Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That series will actually be for one of her former friends from college. She may actually be broke from going to them, plus she managed to get herself a letter specifically requesting that she no longer goes to Broadway shows. I have no idea how you manage that
Wow. That's impressive.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 day's into the new month...Gerry's already got 1&1/2 times the number of posts as the guy in second (@Dirty Dog ), and almost three times the posts of the guy in third (me). None of us will ever beat him out for poster of the month
I've noticed that my rambling has actually increased, now that I have the moderator forums to blabber in, too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Our half-a-newfie is like that, too. He's getting old, but still turns into a puppy when there's any amount of snow.
Our pyranees was funny, too. He digs a whole in the snow and lays in it and doesn't want to come in.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our pyranees was funny, too. He digs a whole in the snow and lays in it and doesn't want to come in.
Gotta love snow dogs. The Goofy Newfie will lay in the snow and watch me when I'm shoveling, making me shovel around him, like he's trying to save one patch of lovely snow from my wrath.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
9 day's into the new month...Gerry's already got 1&1/2 times the number of posts as the guy in second (@Dirty Dog ), and almost three times the posts of the guy in third (me). None of us will ever beat him out for poster of the month
You could try. @gpseymour occasionally gets distracted by woodworking videos, so you could take your opportunity and post-post-post when that happens. ;)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have a neighbor who has pyranees as herd dogs. They do a great job. I have wondered how miserable they must be in our summer temperatures with that thick hair.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a neighbor who has pyranees as herd dogs. They do a great job. I have wondered how miserable they must be in our summer temperatures with that thick hair.
Actually, the air trapped in their coats can and does act as insulation. And the white reflects light and heat. This principle is used in Central Asia to keep cool too - they wear thick quilted robes in pale colors and drink hot tea.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
They do better than newfies or St. Bernards. Our Newfie would lay in a tub of water outside to cool off. And saints are prone to heat stroke. Pyrs blow out their undercoat in the spring and seem to be just fine.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do better than newfies or St. Bernards. Our Newfie would lay in a tub of water outside to cool off. And saints are prone to heat stroke. Pyrs blow out their undercoat in the spring and seem to be just fine.
Our half-a-newfie doesn't seem to do any worse than any other black dog in the Summer, though he's apparently impervious to any low temperatures we get around here (even when well below freezing). He loses his undercoat in the Spring, too (that might be from his other half, which is possibly chow). He does like to lay in a mountain stream, though, if he gets a chance.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Our half-a-newfie doesn't seem to do any worse than any other black dog in the Summer, though he's apparently impervious to any low temperatures we get around here (even when well below freezing). He loses his undercoat in the Spring, too (that might be from his other half, which is possibly chow). He does like to lay in a mountain stream, though, if he gets a chance.
My experience with newfies is they like the water. Mine did, that's for sure.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, the air trapped in their coats can and does act as insulation. And the white reflects light and heat. This principle is used in Central Asia to keep cool too - they wear thick quilted robes in pale colors and drink hot tea.
Not drinking iced drinks in the summer is something common here for people working outside all day in the summer. It seems to work. I have read drinking something very cold when you are very hot is literally like an electrical shock to the body.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking of coffee... went to the Melbourne International Coffee Expo on Saturday, was epic! Soooooo many samples... but strangely I didn't have the horrendous after-effects (ridiculous headache, heart palpitations, nausea, stomach pain) like the other times... if anything I just felt tired from a big day! Even brought a spit cup but didn't even use it haha.

Regardless I still prepared for the coffee overload in the following ways haha:

-tsp of bicarb in my water bottle to help neutralise things (drank lots throughout the day)
-bananas
-coconut water
-brought gaviscon just in case

Got super bad reflux last year so did NOT wanna relive that, was horrendous XD

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with newfies is they like the water. Mine did, that's for sure.
The first time he met water (beyond drinking and baths) was at a public fountain dogs were allowed to walk in. He tried to step on top of the water the entire time. It was adorable. He has since learned better, and does love his water now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions