veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
Because in a fight you may not have a choice, and in a fight pain/ damage to your opponent is commonly the goal,

You may only have 30 seconds to go before someone breaks it up and in that time you want to cause the maximum damage/ pain that is possible.

If your fighting multiple opponents you have only a few seconds, 3/4/5 maybe, to dispatch an opponent, before his friends join in, you need to hurt / damage him as much as possible in that time, messing about putting him an arm bar will only get you hurt. If all you can do is slash him up with a ring then that's all you can do, at the vet least he is in hospital with you gettibg,stitched up, which will make you feel better

At the simplest level of I was in a mount, if rather hit the guy with an elbows to get him off, than just get him off, noR are escape from mounts always possible, no matter what technique you use, so just hurt him if you can, it's really the best idea not to go to ground and if you do, do not end up on the bottom, no matter what you do, your going to end up taking some heavy punches if the guy mounts you, escaping when you've been punch unconscious may be difficult

You keep changing the context.
Of course an arm bar isn't suitable in all situations.

The rings are gimmick's.

If the guys mounted you how are you going to elbows him? You posture up to strike in top mount.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You keep changing the context.
Of course an arm bar isn't suitable in all situations.

The rings are gimmick's.

If the guys mounted you how are you going to elbows him? You posture up to strike in top mount.
No he context is self defence, it's you that keeps diverting to dojo mode, getting out of a mount as class, with an opponent of similar weight is one thing, do the same if he is substantially heavier than you AND is punching your lights out, is another matteR
If the ring does damage it's not a gimmick,

How to elbow ?, as shown in that Vid you posted, have you not watched it ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you claiming its accepted usage, common usage, accepted usage in this forum or common usage on this forum

Just to remind you, it was people telling me I was wrong, Not the other way round,
I'm not sure there's any reason to continue that line of discussion, Jobo.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your working definition of a pain compliance technique, is that pain is not required,,, this is getting more bizare,

Is compliance required or is this just randomly picking words out of a hat
And now you're purposely reading things counter to their meaning. Do you actually have a point to make, or just feel like diverting discussion from anything useful?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because in a fight you may not have a choice, and in a fight pain/ damage to your opponent is commonly the goal,

You may only have 30 seconds to go before someone breaks it up and in that time you want to cause the maximum damage/ pain that is possible.

If your fighting multiple opponents you have only a few seconds, 3/4/5 maybe, to dispatch an opponent, before his friends join in, you need to hurt / damage him as much as possible in that time, messing about putting him an arm bar will only get you hurt. If all you can do is slash him up with a ring then that's all you can do, at the vet least he is in hospital with you gettibg,stitched up, which will make you feel better

At the simplest level of I was in a mount, if rather hit the guy with an elbows to get him off, than just get him off, noR are escape from mounts always possible, no matter what technique you use, so just hurt him if you can, it's really the best idea not to go to ground and if you do, do not end up on the bottom, no matter what you do, your going to end up taking some heavy punches if the guy mounts you, escaping when you've been punch unconscious may be difficult
Your statement repeatedly confounds pain and damage. One is useful in every point you mention. The other is unreliable in every point you mention.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And now you're purposely reading things counter to their meaning. Do you actually have a point to make, or just feel like diverting discussion from anything useful?
That's where dictionaries come in handy and people randomly making up their own definition leads to confusion

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
No he context is self defence, it's you that keeps diverting to dojo mode, getting out of a mount as class, with an opponent of similar weight is one thing, do the same if he is substantially heavier than you AND is punching your lights out, is another matteR

Not every fight is against multiple opponents
He never shows it against a postured opponent, the only way you

Weight and punching doesn't change the escape.

Cover
Bridge to force them to post
Capture an arm
Trap the leg
bridge that side
Stand up

You realise the posture in the video is a bjj posture?

How do you perform this against your criteria?
A postured opponent that is striking
You can't use that head control without breaking posture.
Why is a random Street attacker using a bjj posture and bicep control?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your statement repeatedly confounds pain and damage. One is useful in every point you mention. The other is unreliable in every point you mention.
They are much the same that's how the body works, the more damage the more pain, except for a very few very sensitive areas

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's any reason to continue that line of discussion, Jobo.
There certainly is, you've made a statement oR two and keep changing both the words and the meaning of those words, I think you clarifying your pOint is well worth while, if only to wAtch you torture the English language some more

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not every fight is against multiple opponents
He never shows it against a postured opponent, the only way you

Weight and punching doesn't change the escape.

Cover
Bridge to force them to post
Capture an arm
Trap the leg
bridge that side
Stand up

You realise the posture in the video is a bjj posture?

How do you perform this against your criteria?
A postured opponent that is striking
You can't use that head control without breaking posture.
Why is a random Street attacker using a bjj posture and bicep control?
I don't under stand most of that, so Lets go with the only bIt that made sense, of course weight and punches change the likelihood of your escape working,

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
Another question you've dodged

Why is Rubens pain response so slow? Is it because hes acting?
I've trained with those rings and I've trained with Andy.
They are gimmicks.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another question you've dodged

Why is Rubens pain response so slow? Is it because hes acting?
I've trained with those rings and I've trained with Andy.
They are gimmicks.
Of course he is demonstrAting, Andy isn't really hitting him hard with his elbow or he would be on the way to hospital with a depressed cheek bone, do you want him to have facial reconstruction surgery to add authenticity

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't under stand most of that, so Lets go with the only bIt that made sense, of course weight and punches change the likelihood of your escape working,

They can't hit you if both of their hands are posted meaning in the ground, you use a bridge , bucking your hips up, you can also use a one legged bridge with a knee to make them do that, you trap one of them and trap the same side foot.
You bridge to one side.
Posture up
Stand

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
Of course he is demonstrAting, Andy isn't really hitting him hard with his elbow or he would be on the way to hospital with a depressed cheek bone, do you want him to have facial reconstruction surgery to add authenticity
You've clearly never trained with Andy Norman.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mean the elbows you won't get if the person isn't being compliant?
They don't need to be compliant they only have to come into range,, you could make the same point for any striking technique if they stay out of range it's useless

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's where dictionaries come in handy and people randomly making up their own definition leads to confusion
You seem to have missed my earlier comment that dictionaries are repositories, not rule books. Dictionaries follow general usage, not the other way around - and dictionaries often lack jargon usage.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are much the same that's how the body works, the more damage the more pain, except for a very few very sensitive areas
Not all that consistently, but it's a reasonable general rule when you're talking about damage. However, that leaves out all the ways pain can be applied without doing much or any damage. And that's what pain compliance techniques rely upon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There certainly is, you've made a statement oR two and keep changing both the words and the meaning of those words, I think you clarifying your pOint is well worth while, if only to wAtch you torture the English language some more
Nice try, but nope.

Latest Discussions