Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Since I am a vegetarian, kinda sorta...I suppose I should get my vegetarian ire up and all this talk of meat.....no wait.... sorry.... that would be if I was a Vegan.... and I'm not...carry on :D

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would love that. I love a good pot roast. I was introduced to red meat by my wife. We never ate it growing up. And my wife doesn't really cook. So, I've spent the last quarter century trying to figure out how to make good beef. :D

I still remember the first time I tried to make her a steak. It was a top round/London broil. Man, that was inedible.

I'm always looking for tips on how to make it. How do you make your pot roast?
We make it two ways. One way is in the slow cooker, the other way - in the oven.

The slow cooker way is used for BIG shapeless hunks of meat. The last one of those I made, I had to use two ginormous steel forks to turn it over. After thawing the meat, season it however you like, heat up a frying pan with a little bit of oil, and scorch as much of the surface of the meat as you can get to. Then dump the meat into the slow cooker, add stock (I used one cup of home-made duck stock and one cup vegetable broth), whatever else you like (vegetables, herbs, dried mushrooms), cover, set to high, and forget about it for five hours. @gpseymour gave me meat infusers for Chrirstmas - they are little perforated tubes you can open, stuff with your favorite herbs, close, and stick into the hunk of meat. I used thyme and rosemary.

The thinner, smaller roast can be done in the oven. The first few steps are the same - season and singe. Then lay out in a lightly oiled baking dish with veggies of choice. Maybe add a little broth and some wine. Cook at 400 deg F for 40 minutes.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since I am a vegetarian, kinda sorta...I suppose I should get my vegetarian ire up and all this talk of meat.....no wait.... sorry.... that would be if I was a Vegan.... and I'm not...carry on :D
Of COURSE we can talk vegetarian. How about home-made mint jelly? Hard-core - with the meat you grow yourself, and some chili flakes added for a little heat?

Goes GREAT on lamb chops. :p

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Of COURSE we can talk vegetarian. How about home-made mint jelly? Hard-core - with the meat you grow yourself, and some chili flakes added for a little heat?

Goes GREAT on lamb chops. :p

I don't like mint jelly and even when I ate meat I never liked lamb chops....you must try harder to offend me...... go on...I DARE YOU :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mint jelly....I'd rather eat dirt.

Actually, that's an insult to dirt.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We make it two ways. One way is in the slow cooker, the other way - in the oven.

The slow cooker way is used for BIG shapeless hunks of meat. The last one of those I made, I had to use two ginormous steel forks to turn it over. After thawing the meat, season it however you like, heat up a frying pan with a little bit of oil, and scorch as much of the surface of the meat as you can get to. Then dump the meat into the slow cooker, add stock (I used one cup of home-made duck stock and one cup vegetable broth), whatever else you like (vegetables, herbs, dried mushrooms), cover, set to high, and forget about it for five hours. @gpseymour gave me meat infusers for Chrirstmas - they are little perforated tubes you can open, stuff with your favorite herbs, close, and stick into the hunk of meat. I used thyme and rosemary.

The thinner, smaller roast can be done in the oven. The first few steps are the same - season and singe. Then lay out in a lightly oiled baking dish with veggies of choice. Maybe add a little broth and some wine. Cook at 400 deg F for 40 minutes.
Yum. I have a slow cooker but only use it for making soap. I like the idea of a meat infuser... never heard of that before.

I kind of wing it every time. I change what's in it based on what's available, but usually, I use either parsnips or turnips, mushrooms, and carrots (I used turnips and carrots yesterday... no mushrooms). I steal some rosemary from my neighbor (they've got a huge rosemary bush) and some thyme. I don't have those neat infusers, so I just make a little teabag for the herbs with cheesecloth. I also like to use a lot of garlic. I usually just smash it and throw it in, but sometimes, I'll cut slits in the roast and stuff the whole cloves of garlic into the slits.

The one I made yesterday was pretty big... about 6 lbs or so, I think. I have cooked it on the stove top or in the oven... I don't think there's any real difference in the end result, but if it's on the stove top, it makes the house smell really good.

the other thing I've started doing over the last few years is to have mashed potatoes with it instead of cooking them in with the roast. I also like it with sautéed kale or some other green stuff. I sneak that in for my daughter whenever I can.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't like mint jelly and even when I ate meat I never liked lamb chops....you must try harder to offend me...... go on...I DARE YOU :D
Nah, offending you would be a demotion for me. See, I taught myself how to make shishkobab. And according to my Dad, who learned the art of shishkobab-making in Uzbekistan and Georgia, making shishkobab is a strictly male prerogative, never to be attempted by a female. So, by not only attempting it but becoming very good at it, I have automatically insulted all of Earth's male population in one fell swoop. :smuggrin:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yum. I have a slow cooker but only use it for making soap. I like the idea of a meat infuser... never heard of that before.

I kind of wing it every time. I change what's in it based on what's available, but usually, I use either parsnips or turnips, mushrooms, and carrots (I used turnips and carrots yesterday... no mushrooms). I steal some rosemary from my neighbor (they've got a huge rosemary bush) and some thyme. I don't have those neat infusers, so I just make a little teabag for the herbs with cheesecloth. I also like to use a lot of garlic. I usually just smash it and throw it in, but sometimes, I'll cut slits in the roast and stuff the whole cloves of garlic into the slits.

The one I made yesterday was pretty big... about 6 lbs or so, I think. I have cooked it on the stove top or in the oven... I don't think there's any real difference in the end result, but if it's on the stove top, it makes the house smell really good.

the other thing I've started doing over the last few years is to have mashed potatoes with it instead of cooking them in with the roast. I also like it with sautéed kale or some other green stuff. I sneak that in for my daughter whenever I can.
The possibilities are endless if you have a decent cut of meat. And when you make a big pot roast - that's awesome leftovers for a week, including some fab pot roast sandwiches you can make.

I make two things that go really well on a pot roast sandwich - not at the same time though. One is onion jam, and I prefer to heat it up before putting it on a sandwich, although cold works too. The other is what I call super-slaw - it's my personal invention: shredded cabbage, pickled with carrots, apples, garlic, onion, black pepper, bay leaf, and currants or cranberries. That stuff goes REALLY well on a pot roast sandwich or on the side with it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The possibilities are endless if you have a decent cut of meat. And when you make a big pot roast - that's awesome leftovers for a week, including some fab pot roast sandwiches you can make.

I make two things that go really well on a pot roast sandwich - not at the same time though. One is onion jam, and I prefer to heat it up before putting it on a sandwich, although cold works too. The other is what I call super-slaw - it's my personal invention: shredded cabbage, pickled with carrots, apples, garlic, onion, black pepper, bay leaf, and currants or cranberries. That stuff goes REALLY well on a pot roast sandwich or on the side with it.
What is onion jam? I'm intrigued.

I'll bet the slaw is good, too.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah, offending you would be a demotion for me. See, I taught myself how to make shishkobab. And according to my Dad, who learned the art of shishkobab-making in Uzbekistan and Georgia, making shishkobab is a strictly male prerogative, never to be attempted by a female. So, by not only attempting it but becoming very good at it, I have automatically insulted all of Earth's male population in one fell swoop. :smuggrin:
YOU REBEL ROUSER!!!!
BBQ/grilling: Man cook food over fire
It's kind of funny though, and universal it seems:
when cooking over open flame is involved, the men congregate around the flames, the ladies around the side dishes (in the kitchen)
ever noticed that?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

What kind of slow cooker do you use?

For Christmas I bought my wife an Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker. That thing is awesome. Cooks everything to the exact temperature you want without over cooking it or drying it out.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is onion jam? I'm intrigued.

I'll bet the slaw is good, too.
Onion jam is a magical substance that raises burgers and sandwiches to the level of nirvana. :)

My favorite onion to use for this is sweet red Italian onion. A word of caution - it is EXTREMELY juicy. Which means it SPRAYS. It doesn't matter whether you cut it with a super-sharp knife or a mandolin - you will still end up with onion juice in your eyes.

Slice up three big onions - thin but not too thin. Splash a tiny bit of olive oil into a deep pan, heat up, throw in onions and cook, stirring constantly. Once the onions start looking translucent, add three teaspoons of brown sugar or sugar in the raw, two tablespoons of salt, pepper to taste, a healthy splash of lemon juice, and half a cup of red wine vinegar or red wine.

Turn down the heat and continue cooking and stirring. You'll notice that, with salt and sugar in the game, the onions will start juicing like crazy. From that point it's up to you - if you want it nice and sloppy, finish cooking while there is still a lot of juice left. Or cook down until the mixture of onion juice, lemon juice, an red wine vinegar is almost a reduction.

Taste, add salt and pepper if needed, then close up like you would any jam - in clean jars, with a sprinkle of citric acid on top, and heat-seal.

Fantastic on beef Wellington, pot roast, tenderloin, and on burgers - especially on really good bread with great cheese.

I don't remember the super-slaw recipe off the top of my head but I can look it up. Of course, I always tweak it - it comes out different every time. @gpseymour likes the jar-spoon-mouth approach with it. :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
YOU REBEL ROUSER!!!!
BBQ/grilling: Man cook food over fire
It's kind of funny though, and universal it seems:
when cooking over open flame is involved, the men congregate around the flames, the ladies around the side dishes (in the kitchen)
ever noticed that?
It's often true, but I can think of a couple more ... what we could call side dishes that are, apparently, male prerogative to cook in some cultures. One is the real Central Asian rice pilaf (plov). The other is an Uzbek dish my Dad was an expert at - called dimlama. I have yet to attempt those.

I am sorry to say, I do make a better duck than Daddy. And a WAY better borshch. I haven't told him about the duck yet. I am afraid it would break his heart. :) Of course, I owe him like 70% of everything I know about cooking. So I shouldn't be too cocky.

In his travels, Daddy did get to experience something really amazing, both in terms of food and in terms of tradition. When he was in Georgia, he got to participate in a celebration, which went on for like a week and involved the roasting of an entire sheep.

That's where they dug out a huge pit, lined it with leaves and herbs, put a tub of water at the bottom, and then suspended the sheep in the pit above the tub. Then, the pit was covered with leaves, branches, and soil, and a huge fire was made over it. The fire burned for three days in a row. In the pit, the sheep roasted, infused with all the fragrances of leaves and herbs surrounding it, dripping fat into the tub of water, and then water evaporating and re-saturating the sheep. Then the fire was doused, the sheep was dug out, and everyone ATE. And DRANK. And SANG. And DANCED. Good times.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Onion jam is a magical substance that raises burgers and sandwiches to the level of nirvana. :)

My favorite onion to use for this is sweet red Italian onion. A word of caution - it is EXTREMELY juicy. Which means it SPRAYS. It doesn't matter whether you cut it with a super-sharp knife or a mandolin - you will still end up with onion juice in your eyes.

Slice up three big onions - thin but not too thin. Splash a tiny bit of olive oil into a deep pan, heat up, throw in onions and cook, stirring constantly. Once the onions start looking translucent, add three teaspoons of brown sugar or sugar in the raw, two tablespoons of salt, pepper to taste, a healthy splash of lemon juice, and half a cup of red wine vinegar or red wine.

Turn down the heat and continue cooking and stirring. You'll notice that, with salt and sugar in the game, the onions will start juicing like crazy. From that point it's up to you - if you want it nice and sloppy, finish cooking while there is still a lot of juice left. Or cook down until the mixture of onion juice, lemon juice, an red wine vinegar is almost a reduction.

Taste, add salt and pepper if needed, then close up like you would any jam - in clean jars, with a sprinkle of citric acid on top, and heat-seal.

Fantastic on beef Wellington, pot roast, tenderloin, and on burgers - especially on really good bread with great cheese.

I don't remember the super-slaw recipe off the top of my head but I can look it up. Of course, I always tweak it - it comes out different every time. @gpseymour likes the jar-spoon-mouth approach with it. :)
Sounds good.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's often true, but I can think of a couple more ... what we could call side dishes that are, apparently, male prerogative to cook in some cultures. One is the real Central Asian rice pilaf (plov). The other is an Uzbek dish my Dad was an expert at - called dimlama. I have yet to attempt those.

I am sorry to say, I do make a better duck than Daddy. And a WAY better borshch. I haven't told him about the duck yet. I am afraid it would break his heart. :) Of course, I owe him like 70% of everything I know about cooking. So I shouldn't be too cocky.

In his travels, Daddy did get to experience something really amazing, both in terms of food and in terms of tradition. When he was in Georgia, he got to participate in a celebration, which went on for like a week and involved the roasting of an entire sheep.

That's where they dug out a huge pit, lined it with leaves and herbs, put a tub of water at the bottom, and then suspended the sheep in the pit above the tub. Then, the pit was covered with leaves, branches, and soil, and a huge fire was made over it. The fire burned for three days in a row. In the pit, the sheep roasted, infused with all the fragrances of leaves and herbs surrounding it, dripping fat into the tub of water, and then water evaporating and re-saturating the sheep. Then the fire was doused, the sheep was dug out, and everyone ATE. And DRANK. And SANG. And DANCED. Good times.
Have you considered writing a cookbook, including the lovely anecdotes you share here?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Well no, however if you also play the didgeridoo you could also insult the aborigines

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I see a homeless person with a dog I only feel bad for the dog. I hold no animosity nor disdain for the person, I just don't feel anything for them. Sign of Psychopathy?

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you can roast a carrot or potato then...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions