Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flew SAS from NY to Norway. It appeared to be one of the only direct flights. All other flights went to Copenhagen first and then to you destination. Which was rather strange since it went from NY to Copenhagen to Iceland or NY to Copenhagen to England or NY to Copenhagen to Greenland or NY to Copenhagen to Sweden...so, in some cases, you flew past where you wanted to go to fly back to where you wanted to go.
I flew from Atlanta to Dallas one time, to get to Europe. To save a few bucks. (while somebody probably flew from New York to Atlanta to Fly to Europe, to save some money)

But if you fly NY to Iceland, why not use Lux Air?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I flew from Atlanta to Dallas one time, to get to Europe. To save a few bucks. (while somebody probably flew from New York to Atlanta to Fly to Europe, to save some money)

But if you fly NY to Iceland, why not use Lux Air?

My sister-in-law...to save a few bucks.... flew from Beijing, to Hong Kong, to Australia, to Japan, to NY.

My oldest had to be at a conference in Virginia and the conference folks were paying for the ticket. He decided to see what they booked. Going...was NY to Va. Returning was Virginia, to Boston, to Georgia, to NY....and he checked and the ticket was almost 2 times the cost of a direct flight. He called them and got them to change it or he was not going.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My sister-in-law...to save a few bucks.... flew from Beijing, to Hong Kong, to Australia, to Japan, to NY.

My oldest had to be at a conference in Virginia and the conference folks were paying for the ticket. He decided to see what they booked. Going...was NY to Va. Returning was Virginia, to Boston, to Georgia, to NY....and he checked and the ticket was almost 2 times the cost of a direct flight. He called them and got them to change it or he was not going.
and back in the day World Travel was something to aspire to!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice slow day...training my new coworker, who was the person that trained me for my initial job back when I was a lonely intern. It's a really weird situation to me

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup, and that was a 22 hour layover in Boston, to get a flight to Georgia for a 8 hour lay over, to then get a flight to NY...and he would have started in Virginia.
So, basically, by driving, he could outrun the plane to Georgia and then home.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Direct flights are sooooo worth it.
Our next trip is to Cancun, and even though I think United is about the worst airline ever, we're flying with them. Because they're the only direct flight, and the flights with layovers all have silly long layovers. An hour or two at DFW, fine. There's an Irish Pub there that makes the best Bloody Mary in the world. But 8-10 hour layover? Nope. We will grit our teeth and fly United.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our next trip is to Cancun, and even though I think United is about the worst airline ever, we're flying with them. Because they're the only direct flight, and the flights with layovers all have silly long layovers. An hour or two at DFW, fine. There's an Irish Pub there that makes the best Bloody Mary in the world. But 8-10 hour layover? Nope. We will grit our teeth and fly United.
Oh, right UNITED is the crappiest airline ever....
Delta if I can't have Lufthansa....but on my light beer budget....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what it takes to get me to choose United. Unfortunately, one of my clients (who books all my travel for them) seems to be enamored with them.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think major airlines even give you that, unless it's an overseas flight. Heck, dinner is a rare commodity on domestic flights.
American or Northwest business class or higher will feed you if the flight is over 2 hours. Good, not great food. You also get 2 alcoholic drinks and all the soda/tea you want. With Southwest you are lucky to get peanuts. And a beer cost $7.00. If the flight is less than 2 hours I go with whatever is cheapest.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention in my oldest flight back from Virginia...there was a 22 hour layover in Boston..... we live 4 hours from Boston
I flew from Dulles to Kansas City by way of Denver, CO, once. Considered pulling a D.B. Cooper as we passed by...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I flew from Dulles to Kansas City by way of Denver, CO, once. Considered pulling a D.B. Cooper as we passed by...

Yeah. You know you can't actually open the door while the plane is pressurized, right?
I always chuckle when I see reports of people freaking out because some drunk tries to open the door. It's literally impossible.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
American or Northwest business class or higher will feed you if the flight is over 2 hours. Good, not great food. You also get 2 alcoholic drinks and all the soda/tea you want. With Southwest you are lucky to get peanuts. And a beer cost $7.00. If the flight is less than 2 hours I go with whatever is cheapest.
Yeah, the amenities are nicer in business class and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.