Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't care where I retire.....I just can't wait until that day gets here....looks like I might be a tad impatient for the next 20 years....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Mrs Xue and myself have never had an issue with winter and I originally wanted to stay in the North East for retirement, but since the arthritis, and as I get older I start to think maybe I should think of warmer places to retire.

Retirement for me is at least 10 years away...I am rather partial to Southern California, don't know what it is about the place but as soon as I get there (and it only happens there) a Bob Marley song starts running in my head. However it is an rather expensive place, especially Newport beach which I rather liked.

But Mrs Xue started looking at everyplace as a retirement possibility a couple years ago, but she talked more about Virginia. It is likely I will hear a lot about Las Vegas next year after vacation too.

Problem is I am not a big fan of heat, especially real hot and humid type heat like you can get in Virginia. But then the 100 I got in San Diego was scary. I knew it was hot but not sweating because it was a real dry heat so I had to make sure everyone kept hydrated.

But the 116 I had very little exposure to in Vegas was just to much.

But I will admit the whole blue sky thing is really sounding good

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The dry heat is great and after about a week or two you get used to it. I actually like 90 to 110. That is perfect pool weather which is advisable to have here in Vegas. If you want some thing even more special shoot me a pm and I will tell you were everyone should live in retirement here in Vegas but I am not giving that info out to everyone! ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. My wife and I talk about where we want to retire, as well. Charlotte, NC is supposed to be nice. I'm thinking somewhere on the Oregon coast would be awesome.
It depends what you want in your retirement. Within 2 hours in NC you have Charlotte, with all the conveniences and attractions of a moderately large city, and Asheville, with more local charm, artsy feel, and outdoors stuff.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mrs Xue and myself have never had an issue with winter and I originally wanted to stay in the North East for retirement, but since the arthritis, and as I get older I start to think maybe I should think of warmer places to retire.

Retirement for me is at least 10 years away...I am rather partial to Southern California, don't know what it is about the place but as soon as I get there (and it only happens there) a Bob Marley song starts running in my head. However it is an rather expensive place, especially Newport beach which I rather liked.

But Mrs Xue started looking at everyplace as a retirement possibility a couple years ago, but she talked more about Virginia. It is likely I will hear a lot about Las Vegas next year after vacation too.

Problem is I am not a big fan of heat, especially real hot and humid type heat like you can get in Virginia. But then the 100 I got in San Diego was scary. I knew it was hot but not sweating because it was a real dry heat so I had to make sure everyone kept hydrated.

But the 116 I had very little exposure to in Vegas was just to much.

But I will admit the whole blue sky thing is really sounding good
In Virginia, IMO, the mountains are more hospitable. I grew up in the South, so I'm used to the humidity, but I still don't like it. The mountains will be a few degrees cooler, and often 10 percentage points lower humidity.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It depends what you want in your retirement. Within 2 hours in NC you have Charlotte, with all the conveniences and attractions of a moderately large city, and Asheville, with more local charm, artsy feel, and outdoors stuff.
Asheville sounds more like it. I grew up in Seattle, and my kids live in the city. But I'm done with it. Too trendy, crowded and expensive.

I don't care about outdoorsy stuff, but artsy is good. I'm more about a walkable area with good food, a house with character and stuff to do.

Anyone familiar with the Seattle area, I'm thinking like Issaquah in 1985. Lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T
Asheville sounds more like it. I grew up in Seattle, and my kids live in the city. But I'm done with it. Too trendy, crowded and expensive.

I don't care about outdoorsy stuff, but artsy is good. I'm more about a walkable area with good food, a house with character and stuff to do.

Anyone familiar with the Seattle area, I'm thinking like Issaquah in 1985. Lol.

Charlotte isn't bad, even by those standards. But the downtown ("uptown") area is small and a bit too business-centered for retirement, IMO. Asheville has a lot of micro-breweries (one of the "Beer City USA" cities), and lots of nice little non-chain restaurants. An interesting mix of people - dirt farmers (families have been around for a long time), retirees (many from the Northeast), and artsy folks.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's a few places I could live. Sequim Washington and Boise Idaho are right at the top of that list.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where I live now is where I will retire. House on a small quiet lake way out in the country.

11 more years and I can kick back and enjoy it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where I live now is where I will retire. House on a small quiet lake way out in the country.

11 more years and I can kick back and enjoy it.
I'm pretty close to that point, too, CB. I really like the area. If there was a way to add one room to the house, I'd probably stay here forever. As it is, we are expecting one more move, so we won't move until we find someplace that looks like a forever home.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm pretty close to that point, too, CB. I really like the area. If there was a way to add one room to the house, I'd probably stay here forever. As it is, we are expecting one more move, so we won't move until we find someplace that looks like a forever home.
I don't like even the idea of a forever home. Yikes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like even the idea of a forever home. Yikes.
Different strokes, my friend. I know a guy who sold his home and became an itinerant martial arts instructor. He was happy as could be. Me? I want a home to come home to, a place where I know all the stuff around me, and a favorite tree to sit under, one I've watched grow.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care where I retire.....I just can't wait until that day gets here....looks like I might be a tad impatient for the next 20 years....
Once upon a time, I was on track to retire by 40. Then 2001 happened, then a couple of failed businesses along the way. Now, I'm back to working toward retirement like anyone else.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I was on track to retire by 40. Then 2001 happened, then a couple of failed businesses along the way. Now, I'm back to working toward retirement like anyone else.
My goal is to retire at 57. My wife will be 55 and our youngest will hopefully be in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions