Not open for further replies.
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should also add that if you are ever in Virginia and see a license plate that has XUE with 4 numbers after it.... it is not me.

Just got back from Virginia, nice place, and now Mrs Xue is talking about retiring there. But not to worry if you are from Virginia, she talks about that almost every place we go on vacation
What part of Virginia is she looking towards? Until she changes your mind, of course...

(FYI, regular issue tags in VA start with 3 letters, then have 4 numbers. No real rhyme or reason to when they issue which; they send shipments of tags to DMV offices.)

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did not get to West Virginia, but Virginia seems to be a nice place, although the 91F, and humid, day in April was a bit hot for me. But then even when it was 70, it was humid.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did not get to West Virginia, but Virginia seems to be a nice place, although the 91F, and humid, day in April was a bit hot for me. But then even when it was 70, it was humid.
Uh, yeah... about that humidity.

We ain't even had a humid day yet this year. :D You'll love temps approaching 100 degrees with matching humidity.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What part of Virginia is she looking towards? Until she changes your mind, of course...

(FYI, regular issue tags in VA start with 3 letters, then have 4 numbers. No real rhyme or reason to when they issue which; they send shipments of tags to DMV offices.)

Williamsburg area at the moment....but that next bit

Uh, yeah... about that humidity.

We ain't even had a humid day yet this year. :D You'll love temps approaching 100 degrees with matching humidity.

Will likely change her mind

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Williamsburg area at the moment....but that next bit

Will likely change her mind
Virginia's a big state; it can be very different in different parts, but by and large, the coastal region is going to be humid. Southwestern VA isn't as bad, generally.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Virginia's a big state; it can be very different in different parts, but by and large, the coastal region is going to be humid. Southwestern VA isn't as bad, generally.

Retirement is a ways off, not a long ways, but a ways. We have made no decisions yet. She liked Virginia and mentioned retiring there a few times.

And as for the License plate. I saw it in a parking lot of a restaurant I was in. I was surprised to see XUE on a Virginia plate

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Think I've seen a few of them myself... and gotten a quiet personal laugh, like when you glance up and someone has your initials on their tag.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Xue, let me suggest the southwest. The reason being is the dry heat. I was suffering from arthritis before we moved here almost eight years ago. Since moving to Vegas I haven't had one day of arthritis pain. You can't beat this! ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue, let me suggest the southwest. The reason being is the dry heat. I was suffering from arthritis before we moved here almost eight years ago. Since moving to Vegas I haven't had one day of arthritis pain. You can't beat this! ;)

It looks like next year about this time I will be in Vegas.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like SW Virginia. I've worked out that way quite a bit for a client. There's a small town there called Floyd where I spent a lot of time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been to that dry heat. I was in Phoenix, Arizona in July and August a couple of years ago (yeah, good planning on my part). I would get up and run while it was still pitch dark, and it was only 87F.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife was born and grew up in Thailand. She came here ten years ago. We were planning on retirement there. But as I learn that the health care is not the best I am rethinking that idea.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been to that dry heat. I was in Phoenix, Arizona in July and August a couple of years ago (yeah, good planning on my part). I would get up and run while it was still pitch dark, and it was only 87F.
That's cool. I've been in Phoenix when it was in the 90s by 7am. Crazy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. My wife and I talk about where we want to retire, as well. Charlotte, NC is supposed to be nice. I'm thinking somewhere on the Oregon coast would be awesome.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Las Vegas, Arizona, Florida, Hawaii are some great places to retire!

Personally, I am partial to Hawaii but I do not think I can get the missus away from Vegas. To many things to do here, way to many great restaurants, water sports, hiking, skiing, really anything you can want.

My one requirement in retirement is warmth and blue skies. ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will tell you this Buka has the right idea on being on Maui! ;)

It has a lot of pluses, but just as many minuses. You need a bootload of money to live here, or you have to work like crazy. Which is why I'm still working at my age, and will for another ten years should I live that long.

The weather is great, the people are great, the medical field is deplorable. (doctors get paid less than anywhere in the country, so good ones tend not to come here.)

There's a whole lot of people who do martial arts, but you might never find them. Television is strange. No, seriously, really strange. There's all sorts of tropical diseases - which takes us back to the medical field.

If you are ever in a hurry about anything, you're screwed. People have died of natural causes waiting in line at registers. (no, really)

As for the people who move here - it is the land of the misfit toys, so I kind of fit in.

Been coming here since 78, lived here several times, this one being the last.
But I really have no complaints, it's Planet Maui.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions