Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I see a homeless person with a dog I only feel bad for the dog. I hold no animosity nor disdain for the person, I just don't feel anything for them. Sign of Psychopathy?

You want to see nuts. Check this out.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you're right, as far as the why goes. When I first noticed the sympathetic discrepancy I pondered the root of the feeling or lack there of. I feel worse for the dog because it's essentially along for the ride with no choice in the matter. Basically what you said.
then again, dogs don't care much if the person they are with is their person.
the great indoors, or roughing it outside.
not many dogs can spend the whole day with their person.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had some hail this evening. It came down hard enough for a short time, that it actually looked like it had snowed.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My personal projection of empathy, I also feel worse for the person (than if they didn't have a dog), because I imagine them feeling bad for the dog. It's almost recursive.
I understand, where you're coming from. It's not only that they have to rough it with their owner that bothers me, but more times than not the dogs look malnourished and miserable. It makes me think of my 5 spoiled dogs at home and how much better of a life I could give the homeless dog. That's just me though

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So would I be psychopathic if I had to decide between shocking a dog or a person and without hesitation I shocked the person................twice? ;)

No the scariest part of that video is that you would be normal if you did that.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use a sous vide for steak and chicken sometimes. Works great. It’s a gadget I definitely think is worth the dough.

Marinated and seasoned pork loin does great as well. Also have had good results with beef rump roasts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

BUT....if the guy giving the shocks, or what he thought were shocks, was a decent Martial Artist, I think he would have taken the man in the white coat to a new understanding of compassion. Of course, once he had figured out he had been had - both the aforementioned man in the white coat, and the actor faking the pain, might have been taken to the Psych 101 woodshed. That's when the real experiment would have taken place.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

the Migram experiment is nothing. you couldnt see the person only hear them. after that there was debate about it so another test was done where they actually electrocuted puppies (not to death but painful enough) in a cage with steel wire bottom where the electricity would zap thru the puppies feet. the person would be sitting right in front of the puppy as he yelped and cried....but everyone went to the highest setting. the study was never published due to ethical codes and i can only assume animal cruelty.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
BUT....if the guy giving the shocks, or what he thought were shocks, was a decent Martial Artist, I think he would have taken the man in the white coat to a new understanding of compassion. Of course, once he had figured out he had been had - both the aforementioned man in the white coat, and the actor faking the pain, might have been taken to the Psych 101 woodshed. That's when the real experiment would have taken place.
the Milgram experiment was probably before ethical code of conduct committees were set up so the button pushers probably lived out the rest of their lives thinking they killed a guy.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marinated and seasoned pork loin does great as well. Also have had good results with beef rump roasts.
One of our numerous step-brothers does an AMAZING pork butt barbecue. It's heaven in meat form. Of course, when he gets to roasting, the running joke is that the whole neighborhood can smell Jeff's butt. :mooning:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night's hail. That's not a stream running under our deck - that's our driveway covered in patches of hail. And now... it's snowing. I am getting more and more concerned about the mud run three and a half weeks from now. Do we need to get snow gear?
29468605_1757659010922523_7432875736806981632_n.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
the Milgram experiment was probably before ethical code of conduct committees were set up so the button pushers probably lived out the rest of their lives thinking they killed a guy.

Milgram debriefed the button pushers and let them meet the actor after the test. He also interviewed them a year later to make sure none of the button pushers was experiencing problems from the stress of the test.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night's hail. That's not a stream running under our deck - that's our driveway covered in patches of hail. And now... it's snowing. I am getting more and more concerned about the mud run three and a half weeks from now. Do we need to get snow gear?
29468605_1757659010922523_7432875736806981632_n.jpg
You know, 3 weeks ago, I thought we'd be worried about hydration. Now I'm more concerned with hypothermia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions