jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not all that consistently, but it's a reasonable general rule when you're talking about damage. However, that leaves out all the ways pain can be applied without doing much or any damage. And that's what pain compliance techniques rely upon.
You can't cause pain with outdamage, it being the bOddies response to damage And all

Give me a list of pain causing things that cause NO damage or is this another invented definition of no damage that doesn't include things sustaining damage or feeling pain

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You seem to have missed my earlier comment that dictionaries are repositories, not rule books. Dictionaries follow general usage, not the other way around - and dictionaries often lack jargon usage.
No thEy arE rules books for clear communication if you wish to communicate clearly you use the dictionary definition, if you want to bamboozle and then refuse to back up your made up on the Spot definitions then you dont.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can't cause pain with outdamage, it being the bOddies response to damage And all

Give me a list of pain causing things that cause NO damage at all, or is this another invented definition of no damage that doesn't include things sustaining damage or feeling pain

The primary purpose of pain is to stop or restrict damage.

The idea is if it hurts, you stop doing it before it causes damage.

If it has already caused damage, the pain stops you doing more damage and reminds you not to do it again.

This is from an evolutionary standpoint - MA pain compliance simply takes advantage of the inbuilt systems we all have.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The primary purpose of pain is to stop or restrict damage.

The idea is if it hurts, you stop doing it before it causes damage.

If it has already caused damage, the pain stops you doing more damage and reminds you not to do it again.

This is from an evolutionary standpoint - MA pain compliance simply takes advantage of the inbuilt systems we all have.
Ok same question let's have a list of Techniques that cause pAIn with out any damage

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Give me a list of pain causing things that cause NO damage or is this another invented definition of no damage that doesn't include things sustaining damage or feeling pain
I did actually say "little or no" damage. It's arguable whether there's any actual damage when I reach in and activate the nerve pressure point behind the clavicle or under the ear. Probably there's some minuscule bruising, but not that I've ever been able to detect even an hour or two later, except in extreme cases where there was actual, visible skin bruising.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No thEy arE rules books for clear communication if you wish to communicate clearly you use the dictionary definition, if you want to bamboozle and then refuse to back up your made up on the Spot definitions then you dont.
Nope. Dictionaries change to follow general usage. Pick up two dictionaries published 10 years apart by the same publisher, and you'll see this in evidence.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did actually say "little or no" damage. It's arguable whether there's any actual damage when I reach in and activate the nerve pressure point behind the clavicle or under the ear. Probably there's some minuscule bruising, but not that I've ever been able to detect even an hour or two later, except in extreme cases where there was actual, visible skin bruising.
So are you changing you claim that you can cause pain with out damage ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are you changing you claim that you can cause pain with out damage ?
I don't recall ever making that claim - try again. As I said, though, it's arguable whether there's any damage with some pain techniques - certainly none of significance, and not enough for the damage to be a factor in a fight.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. Dictionaries change to follow general usage. Pick up two dictionaries published 10 years apart by the same publisher, and you'll see this in evidence.
There may be a couple of hundred new words Or definitions in a dictionary of half a million Words. Over a decade, but if you throw away all the dictionaries then all communication other than pointing will be gone in a decade,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't recall ever making that claim - try again. As I said, though, it's arguable whether there's any damage with some pain techniques - certainly none of significance, and not enough for the damage to be a factor in a fight.
You Cleary said "no damage " now your trying to add the word significant to a phrase that didn't previously contain significant. Are you also using you own definition of significant ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There may be a couple of hundred new words Or definitions in a dictionary of half a million Words. Over a decade, but if you throw away all the dictionaries then all communication other than pointing will be gone in a decade,
Dictionaries are useful because they help us look up what the current common usage is (plus spelling and other assorted bits that help). Usage changes constantly. Sometimes words even end up reversing their meanings over time. Because not all words change at once, we all manage to communicate fairly well, in spite of the fact that most of us don't need to pick up a dictionary more than a few times a year.

Your inability to accept that language is what people make it, rather than a limitation placed upon people, baffles me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You Cleary said "no damage " now your trying to add the word significant to a phrase that didn't previously contain significant. Are you also using you own definition of significant ?
Show me where I said that. As for "significant', I'd use whatever measurement of that the recipient cared to use, as "significant" is a relative term whose definition need not be changed to be variable.

But you're trying really hard to make this a language issue. It's not, and you know it's not. When you come up with a new point to make that adds to the value of this thread, I'll respond. Otherwise, I'll get back to the discussion at hand.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you get them in range of the elbows?

I thought no Scientific evidence was better than bjj?
No I said thereS no evidence that bJj is b better than no trAining, a thing that seems to hold true as no Scientific evIdence has been forth comming

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok same question let's have a list of Techniques that cause pAIn with out any damage

Any technique that you can apply in manner so controlled as to be stopped at any point.

I bend your fingers back - it'll hurt way before any damage is caused.

I put pressure on your elbow in the wrong direction - it'll hurt way before any damage is caused.

I grab your ear - it'll hurt way before I can start making a necklace.

If you're saying that you, personally, can't inflict pain without causing damage, then you lack control.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any technique that you can apply in manner so controlled as to be stopped at any point.

I bend your fingers back - it'll hurt way before any damage is caused.

I put pressure on your elbow in the wrong direction - it'll hurt way before any damage is caused.

I grab your ear - it'll hurt way before I can start making a necklace.

If you're saying that you, personally, can't inflict pain without causing damage, then you lack control.
I'll add all nerve pressure points to that list, when applied with any control.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll add all nerve pressure points to that list, when applied with any control.

My list was never meant to be exhaustive, more a tiny selection of examples.

There are more ways to cause pain without causing damage than I'll ever know...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dictionaries are useful because they help us look up what the current common usage is (plus spelling and other assorted bits that help). Usage changes constantly. Sometimes words even end up reversing their meanings over time. Because not all words change at once, we all manage to communicate fairly well, in spite of the fact that most of us don't need to pick up a dictionary more than a few times a year.

Your inability to accept that language is what people make it, rather than a limitation placed upon people, baffles me.
, well you clearly dont, you just make things up

Latest Discussions