Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I recall, states are roughly split between one-party and two-party consent laws.

Correct. The only two party consent states are:

California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

All others are one party consent

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Correct. The only two party consent states are:

California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

All others are one party consent

So glad I am in NY.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
You may wonder, "Is he going to post every one-sentence thought that enters his head?"

And the answer is, YES!!! After all, they tell me this is the place where we can post-whore.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may wonder, "Is he going to post every one-sentence thought that enters his head?"

And the answer is, YES!!! After all, they tell me this is the place where we can post-whore.
And yet, somehow, I retain "Top Post-whore of the Month" honors.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was kind of underwhelmed by that Muay Thai lesson. It was only a half hour, and the guy only went over the basics. He didn't bother to ask me anything about my training or what I was looking to do. Didn't even bother to ask if I had trained in any other previous martial arts. Eventually I had to shoehorn in that I trained in wing chun, and I was looking for something to compliment my game.

Cost: $149/month. Yeah, I don't have that right now.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure I would see if there is more of what I was looking for if I took a month of lessons, but I just cannot swing that price tag.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it legal in ny to record a conversation without their consent? Isn't here.
Public waiting room of a therapist? Probably OK almost anywhere. Very little expectation of privacy. Not wiretapping; you're recording what's visible and audible to anyone in the area.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was kind of underwhelmed by that Muay Thai lesson. It was only a half hour, and the guy only went over the basics. He didn't bother to ask me anything about my training or what I was looking to do. Didn't even bother to ask if I had trained in any other previous martial arts. Eventually I had to shoehorn in that I trained in wing chun, and I was looking for something to compliment my game.

Cost: $149/month. Yeah, I don't have that right now.
I can see how an instructor in a busy program would maybe not get around to asking those questions, especially if they get used to students either not having an answer or always giving the same kind of answers. I pretty much always ask about that, but I have a small program, so I don't get a chance to get used to any one kind of student.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Public waiting room of a therapist? Probably OK almost anywhere. Very little expectation of privacy. Not wiretapping; you're recording what's visible and audible to anyone in the area.

Right. No expectation of privacy. Plus it is not something I did so it could be used in court or anything like that. I did it because I am sick of people (lawyers, law guardian, judge) treating me like I am making this stuff up to cause trouble for my ex. The recording was made to present proof that these two really are as horrible and difficult to deal with as I say they are.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see how an instructor in a busy program would maybe not get around to asking those questions, especially if they get used to students either not having an answer or always giving the same kind of answers. I pretty much always ask about that, but I have a small program, so I don't get a chance to get used to any one kind of student.

Right. Shoot, I had an idea of crowbarring it into the beginning of the lesson myself, but then I decided to let him guide things. If I had it to do again, then I would obviously do it different.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. Shoot, I had an idea of crowbarring it into the beginning of the lesson myself, but then I decided to let him guide things. If I had it to do again, then I would obviously do it different.
I don't think it's necessary the instructor knows it for the first lesson. It might be helpful to know how he might adjust (I tend to adjust a fair amount if I know something about the art someone has experience in), but that's about the extent of it for a first class. Beyond the first class (if you were doing so), it would be helpful for him to know your background, in case he can make use of it or correct for differences from what you're used to.

I took some blended FMA/JJJ (mostly FMA focus) private lessons last year. One of the reasons I didn't keep going was that the instructor wasn't making any use of what I already knew. Given the style was partially based on JJJ, he should have been able to draw on what I already knew and either reinforce or adjust from it, especially in a private lesson. (There was also the issue that he admitted he was still using what he referred to as a beginner's method of power generation in his stickwork, instead of progressing to what "the old guys" used.)

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. No expectation of privacy. Plus it is not something I did so it could be used in court or anything like that. I did it because I am sick of people (lawyers, law guardian, judge) treating me like I am making this stuff up to cause trouble for my ex. The recording was made to present proof that these two really are as horrible and difficult to deal with as I say they are.
If it had been an ILLEGAL recording, intent wouldn't matter. But it wasn't, so at worst, the "penalty " would be exclusion at trial.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If it had been an ILLEGAL recording, intent wouldn't matter. But it wasn't, so at worst, the "penalty " would be exclusion at trial.

Didn't I read that there was a phone involved here? It has been about 15 years since I had to deal with NYS law but I did not think that the "No expectation of privacy" applied to in person talks and not phone. I would check it but I no longer keep my NYS Law books (PL & CPL) up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions