up and down. Plus, the Huntersville one is in June. June in the middle of North Carolina means hot and humid. For all of @gpseymour 's experience with running in various weathers, there was one we did where that humidity was like a wall of hot soup around you - it damn near killed me and it hit him hard.

My point is - even with your amazing recovery, with so much going against you, pick your event carefully so you have a chance to have fun and not be turned off for life.
Thanks, I'm certainly no hero; just someone who was in a bad accident. And I don't see it as anything going against me. More I just try to stay the same course I always have. It doesn't always work the way I think it should but then there is always tomorrow.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm certainly no hero; just someone who was in a bad accident. And I don't see it as anything going against me. More I just try to stay the same course I always have. It doesn't always work the way I think it should but then there is always tomorrow.
You know... there is a chapter in one of my books called "You are someone's ideal". It talks about how, when you don't think you've done that much, survived that much, or conquered that much, it still looks like a whole heck of a lot to someone. There are lots of people out there, who have a really bad accident and just give up. And you didn't. And that is awesome.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know... there is a chapter in one of my books called "You are someone's ideal". It talks about how, when you don't think you've done that much, survived that much, or conquered that much, it still looks like a whole heck of a lot to someone. There are lots of people out there, who have a really bad accident and just give up. And you didn't. And that is awesome.
I wish bad on no one but do feel bad for the masses who never swim in the deep water. How do you really know, anything, if you have no real gauge on life. I love the saying "there are no losers, you either win or you learn".

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not realize a person could recover from an overdose that fast. Fast enough to try it again in the same week. I pray they find a little light in their life.
Once your safe and not dying, you're pretty okay. Mostly people just are angry. Ive seen multiple times people go to the bathroom while still in the hospital and OD again, before they even get out. And in the parking lot as they're leaving.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once your safe and not dying, you're pretty okay. Mostly people just are angry. Ive seen multiple times people go to the bathroom while still in the hospital and OD again, before they even get out. And in the parking lot as they're leaving.
@Dirty Dog and @Xue Sheng probably have stories they could share-they've worked in hospitals for a lot longer.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, reckless. It sounds like they know what they want to do. A bullet is much quicker and surely less painless.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog sadly, I'm not the worst with this. The week I originally got hired, one of my coworkers was supposed to leave at 11PM, stayed until around 4-5AM trying to get people into detoxes, or convince them to stay for rehab. A bunch of people apparently came in after she was supposed to leave, and she just kept seeing them. In reality, we need to get someone to fill in that gap, but the hospital refuses to create the position.
the joy of healthcare for profit.
This addiction thing isn't as easy as unaffected people think it is. 'Just Say No' isn't the cure.
Detox is on;y the first step. usually does not work.

There are bad habits to break (and they do play a huge part in addiction) and the real problem to solve.
Be it mental issues (AKA self-medicating) or what have you.
I found that a lot of people who do take drugs (not saying they are addicts) have the veneer of a nice home/upbringing, but oh boy, when you scratch, the poop bubbles over.
And of course, I had to hold my husband's hand through physical withdrawals from legal opioids more than once (Long story for another time, a wonder I didn't kill him!) without being actually addicted. He is weird like this: He used snuff like crazy when we met. fretting when he got down to half a can. He had to have a tooth pulled, and the dentist scared him about 'dry socket' and he quit cold turkey.
He can drink like a fish, and as long as it isn't tequila, he's good. He got on a diet (low carb) and decided he wasn't going to pour those uncounted calories in himself anymore. Not a problem. I am surprised the liquor store has not send the sheriff to see if we are still alive!

Alas, I hate when hospitals don't spend the money where it is needed.
F the facilities, as long as shareholders and CEOs are sitting pretty!

But yeah, addiction is not simple, but going back to where you got addicted in the first place

Thanks for riding it out though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions