Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I see a homeless person with a dog I only feel bad for the dog. I hold no animosity nor disdain for the person, I just don't feel anything for them. Sign of Psychopathy?

Nah. Just shows you're a good man.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I see a homeless person with a dog I only feel bad for the dog. I hold no animosity nor disdain for the person, I just don't feel anything for them. Sign of Psychopathy?

A lack of emotion is more sociopath than psychopath.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Not so much lack of emotion as it is lack of conscience with a side of extreme antisocial attitudes......but that begs the question what if someone has a lack of conscience about their violent social behavior......

Note: I believe we are both wrong...and right at the same time. Just looked at the DSM-5 view and the share a diagnosis, Antisocial Personality Disorder. and from what I can see the big difference is one is born that way (Psychopath) and the other is made (Sociopath)

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so much lack of emotion as it is lack of conscience with a side of extreme antisocial attitudes......but that begs the question what if someone has a lack of conscience about their violent social behavior......

Note: I believe we are both wrong...and right at the same time. Just looked at the DSM-5 view and the share a diagnosis, Antisocial Personality Disorder. and from what I can see the big difference is one is born that way (Psychopath) and the other is made (Sociopath)

Psych is one area where you're going to be both right and wrong on a frequent basis.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just looked at the DSM-5 view and the share a diagnosis, Antisocial Personality Disorder. and from what I can see the big difference is one is born that way (Psychopath) and the other is made (Sociopath)
can you share a link for that. from what i have read that doesnt sound right. i was under the impression that studies are now leaning more towards brain activity and deficiencies being the major contributor to most behaviors like this including crime.
Not so much lack of emotion
lack of empathy, over aggressiveness, lack of emotional and impulse inhibitors. studies have shown that one of the primary functions of the frontal cortex is inhibition..dont do that... it seems that area is lacking. there is also all kinds of things going on in the Amygdala and Hypothalamus. they also find there is a consistent factor of the thickness of the cortical stem.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
the problem i have with brain studies and behavior is that we are on a path where it can be a court defense.
"my client killed the women Your Honor because he has little cortical stem, perhaps if she didnt laugh at him for it, this wouldnt have happened"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem i have with brain studies and behavior is that we are on a path where it can be a court defense.
"my client killed the women Your Honor because he has little cortical stem, perhaps if she didnt laugh at him for it, this wouldnt have happened"
This is part of the problem with a punishment-oriented justice system. If the sentence is about punishment, then "he's not responsible" is a reasonable defense. If the sentence is about protecting the public and rehabilitating the individual (if possible), then whether the person is responsible for their actions or not isn't much of a consideration.

ADMINS: If this is wandering into what would be considered politics, let me know. I'm a bit hazy as to where that line is on this.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
can you share a link for that. from what i have read that doesnt sound right. i was under the impression that studies are now leaning more towards brain activity and deficiencies being the major contributor to most behaviors like this including crime.

lack of empathy, over aggressiveness, lack of emotional and impulse inhibitors. studies have shown that one of the primary functions of the frontal cortex is inhibition..dont do that... it seems that area is lacking. there is also all kinds of things going on in the Amygdala and Hypothalamus. they also find there is a consistent factor of the thickness of the cortical stem.

Can't link the DSM-5. Understand the DSM-5 is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition: DSM-5

is the product of more than 10 years of effort by hundreds of international experts in all aspects of mental health. Their dedication and hard work have yielded an authoritative volume that defines and classifies mental disorders in order to improve diagnoses, treatment, and research.

And if you have a DSM and you go through it...you WILL find at least one thing, likely more than one, that will make you question your mental health

I can link these

Differences Between a Psychopath vs Sociopath

Antisocial Personality Disorder DSM-5 301.7 (F60.2) - Therapedia

and look here and online quiz - Are you Psychopath Quiz

I took it and well...I'm not one...according to the quiz

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't link the DSM-5. Understand the DSM-5 is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition: DSM-5

And if you have a DSM and you go through it...you WILL find at least one thing, likely more than one, that will make you question your mental health

I can link these

Differences Between a Psychopath vs Sociopath

Antisocial Personality Disorder DSM-5 301.7 (F60.2) - Therapedia

and look here and online quiz - Are you Psychopath Quiz

I took it and well...I'm not one...according to the quiz

yes the signs of being a psychopath is being normal.
good Ted Talk story about that....

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well no, however if you also play the didgeridoo you could also insult the aborigines
I don't know if I could do that. I was born a premie and had exposure to some awful pollution and a bit of radiation - so my lungs never developed to full size. That means any sort of brass or wind instruments are out of my reach. Which is a bummer. I would love to insult more people. :(

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think so. The dog has a lot less choice in the matter but has to suffer as much.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just joking, but I do think it's more common for Psychopaths to lack empathy than sociopaths. Not that sociopaths can't lack it either, just it's more common among Psychopaths.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think so. The dog has a lot less choice in the matter but has to suffer as much.
I think you're right, as far as the why goes. When I first noticed the sympathetic discrepancy I pondered the root of the feeling or lack there of. I feel worse for the dog because it's essentially along for the ride with no choice in the matter. Basically what you said.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're right, as far as the why goes. When I first noticed the sympathetic discrepancy I pondered the root of the feeling or lack there of. I feel worse for the dog because it's essentially along for the ride with no choice in the matter. Basically what you said.
My personal projection of empathy, I also feel worse for the person (than if they didn't have a dog), because I imagine them feeling bad for the dog. It's almost recursive.

Status
Not open for further replies.