Kyusho Jitsu

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've been to two DKI events in Indianapolis within the past 5 years, maybe 3 and 4 years ago (not sure). That does look like him in the picture but it's hard to be sure. I think I also saw Mr. Frazer at a Filipino martial arts seminar in Terre Haute nearly 5 years ago. Youngish-looking guy, big smile, outgoing?

Is he a Grandmaster of Ryukyu Kempo, then? I don't know much about the "great Split" I'm afraid.
No George, Wally, and Leo have been behind him in creating Jodoryu Jujitsu so that is what he is a GM of

PPKO

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Mr. Higginbotham's site still shows him as part of DKI (and I believe he's also associated with Wally Jay's SCJJ)...can someone post more about who split from whom?
Mr. Higginbotham is still with DKI some other members formed Kyusho International headed by Evan Pantazi they split from DKI about 6 mos ago

PPKO

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ppko said:
No George, Wally, and Leo have been behind him in creating Jodoryu Jujitsu so that is what he is a GM of
Ah, I see. Looking on the web, it says that the new system is described as "Disharmonic Emotion Theory" in English. Does this mean it is based on something other than pressure points--namely, emotions?

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Ah, I see. Looking on the web, it says that the new system is described as "Disharmonic Emotion Theory" in English. Does this mean it is based on something other than pressure points--namely, emotions?
Yes, it is based on what emotions beat the other emotions

PPKO

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Is it true that Oyata Sensei is currently in Missouri?

Also...isn't there another very high level sensei of a different system in Lansing as well? Sorry to ask off topic questions...

:asian:
My name is Vince Hardy. I study a Chinese system of martial arts in Omaha, Nebraska. Sensei Oyata does reside in Missouri. I would venture to say that he is one of the top instructors in the world. The ol' man's skill is amazing. My brother studied under one of Oyata's top students back in the Philadelphia area. My instructor (Sifu Pete Starr) and Oyata are very good friends.

I can try to find out more info on Oyata if anyone would like. Have a good one.

Vince

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure why there was a split. I do believe it had something to do with Evan Pantazi being kick out of DKI. There were many who left DKI. The ones who did are as followed.
Evan Pantazi
Jim Corn
Mark Kline
Gary Rooks
Gary Boaz
Evin Hunt
James Greenwood
Jody Marksberry
Jay Kline

Most of the instructors in KI came from DKI. The one's listed above are exmembers from DKI, that I know.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I know Evan Pantazi has been getting much publicity lately in Budo Intl. magazine.

I've met a few of those people, but don't know any of them well.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
OK, thanks. I know Evan Pantazi has been getting much publicity lately in Budo Intl. magazine.

I've met a few of those people, but don't know any of them well.

Wow! Evan Pantazi has been kicked out of DKI?

Thank Goodness! I've met him several times, been to his school, and the school where I teach has hosted him for a seminar. He is a very talented martial artist who has demonstrated some really intriguing bunkai for kata. He's also a very pleasant guy.

I was getting worried the last time I saw him however, as he seemed to be ...overly influenced by George Dillman. I'm glad his association with Dillman is no more.

He still hasn't knocked me out though, and he's had a couple tries.

Matt :uhyeah:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I've never been knocked out either...I'm 'resistant', evidently.

I gathered he left voluntarily--not that he was kicked out?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yes, I've never been knocked out either...

Me niether, not by Pressure point knockout stuff, anyways. Now...I've been knocked out in the ring before. And I am sure that if Stand there and let someone slam on my arteries in my neck for awhile, that I'll go out. But for the most part, I'm resistant too.

:asian:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back in 1991 or 1992 I was working with some junior students on what we term "spotting." After class it occurred to me that I'd never once in my life been knocked unconscious, and I wanted to know what it was like.

So, when Sifu wandered back into the training hall a little while later, I asked him to KO me. At first he flatly refused, not because he was afraid but because he felt it was an unnecessary risk. I pressed the issue more, and he finally, reluctantly, agreed.

Admittedly, he did it while I was standing still. He stood next to me and lightly tapped me on the opposite side of my neck... Everything went brilliantly white, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor looking at the pretty ceiling and wondering where the tank was that had recently driven through my head...

Many years later I had the chance to train with other people in other places... I have been struck "on kyusho points," and simply "hit in that big vital point named 'Matt'," and been sent very close to the brink of KO yet again...

It works at full speed, but apparently not the way DKI does it.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
Admittedly, he did it while I was standing still. He stood next to me and lightly tapped me on the opposite side of my neck... Everything went brilliantly white, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor looking at the pretty ceiling and wondering where the tank was that had recently driven through my head...

QUOTE]

This is fascinating. I have no exposure to this phenomenon.

So how did this work? What is the science behind it?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, some smarmy little idgit decided to do the playground thing again and ding me where it really hurts... in my "reputation points."

Ow. Oh, please, stop the pain... :rolleyes:

Two things -

1) If you are going to take the time to give me "negative reputation points" and toss in a comment about being KO'd being "magic," get a grip you tool. Have the stones to say something in public that we can all discuss. Either that or shut your e-pie hole.

2) I'm not sure where I stand on the entire subject of "kyusho" in the first place. The great majority of the several hundred points that are used as striking points are superimposed on underlying anatomical structures that would lend themselves well to contributing to a number of effects when struck. I can't say that "striking GB 15, L 12 and TH 934" and other "color by numbers" pseudo-acupuncture silliness is any more effective than telling someone to strike the carotid sinus in a slightly descending angle...

What I know is that when hit in X manner, Y result occurs. If you dispute that, come see me and I'll explain myself further.

And getting KO'd hurts like hell. You get quite the dandy headache when you come 'round. I've talked to others who have been KO'd through similar and dissimilar means, and they have pretty universally complained of the same after effects...

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
Well, some smarmy little idgit decided to do the playground thing again and ding me where it really hurts... in my "reputation points."

Ow. Oh, please, stop the pain... :rolleyes:

Two things -

1) If you are going to take the time to give me "negative reputation points" and toss in a comment about being KO'd being "magic," get a grip you tool. Have the stones to say something in public that we can all discuss. Either that or shut your e-pie hole.
These points caused more harm than good on e-budo at one point. Seems some folks just want to go around and jack with your rep. points but dont have the "roundies" to say anything......I have more than a good idea who banged my points down once........
Ill write more later about the kyusho stuff........

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
Back in 1991 or 1992 I was working with some junior students on what we term "spotting." After class it occurred to me that I'd never once in my life been knocked unconscious, and I wanted to know what it was like.

So, when Sifu wandered back into the training hall a little while later, I asked him to KO me. At first he flatly refused, not because he was afraid but because he felt it was an unnecessary risk. I pressed the issue more, and he finally, reluctantly, agreed.

Many years later I had the chance to train with other people in other places... I have been struck "on kyusho points," and simply "hit in that big vital point named 'Matt'," and been sent very close to the brink of KO yet again...

It works at full speed, but apparently not the way DKI does it.
Matt,

With all due respect my friend you are a freak:wink1: .....in a good way that is.......I don't meet too many people that ask to be pounded on just to see what happens. I remember when you came to my dojo in Kamakura and left with a bunch of black, blue and eventually yellow marks.....you're a sick puppy:ultracool

Anyway, ......folks the "love tap" to the side of the neck that DKI and other so called Kyusho people call a "kyusho point" in fact is NOT a kyusho point at all.......and here is why. Kyusho jutsu uses areas...rather large ones I might add.
Accupuncture points are small.....the largest is about the size of a No2 pencil eraser. Not easy to hit with a fist about the size of a baseball or larger. Also, there must half a dozen Accupuncture points in the general area where one's hand strikes the neck to induce the previously mentioned KO. These accupuncture points include, but are not llimited to the following: LI 18, LI17, SI 16 & 17, SJ 16&17, ST 9, ....my fist is pretty average size for a western male and if I try to KO someone doing the "neck whack" I hit about 4 to 5 of the mentioned accupuncture points each time I strike.......and not always the same ones depending on my angle of attack.....the KO is ACTUALLY caused by the attackers brain slaping around in his skull just as if he was hit on the chin. However, this doesn't sound exotic or mystical as saying "well I use a combination of LI18 and ST9 to KO people"....it just does'nt pull in the potenial "customers" if you say "I gave him a good swat and his brain got bruised".
I dont ever recall my teacher calling this a Kyusho strike per say but rather an Atemi strike which is different.
It was people like Dillman that didnt stick around long enough or train hard enough to learn what was really happening and just thought it was a kyusho strike and thereby perpetuated the wrong name for that technique....once again misleading the MA population. Too bad Dillman wanted to be a "master" before ever becoming a "true" student (but that has been the way of many people in the MA) Which would explain why Dillman cant KO people that are standing stone still sometimes.....believe me nobody is imune to getting KOed if its done properly....now we have a lot of folks spreading the same BS that Dillman did.....and I see now it has gone on to "Yoda-esque" sort of nonsense with Kia Jutsu, No-touch KOs (I am begging someone to try that on me telling me its a viable self-defense technique) and what not........it gets goofier by the minute. I dont know how it can getting any dumber but I am sure it will.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I once read in a book titled "Black Medicine", that there is an artery or vein that runs up the right side of the neck wherein a very unique thing happens. When it is impacted, some type of hormone or other biological chemical is released which shuts down your brain for a second. According to the book, this is supposed to be a natural body defense against getting brain damage should the blood flow to your brain be interrupted. I guess that would make it an artery. This book was the only place that I had ever read it, and I've never tested the theory, but at any rate, this is the only "quick" knockout kind of thing that I've ever heard of. The book is at home, and I'm at work, but I'll reference that and get back tonight.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
I once read in a book titled "Black Medicine", that there is an artery or vein that runs up the right side of the neck wherein a very unique thing happens. When it is impacted, some type of hormone or other biological chemical is released which shuts down your brain for a second. According to the book, this is supposed to be a natural body defense against getting brain damage should the blood flow to your brain be interrupted. I guess that would make it an artery. This book was the only place that I had ever read it, and I've never tested the theory, but at any rate, this is the only "quick" knockout kind of thing that I've ever heard of. The book is at home, and I'm at work, but I'll reference that and get back tonight.

You're thinking of the blood pressure receptor in the neck. I beleive it's called a baroreceptor. If stuck it beleives that the blood pressure is too high high and lowers the pressure. This causes an abnormally low blood pressure (it was never really high in the first place) which can cause unconsiousness.

At least, this is as I understand it.

Stephen Kovalcik

Latest Discussions