Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like a blast. It is an actual race or does each person go at their own pace? I am really slow but would love to do this in May when it comes to Nashville.
There is a timed wave - I think it's at 8:00 am - if you want to compete for time. There are some mutants who scale the whole thing in under 30 minutes. If memory serves, the kid who won the men's timed race last year was 14 years old and did it in 23 minutes. The other waves are non-competitive. If you are doing this with a team, you can all agree in advance whether you are going to run for it or not. I can't run so I do a little ceremonial jog for the first quarter of a mile just to pacify the Warrior Dash gods, and then we walk. @gpseymour does run when he goes solo.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try it with friends. You will like it; after the initial shock that is.:)
I know I keep trying to drag you all into this with us but seriously... I DO understand this is not for everyone. I get it - honest. I have friends whom I adore and consider my siblings from other mothers - and they won't do it with me because they just really hate mud and cold slimy water. They are plenty fit, just don't want to get dirty, and getting dirty is really kind of the point. That said, if you don't have a mud allergy like @Xue Sheng and have a Warrior Dash going on somewhere within driving distance (not 27,000 miles away) - give it a shot. The Dash now offers three types of events - 1 mile, 5k, and 10k. So, if you are REALLY not sure, try the 1 mile one with 6-8 obstacles (@gpseymour stop laughing - they really haven't had a chance to do an exact count yet), and see how you like it. If you can bring a friend or several to go at with you - even better. It's always nice to have some one to cheer you on when you get stuck.

I wrote up a blog post covering the highlights from this year's event, so take a peek if you are interested. The obstacle names are hyperlinks that will take you to a description, photos, and 3D models of the obstacle.
A mind lively and at ease: Warrior Dash obstacle review - Covington, GA - 2019

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know I keep trying to drag you all into this with us but seriously... I DO understand this is not for everyone. I get it - honest. I have friends whom I adore and consider my siblings from other mothers - and they won't do it with me because they just really hate mud and cold slimy water. They are plenty fit, just don't want to get dirty, and getting dirty is really kind of the point. That said, if you don't have a mud allergy like @Xue Sheng and have a Warrior Dash going on somewhere within driving distance (not 27,000 miles away) - give it a shot. The Dash now offers three types of events - 1 mile, 5k, and 10k. So, if you are REALLY not sure, try the 1 mile one with 6-8 obstacles (@gpseymour stop laughing - they really haven't had a chance to do an exact count yet), and see how you like it. If you can bring a friend or several to go at with you - even better. It's always nice to have some one to cheer you on when you get stuck.

I wrote up a blog post covering the highlights from this year's event, so take a peek if you are interested. The obstacle names are hyperlinks that will take you to a description, photos, and 3D models of the obstacle.

Why am I getting the impression that at least part of that....was a jab at me :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tomorrow I have the type of MD appointment where you really hope they can figure out what the heck is going on and why I feel so lousy much of the time...while at the same time not wanting to know what they find...if they find anything at all.....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tomorrow I have the type of MD appointment where you really hope they can figure out what the heck is going on and why I feel so lousy much of the time...while at the same time not wanting to know what they find...if they find anything at all.....
I need to have one of those.
And I dread doing this, too, because, you know 'I am feeling bad' is really not very accurate, but the best I can come up with.
Can't wait for Star Trek type scanners....why did they go with the damn cellphone first! Those scanners would be so much more useful!
(or plug me in like a car...yep, that 3rd cylinder is bad...)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a blast. It is an actual race or does each person go at their own pace? I am really slow but would love to do this in May when it comes to Nashville.
There are competitive waves, but I've never been in one. I've only ever once been able to run the entire thing - the last one before my knees and foot put the kibosh on my distance training. Even if you walk a good bit, it's still a lot of fun.

Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder are the two I've done (as has the Hobbit), and they have similar-looking obstacles, but with a different character. Warrior Dash is designed around solo assault. If you are tall enough and have good strength-to-weight ratio, you can do every obstacle on your own. Tough Mudder is designed to require teamwork on some of the obstacles, and others make it necessary for most (including the moderately fit like myself). The slightly longer version of Tough Mudder (it was 10 miles, but I forget how long it is now - they've changed the distances) also includes some more difficult solo obstacles that rely more on hand/arm strength.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, good luck with that, brother.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are competitive waves, but I've never been in one. I've only ever once been able to run the entire thing - the last one before my knees and foot put the kibosh on my distance training. Even if you walk a good bit, it's still a lot of fun.

Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder are the two I've done (as has the Hobbit), and they have similar-looking obstacles, but with a different character. Warrior Dash is designed around solo assault. If you are tall enough and have good strength-to-weight ratio, you can do every obstacle on your own. Tough Mudder is designed to require teamwork on some of the obstacles, and others make it necessary for most (including the moderately fit like myself). The slightly longer version of Tough Mudder (it was 10 miles, but I forget how long it is now - they've changed the distances) also includes some more difficult solo obstacles that rely more on hand/arm strength.
I hope to try the 1 mile course to see how I do.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why am I getting the impression that at least part of that....was a jab at me :D
Goodness me, whyever would I do a thing like that?
tenor.gif

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Great blog. Very, very interesting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about if your mobility just stinks?
If you mean leg joint mobility (range of motion), there are places where that can make the obstacle more difficult - getting a leg over the top, etc. In many of them, it wouldn't be an issue. If it's arm joint mobility, some of the overhead stuff might be tough to reach. If it's inability to get off the couch, well, they won't bring the mud to your couch. :p

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you mean leg joint mobility (range of motion), there are places where that can make the obstacle more difficult - getting a leg over the top, etc. In many of them, it wouldn't be an issue. If it's arm joint mobility, some of the overhead stuff might be tough to reach. If it's inability to get off the couch, well, they won't bring the mud to your couch. :p

Yeah, but it is much easier to bring mud to the couch, than it is to bring the couch to the mud :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions