• American Kenpo

• Tracy Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo (Castro)

• Shaolin Kempo (Vilarri)

• Kajukenbo

• Cerio Kenpo

• Kosho Ryu (Mitose)

• Kara Ho (Chow)

• Traditional Okinawan/Japanese (Ryukyu, Shorinji, etc)

• Other (Modern, Westernized, off-shoots)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
According to everyone that I've asked so far (and that's a long list of people) Charles Beeder was, infact, Ed Parker's first black belt. I'm inclined to accept their word as the truth. After examining the statements that people have made I'm left wondering who would profit more from being known as Ed Parker's first black belt (a dead guy, or someone who is still in the business)?
:)
Worth looking at.......

Attachments

• $charliebeedersm1.JPG.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 368
  • $charliebeedersm2.JPG.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 382
  • $cbeederikka.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 372
OP
Zoran

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Why does James Ibrao call himself Ed Parker's first Black Belt? Is there some kind of misunderstanding here or is it intentional misinformation on Mr. Ibrao's part? Here it is on his website: KenpoKarate.com (Sentence three under "Hard Hitting Kenpo").
Hey Billy,

This is an odd one. I asked John McSweeney about this as he was there from 1959-1962. He said Ibrao was his first black belt and that is what they were always told back then by Ed Parker. It seems every one that was there before 1960 says the same. Later the story changes and Parker told many that Beeder was the first, mostly to the guys after 1965 or so. So I would not say the Ibrao is giving misinformation. I truly believe this is what he was told.

To me this suggests that his status had changed somehow later.

5 hand swords

Zoran said:
Hey Billy,

This is an odd one. I asked John McSweeney about this as he was there from 1959-1962. He said Ibrao was his first black belt and that is what they were always told back then by Ed Parker. It seems every one that was there before 1960 says the same. Later the story changes and Parker told many that Beeder was the first, mostly to the guys after 1965 or so. So I would not say the Ibrao is giving misinformation. I truly believe this is what he was told.

To me this suggests that his status had changed somehow later.
Well I learned from one of Ed's first black belts :).

OP
Zoran

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 hand swords said:
Well I learned from one of Ed's first black belts :).
Sorry 5 swords, not sure what you mean here.

Learned what? That Ibrao was or wasn't?

From who?

5 hand swords

Zoran said:
Sorry 5 swords, not sure what you mean here.

Learned what? That Ibrao was or wasn't?

From who?
That Ibrao was or wasn't?
I have no input here as this was far far above me .
:)
just smileing

K

kensen83

studied under master david boise of the villari style of shaolin kempo for 12 years, in upstate new york, now i have moved to albany and have been dabling in many other forms of martial arts every sence then including, muay thai, kendo , and jeet kung do.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really don't remember whether I have already responded or not, but EPAK for me anyway...

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Taijutsu = Parker Kenpo w/ some TRA-CO - also added some Kuk Sool Won (Joint Locks) - Judo throws and after Black will be taught some Budo Taijutsu (Ninpo).

Latest Discussions