Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once your safe and not dying, you're pretty okay. Mostly people just are angry. Ive seen multiple times people go to the bathroom while still in the hospital and OD again, before they even get out. And in the parking lot as they're leaving.
That really shows what addiction does to a person, man. You'd think even the subject would see the problem, but then the need kicks in...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog and @Xue Sheng probably have stories they could share-they've worked in hospitals for a lot longer.

@Dirty Dog likely has more than I do. I worked in hospitals for over 10 years but it was over 20 years ago. But I have dealt with more than one Drug Related issue, but I was the guy they called to deal with them when they went off the rails

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the joy of healthcare for profit.
This addiction thing isn't as easy as unaffected people think it is. 'Just Say No' isn't the cure.
Detox is on;y the first step. usually does not work.

There are bad habits to break (and they do play a huge part in addiction) and the real problem to solve.
Be it mental issues (AKA self-medicating) or what have you.
I found that a lot of people who do take drugs (not saying they are addicts) have the veneer of a nice home/upbringing, but oh boy, when you scratch, the poop bubbles over.
And of course, I had to hold my husband's hand through physical withdrawals from legal opioids more than once (Long story for another time, a wonder I didn't kill him!) without being actually addicted. He is weird like this: He used snuff like crazy when we met. fretting when he got down to half a can. He had to have a tooth pulled, and the dentist scared him about 'dry socket' and he quit cold turkey.
He can drink like a fish, and as long as it isn't tequila, he's good. He got on a diet (low carb) and decided he wasn't going to pour those uncounted calories in himself anymore. Not a problem. I am surprised the liquor store has not send the sheriff to see if we are still alive!

Alas, I hate when hospitals don't spend the money where it is needed.
F the facilities, as long as shareholders and CEOs are sitting pretty!

But yeah, addiction is not simple, but going back to where you got addicted in the first place

Thanks for riding it out though.....
There are only a few things I consent to say I must have; my faith, my wife/family, it is a short list. There are things I love to do or have but thinking of addiction scares the hell out of me.
I used to drink quite a bit in my teens and early 20's and raised a fair amount of hell but grew out of that. I still enjoy a beer a few times a week but no more. I used to run with a crowd where it was not uncommon to see lines of cocaine laid out. I never had an urge to try. I tried weed a few times and didn't like the effects.
I see addiction as a lack of independence. Instead of learning how to handle the smallest levels of adversity, people live down to a level of existence that I do not understand. Society has stopped encouraging and, frankly forcing people to subside. When a person doesn't have to actively work their mental and physical self to get by, it appears traps abound. Human nature? I often wonder. Left to our own devices people can do some strange stuff.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I could have left it for the next shift and in actuality that's what I'm supposed to do (except for super simple stuff I'm not supposed to take anything new within the last 40 minutes or so of my shift). But there was going to be a gap for 8 hours, and since there was only substance use, not psych, they can't hold him to the morning. Here, assuming no extraneous medical issues, the protocal is to hold overdoses for evaluation around 4 hours, so there was a good chance he would be discharged before the morning guy got a chance to see him.

What I'm supposed to do is confirm there's no psych element, no risk of suicide, blah blah, and then leave it for the morning, or to call the next day to discuss treatment and getting him in somewhere. But I've found it's pretty tough to get someone to agree to go anywhere after they've left the hospital so if I can, I'll get them before they leave.

Our routine is to hold them for 12 hours, by which time they're considered "sober" (and yes, I know it's an arbitrary time) and get evaluated by psych. That's assuming there was any psych issue. If they're just brought in drunk/stoned and there's no SI/HI/significant disability, they're classed as "MTF" which means Metabolizing To Freedom. We will get psych involved if there is the slightest interest in detox, but otherwise we discharge them when they're reasonably sober.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are only a few things I consent to say I must have; my faith, my wife/family, it is a short list. There are things I love to do or have but thinking of addiction scares the hell out of me.
I used to drink quite a bit in my teens and early 20's and raised a fair amount of hell but grew out of that. I still enjoy a beer a few times a week but no more. I used to run with a crowd where it was not uncommon to see lines of cocaine laid out. I never had an urge to try. I tried weed a few times and didn't like the effects.
I see addiction as a lack of independence. Instead of learning how to handle the smallest levels of adversity, people live down to a level of existence that I do not understand. Society has stopped encouraging and, frankly forcing people to subside. When a person doesn't have to actively work their mental and physical self to get by, it appears traps abound. Human nature? I often wonder. Left to our own devices people can do some strange stuff.
If it only was that simple.
there are a lot of things that drive people to drug use.
the individuals understand emotionally that something isn't right and use illicit substances to counteract.
Of course, there are studies that follow preteens into adulthood, and conclude that using weed as young person causes mental problems, but seeing that you can't hand illegal substances out like that, the study is flawed.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This may be more for me than @Dirty Dog, but then he is into off roading as well.

I actually saw one of these driving down the road 2 days ago, and before this I have only seen them in pictures

1978-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-HJ-45-Long-Bed-Pickup-Truck-1.jpg

It appeared to be in excellent condition,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you're describing is the escapism that drives some people to drugs. It's not the full mechanism (maybe not even part of the mechanism, depending which theories you look at) for addiction. Addiction is apparently more dependent (pun intended) on brain chemicals and what our brains get "used to". And some brains are more inclined to chemical dependency than others, for reasons that are not entirely clear (though we have some suspect mechanisms that can explain parts of the issue). Once someone is addicted (especially to psychoactive drugs), escapism is a very small part of the issue.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it only was that simple.
there are a lot of things that drive people to drug use.
the individuals understand emotionally that something isn't right and use illicit substances to counteract.
Of course, there are studies that follow preteens into adulthood, and conclude that using weed as young person causes mental problems, but seeing that you can't hand illegal substances out like that, the study is flawed.
And add in the concept that some people may be self-medicating for undiagnosed/untreated issues.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow, reckless. It sounds like they know what they want to do. A bullet is much quicker and surely less painless.
And permanent. A person who survives has an opportunity to get clean. And many do. Their lives still have value.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not realize a person could recover from an overdose that fast. Fast enough to try it again in the same week. I pray they find a little light in their life.
Unfortunately, I know cases of days... not weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Once your safe and not dying, you're pretty okay. Mostly people just are angry. Ive seen multiple times people go to the bathroom while still in the hospital and OD again, before they even get out. And in the parking lot as they're leaving.

Many moons ago, in one of the hospitals I worked in with a Detox and mental health ward, the police brought in a bleeding IV drug user, who at one point was sitting in the ER room screaming "If you just give me some heroin I'd be fine" It was interesting to watch the nurse attempt to explain that we do not have Heroin in the pharmacy. She eventually gave up because the IV drug user continually told her that she knew she was lying.

The drug user attempted to leave, that is why I was there, to stop her from leaving. She was eventually restrained just prior to admission to the detox unit. However I can tall you walking into the ER, unaware of why you were called, having a bloody IV drug user come running at you screaming, and you have not had time to put your gloves on, is not a fun time

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This may be more for me than @Dirty Dog, but then he is into off roading as well.

I actually saw one of these driving down the road 2 days ago, and before this I have only seen them in pictures

1978-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-HJ-45-Long-Bed-Pickup-Truck-1.jpg

It appeared to be in excellent condition,

Man, talk about a sweet ride.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, there've been some technical difficulties with our Warrior Dash photos, and apparently they won't be available for another couple of weeks. Boo....

Most likely, it's the difficulties with indexing them and getting them onto the GameFace Media site where they keep such things.

The Dash employs a rather nifty technology for people to find their photos. When you get to the event and your registration is confirmed, you get the bib with your number. The bib number is immediately associated with your name. When the photos become available, they are not just dumped in a pile for you to dig through umpteen zillion pictures to find three shots of yourself. They are split by obstacle, by time interval, and can be searched by name or by bib number. If you'd lost your bib - you can look your bib number right there and then search.

They've never had an issue in the past, this is the first year something's gone wrong. They do 20-something events every year, each getting its own set of photos, so, statistically, this was bound to happen.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.