Not open for further replies.
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't I read that there was a phone involved here? It has been about 15 years since I had to deal with NYS law but I did not think that the "No expectation of privacy" applied to in person talks and not phone. I would check it but I no longer keep my NYS Law books (PL & CPL) up to date.
Cell phone used as a recording device

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm feeling like a slacker for skipping my morning workout today but last night's wrassling did a number on me......

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Didn't I read that there was a phone involved here? It has been about 15 years since I had to deal with NYS law but I did not think that the "No expectation of privacy" applied to in person talks and not phone. I would check it but I no longer keep my NYS Law books (PL & CPL) up to date.

The only way the phone was involved was that I was recording the conversation on my phone, which was in my pocket.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm feeling like a slacker for skipping my morning workout today but last night's wrassling did a number on me......

I hear you there. Usually I wake up and do my forms once each, and a couple rounds of shadow boxing, before I leave for work. Just didn't have it in me to do that this morning.

Then again, I usually think that is the MOST opportune time to do it. After all, on the street an attacker wouldn't care if you had insomnia or if you were sick or if you hurt your knee or what have you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Public waiting room of a therapist? Probably OK almost anywhere. Very little expectation of privacy. Not wiretapping; you're recording what's visible and audible to anyone in the area.
It really depends on what definition is being used for "private conversation" and I think it also matters whether the situation is civil or criminal. There are many examples of "private conversations" being conducted in a public setting in the cases I was able to find.

Anyway, I was really just asking a question. The story raised a red flag for me, because of the two party consent required in Washington.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I will start scheduling the posts for my novella on the Writer to Writers website.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what definition is being used for "private conversation" and I think it also matters whether the situation is civil or criminal. There are many examples of "private conversations" being conducted in a public setting in the cases I was able to find.

Anyway, I was really just asking a question. The story raised a red flag for me, because of the two party consent required in Washington.
It was a valid concern, and definitely worth taking into account.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I gotta get moving. Time to go teach. Someone remind me why I decided a Saturday morning class was a good idea?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Going through and categorizing 62 gigs of video from the tournament last week before I can start putting together videos.

Producing the videos are fun.....categorizing all the footage sucks!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, I gotta get moving. Time to go teach. Someone remind me why I decided a Saturday morning class was a good idea?
Saturday is a great day for class! doesn't matter morning, day or evening. its just a good day to grab a partner and make some bruises!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saturday is a great day for class! doesn't matter morning, day or evening. its just a good day to grab a partner and make some bruises!
I'll take your word for that. I liked it better when I was a student than I do as an instructor. There's nobody I can call in to when I am not up to a Saturday AM class.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Met a gentleman interested in wing chun lessons. He said his son and son-in-law are also interested. Bonus: I could teach in the son-in-law's basement. (I guess it was remodeled to be like an extra entertainment area or something, but it never got used for anything.)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then there is an offer on the table to teach out of another school, where they also teach a variety of other styles. It would be only one night a week at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions