Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing snow for sun. New address change made all the difference.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
The cravings can. There are people who've used most of those diets effectively, because they used them well. Those that can be used long-term (things like cutting out refined wheat, or keeping carbs below a certain level without cutting them out) are fine, so long as they are used to build a habit. Those that are highly restrictive are, for most people, best used to get the weight loss started, then to transition to a workable long-term plan (habit).

The most frequent problems occur when folks either try to maintain something they shouldn't, or fail to build a workable habit around their new plan. And yes, cravings are part of that problem, but cravings are not a guarantee of failure. People with Graves disease (gluten intolerance) still have cravings for wheat foods if they grew up with them, but most manage to get past the craving period. Those cravings do end, and then it's just a food they don't eat (or, in most cases, don't eat often).

The real issue is the promises made by the diet industry: quick loss that stays off, with very little effort. You can actually get the first and third of those, or the first two. Very few people will find it stays off without finding a way to build a new eating habit.

(And, of course, none of that even touches the questions of who really benefits from weight loss, nor medical issues that affect weight gain.)
My favorite diet is the Paris diet. That's when we are in Paris, eating like absolute horses, but losing weight because we walk like ten miles every day. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Replacing snow for sun. New address change made all the difference.

I imagine it does.
I am not a big fan of heat, but for some reason, one of the most relaxing, short, vacations I have had was a long weekend in Fort Lauderdale last June. in the 90s with humidity in the 90s. For some reason, sitting out there on the balcony, reading a book, watching the boats go by in the channel, in all that heat and humidity, was really relaxing.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I imagine it does.
I am not a big fan of heat, but for some reason, one of the most relaxing, short, vacations I have had was a long weekend in Fort Lauderdale last June. in the 90s with humidity in the 90s. For some reason, sitting out there on the balcony, reading a book, watching the boats go by in the channel, in all that heat and humidity, was really relaxing.
Somehow, the heat is just not my friend. I grew up in the area with vicious winters but even more vicious summers, complete with electrical dust storms (if you've ever seen one of those - you've seen hell) and severe droughts. I also can't stand humidity - it suffocates me. When it's cold, I can always grab another blanket and pull on another sweater. But when it's hot, the farthest I can strip is to my skin - and even then, people frown.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where I have moved to the locals say it does get "hot" . Where I have moved from was fun when I was a kid, tolerable as an adult, disgusting as a senior citizen. Don't get me wrong the four season changes, summer, fall, winter and spring were the best. But, I'm willing to give my new four weather changes a chance.....cool, warm, hot and stifling knowing that in the end I won't have to shovel snow that is measured by the foot. And then there is the driving in it, that is a whole different dimension..... :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Somehow, the heat is just not my friend. I grew up in the area with vicious winters but even more vicious summers, complete with electrical dust storms (if you've ever seen one of those - you've seen hell) and severe droughts. I also can't stand humidity - it suffocates me. When it's cold, I can always grab another blanket and pull on another sweater. But when it's hot, the farthest I can strip is to my skin - and even then, people frown.

A friend of mine grew up in Northern Michigan. Never understood why people had a problem with the cold and snow, he loved it. Whenever he thought about retirement he never even considered a place without snow. Then about 6 years ago (he was in his early 60s) we had an old time winter in the Adirondacks. Every week was a snow storm and every snow storm dropped 1 to 2 feet of snow. When it wasn't snowing we had single digit temperatures with wind-chill in the -20 or more and even a few days where it was -20 without wind-chill. And this snow storm pattern kept up until late March. He said no matter what he did, he just could not get warm. He had been through winters like this before with no issue at all, but now he was cold, sick of snow and wanted nothing more to do with it. He said he finally understood why people moved to warmth when they retired. He retired and moved to South Carolina.

I never minded snow or cold and I despised heat, whether humid or dry. Even thought my wife was crazy when she wanted to go to Fort Lauderdale in June. But we went and I was planning on being miserable with the heat and humidity. But I enjoyed it, and I am considering going back to Florida this June too, although there is nothing set in stone just yet.

Before my friend left he told me my views of winter were exactly like his use to be, and that as I approached 60 my views might change too. Well, I'm approaching 60, and I liked Fort Lauderdale in June... in the 90s...with... humidity in the 90% range....heck, 10 years ago I couldn't stand San Diego in March (of course they were unusually warm and it was 110 one day I was there, but it was in the 90s 2 other days, hated those too, and that was very dry heat). I am still considering retirement in New Hampshire..... but I have to tell you....I am actually getting tired of cold and snow quicker than I use to.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I imagine it does.
This point will come up often in middle TN in mid August. We have the same temps and humidity as cities like Ft. Lauderdale but we do not get the ocean winds. I often say I can handle about any temperature as long as there is at least a little breeze. We did a job in Phoenix, AZ about 8 years ago. Three days in a row the temp was 103 or higher. It felt totally comfortable to me because it was a dry heat and there was always a breeze. I know I am whining but man, our August heat just pressures the crab out of a person. All that said, I will never leave my little town.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I need a drawing software. Any of you guys have a good idea what I should look for?
and probably a tablet/2in1 to go with it....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most I work with use Adobe products but Corel Draw use to be good, have not kept up with it so I am not sure what it is like these days. And there is always Microsoft paint
Never could get the hang of anything produced by Corel.
I mean, I really need a good program, Or maybe somebody who can draw better than me? Paint hadn't been it yet.

I guess I need a tablet with a pen then?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I need a drawing software. Any of you guys have a good idea what I should look for?
and probably a tablet/2in1 to go with it....

Taj_Mahal_drawing_on_an_Etch-A-Sketch.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never could get the hang of anything produced by Corel.
I mean, I really need a good program, Or maybe somebody who can draw better than me? Paint hadn't been it yet.

I guess I need a tablet with a pen then?
What do you need it for? Drafting? Sketching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions