Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will probably work up to a moment before they slam the lid shut on me....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife and our plans are her at 51 and I some time not to much later for me if it all works out. Of course I will always keep teaching as that is what keeps me going.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It depends what you want in your retirement. Within 2 hours in NC you have Charlotte, with all the conveniences and attractions of a moderately large city, and Asheville, with more local charm, artsy feel, and outdoors stuff.
Any particular neighborhood or part of Asheville?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well My youngest is pretty bummed out.

Surgeon told him....3 weeks before he can resume Sports and Karate. He will miss the last 3 tournaments of the points year.

And he will also miss 5 games of baseball.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What kind of puppies are we talking about?

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score

Don't know about neighborhoods but Asheville is one of my favorite cities. Sooo many good breweries....... Downside: expensive. Depending on ones feelings about such things, some might have issues with the artsy, hippie, alternative crowd that is a big part of Asheville.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will probably work up to a moment before they slam the lid shut on me....
I expect I'll work during "retirement". Probably open a MA school, rather than the part-time program I have now. Would love to help develop a next generation of instructors.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends what you like. I like small, so I prefer it near Hendersonville (25 minutes south of Asheville, but considered part of the "area" here). You might prefer West Asheville (part of the city, but known that way around here). It has nice coffee shops and restaurants and easy access to downtown. More within walking access there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That depends what you like. I like small, so I prefer it near Hendersonville (25 minutes south of Asheville, but considered part of the "area" here). You might prefer West Asheville (part of the city, but known that way around here). It has nice coffee shops and restaurants and easy access to downtown. More within walking access there.
That actually looks great. Did a quick search and it appears that there are quite a number of small, craftsman style bungalows, which my wife and I really like. The prices don't seem too bad, either, but that may be because they are so inflated in the Seattle area. $325k for a 1300 sq. ft. bungalow in a walkable neighborhood is pretty good.

We'll have to plan a trip out that way some time to scope it out.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve, if you are looking over the way do not rule out Hilton Head Island. It is absolutely beautiful with wonderful beaches and great golfing, restaurants, etc.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Steve, if you are looking over the way do not rule out Hilton Head Island. It is absolutely beautiful with wonderful beaches and great golfing, restaurants, etc.

I spent many a day on Hilton Head and Daufuskie Islands. Fun places. I don't know what it is with me and islands. Especially since I can't swim.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We used to vacation every year to Hilton Head. Many a good time was had between the beautiful beaches, pools and restaurants! Love Hilton Head!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I spent many a day on Hilton Head and Daufuskie Islands. Fun places. I don't know what it is with me and islands. Especially since I can't swim.

If we were intended to swim...we would have been given gills and webbed toes and fingers. :D

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score

Can I move into your basement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions