Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jokes aside... on the subject of diets. I have several friends who are certified fitness instructors in multiple types of fitness. Due to the nature of their job, they made a point to become familiar with nutrition and how it impacts one's health and works with one's choice of exercise. Basically, after all the studies and all the short- and long-term effect observations, the experts keep coming back to the same thing. There is no magic pill. There is no panacea. There is no one type of food or drink that works equally well for everyone and guarantees good nutrition combined with perfect metabolism and general health. There is no such thing. We are all different.

Yes, there are trends, but, again, it is very important to remember that food-related experiments are often done with excessive amounts of a certain food or ingredient and in short periods of time. Thus, they all should be taken with a grain of salt - pun fully intended.

Vegetarianism and veganism works splendidly well for some people - SOME - while some people can become very ill while on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Some people do fine deriving their proteins from walnuts - some need meat. Some can be perfectly happy on three salads a day - and some can become depressed and want to kill themselves. There is a generally reserved mood with respect to diets that promise too much - chances are, they cannot deliver or the results are short-lived. Diets that advocate excluding an entire food group or including only one food group are also treated cautiously.

The best nutrition-exercise regimens have the same thing in common - moderation. This does not include Antarctica explorers, Mount Everest climbers, athletes training for the Olympics, or anyone else involved in an activity that takes place under extreme conditions or requires extreme physical abilities. This also does not include people with acute illnesses that impact their metabolism and the function of the body's major systems. For most people, most of the time, common sense is key. Don't eat what makes you sick. Don't exercise to a point where you end up in a hospital. Have one donut. Don't have 24 donuts. Have a salad - but not as your only meal for the day. Enjoy life and quit beating yourself up for what you eat and do (as long as those two activities are not associated with anything criminal - thank you, Hannibal Lecter). Gwyneth Paltrow is not a good source of information about nutrition and wellness - go to a qualified professional instead. No, there is no medical procedure at this time that could inlay your skeleton with adamantium.

It is a willpower game.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry... I see English words, but sense they do not make.

Perhaps there's a translation error?
SkkS.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a willpower game.
Barring some less-common medical issues, that's the thing. The advantage of specific diets (including most fad diets) is there's something specific to avoid, rather than counting calories. A lot of folks find that easier in the short run. Building a long-term habit out of that is apparently harder.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Barring some less-common medical issues, that's the thing. The advantage of specific diets (including most fad diets) is there's something specific to avoid, rather than counting calories. A lot of folks find that easier in the short run. Building a long-term habit out of that is apparently harder.
that's the easiest way to keep the diet industry in business, and wreck your health.
if you can't have certain foods, it's human nature to grave them.

We are doing Southbeach at home. It's real food, nothing is off limits, and we can both eat it without killing ourselves.
did I mention, it's actually good!
and you can sustain that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was just going to ask the same thing. I usually don't like jerky - but all I've had to this point was the super-process store-bought stuff. I do believe there is a kind of beef jerky out there for me.
It has been a while but we would make our own when we slaughtered our own beef. Made deer jerky a few times but never did it take 50 days. That is why I asked the question.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's the easiest way to keep the diet industry in business, and wreck your health.
if you can't have certain foods, it's human nature to grave them.

We are doing Southbeach at home. It's real food, nothing is off limits, and we can both eat it without killing ourselves.
did I mention, it's actually good!
and you can sustain that.
That's both true, and not. Yes, it's natural to crave what you've restricted, but for some folks it's just easier to manage. People are different. For some folks, the points strategies of things like Weight Watchers is easier. For some, what works is having pre-built meals. For some, just being conscientious with their portions is sufficient. None of that will work long-term if there's not a habit built.

And limiting one class of food (be it carbs, fats, processed meals, wheat, or whatnot) doesn't keep the diet industry in business - buying their stuff keeps them in business.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's both true, and not. Yes, it's natural to crave what you've restricted, but for some folks it's just easier to manage. People are different. For some folks, the points strategies of things like Weight Watchers is easier. For some, what works is having pre-built meals. For some, just being conscientious with their portions is sufficient. None of that will work long-term if there's not a habit built.

And limiting one class of food (be it carbs, fats, processed meals, wheat, or whatnot) doesn't keep the diet industry in business - buying their stuff keeps them in business.
well, the cravings derail your diet efforts, and some plans are outright unbalanced.
too many folks then regain what they lost, and then some.
And we start the cycle anew.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was just going to ask the same thing. I usually don't like jerky - but all I've had to this point was the super-process store-bought stuff. I do believe there is a kind of beef jerky out there for me.
Jerky is good. Dry aged beef is also good. But they aren't the same thing. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, the cravings derail your diet efforts, and some plans are outright unbalanced.
too many folks then regain what they lost, and then some.
And we start the cycle anew.
The cravings can. There are people who've used most of those diets effectively, because they used them well. Those that can be used long-term (things like cutting out refined wheat, or keeping carbs below a certain level without cutting them out) are fine, so long as they are used to build a habit. Those that are highly restrictive are, for most people, best used to get the weight loss started, then to transition to a workable long-term plan (habit).

The most frequent problems occur when folks either try to maintain something they shouldn't, or fail to build a workable habit around their new plan. And yes, cravings are part of that problem, but cravings are not a guarantee of failure. People with Graves disease (gluten intolerance) still have cravings for wheat foods if they grew up with them, but most manage to get past the craving period. Those cravings do end, and then it's just a food they don't eat (or, in most cases, don't eat often).

The real issue is the promises made by the diet industry: quick loss that stays off, with very little effort. You can actually get the first and third of those, or the first two. Very few people will find it stays off without finding a way to build a new eating habit.

(And, of course, none of that even touches the questions of who really benefits from weight loss, nor medical issues that affect weight gain.)

Status
Not open for further replies.