Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or a flu/norovirus doesn't infect everyone... or an engine fails. Seems like every year, two or three ships experience some kind of extreme poop/vomit crisis. But, err.... I’m sure you’ll have a great time. ;)
I think it's one of those statistic things, where if you look at the news it sounds likely, but in reality compared to the number of trips its as dangerous as driving a car. Like shark attacks, or killer bacon.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you mean leg joint mobility (range of motion), there are places where that can make the obstacle more difficult - getting a leg over the top, etc. In many of them, it wouldn't be an issue. If it's arm joint mobility, some of the overhead stuff might be tough to reach. If it's inability to get off the couch, well, they won't bring the mud to your couch. :p
Yes, running is not an option. I can belly crawl, climb and pull ok I think. Getting around on my knees is not pretty and I will pay for it but that is just part of it. I can definitely go uphill easier than downhill.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just do it. You're saving someone else.

You can't leave it there, all alone, overnight.

Poor lonely little cookie. All by itself. Left in a dark dreary office. :bawling:

You're going to abandon that poor cookie to a life alone? Be the bigger man. Go get that sucker.

Well....mean, cold, uncaring, evil, insensitive me left that little cookie there to is lonely existence and went to the doctor's office....of course, if it is still there in the morning...I may need to put it out of its misery

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heading to bermuda, then florida, than the bahamas.

If you guys get time, you should go, they're loads of fun. As long as you don't get seasick super easily.
The problem for us is that neither of us much likes the company of strangers. I have no patience with them, and the Hobbit just doesn't like crowds. We keep looking at some of the small-ship cruises, but money is always a factor.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, running is not an option. I can belly crawl, climb and pull ok I think. Getting around on my knees is not pretty and I will pay for it but that is just part of it. I can definitely go uphill easier than downhill.
You can definitely get by with no running. The 10-mile I did last year on a Sunday, I walked part part of it with an octogenarian who was walking the whole thing - she'd also walked it the day before. You can mostly avoid the knees if you can spiderman-crawl (hands and feet, rather than knees) and belly crawl.

My experience is that it's fun even when you hit obstacles you can't do. I had a run of arm/shoulder injuries over a couple of years, and all of the recovery time left my arms (and grip) weaker than I'm used to. Several of the finishing obstacles were beyond my ability, but I had fun trying.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well....mean, cold, uncaring, evil, insensitive me left that little cookie there to is lonely existence and went to the doctor's office....of course, if it is still there in the morning...I may need to put it out of its misery
Heartless bastard.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't run. I walk. And since I have some weird skeletal silliness going on, I exercise constantly to develop and maintain my mobility. All my dance-based classes (Zumba, belly dancing, Barre) actually help in that respect, since there are lots of squats, leg lifts, and core work, which helps when you have to climb or crawl.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem for us is that neither of us much likes the company of strangers. I have no patience with them, and the Hobbit just doesn't like crowds. We keep looking at some of the small-ship cruises, but money is always a factor.
I've got no patience for people in general. I find I'm more tolerable of them when I'm on vacation though.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't run. I walk. And since I have some weird skeletal silliness going on, I exercise constantly to develop and maintain my mobility. All my dance-based classes (Zumba, belly dancing, Barre) actually help in that respect, since there are lots of squats, leg lifts, and core work, which helps when you have to climb or crawl.
The short story is a surgically replaced foot, and a knee 12
The short story is a surgically replaced foot with all the graphed and cadaver parts, pins and screws you can imagine and a shattered tib/fib with the knee plated 12° out of place. Walking adds up pretty quick unless I pay attention to my gate. Other crap but those are the two that slow me down the most. I basically had to re-learn how to walk and talk from the brain injury I suffered. Once I finally got them back after about 2 years of rehab I do pretty good with coordination so the pushing, pulling and climbing might be ok.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I you are divers I strongly recommend the Aqua-Cat liveaboard with all star liveaboards. Fantastic and intimate.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I you are divers I strongly recommend the Aqua-Cat liveaboard with all star liveaboards. Fantastic and intimate.

Now THAT looks cool
After this cruise though, plus saving for the wedding, going to be a while before we can go on it. I wish there were ways to save posts on this site to go back to.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
An overdose came in 20 minutes before my shift ended, no one was following me up so i had to stay an extra hour. So much for packing tonight

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
An overdose came in 20 minutes before my shift ended, no one was following me up so i had to stay an extra hour. So much for packing tonight

Piffle. Our evaluaters would have just left that for the next shift.
And, realistically, they should. It's going to take more than 20 minutes to evaluate them from a medical standpoint. And it's pretty pointless to start talking with the psych staff until we decide what we're going to need to do medically.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The short story is a surgically replaced foot, and a knee 12

The short story is a surgically replaced foot with all the graphed and cadaver parts, pins and screws you can imagine and a shattered tib/fib with the knee plated 12° out of place. Walking adds up pretty quick unless I pay attention to my gate. Other crap but those are the two that slow me down the most. I basically had to re-learn how to walk and talk from the brain injury I suffered. Once I finally got them back after about 2 years of rehab I do pretty good with coordination so the pushing, pulling and climbing might be ok.
Yeah, then the shorter ones are probably the best bet for you. Should be a lot of fun, without the excess of distances. I can't think of any in Warrior Dash that would require a run-up and jump (there's one where that's an option, but there's also a climb-up option).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't dived in 30 years - not since my grandad's death. I keep thinking someday I'll take it back up, but haven't run into anyone who dives (and I tend to get into thing with other people).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions