• American Kenpo

• Tracy Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo (Castro)

• Shaolin Kempo (Vilarri)

• Kajukenbo

• Cerio Kenpo

• Kosho Ryu (Mitose)

• Kara Ho (Chow)

• Traditional Okinawan/Japanese (Ryukyu, Shorinji, etc)

• Other (Modern, Westernized, off-shoots)

Results are only viewable after voting.

how do you tell which type of kenpo, if you were never told a specific type?

S

sierra don

Mr. Ed Parker's American Kenpo and I study under Mr. Howard Silva.

sd

S

sierra don

Hello Mr. Billings,

I will pass on your "Hello" to Mr. Silva.

Yes, Me and the rest of our group are extreamly lucky to have Mr. Silva as our instructor. He started teaching about March of last year (2003), I myself did not get involved with Kenpo until June 2003.

At this time we only have class once a week on Sarturday but starting next month it looks like we are going to have a mid-week class too.

Mr. Silva's daughter and mine both go to the same dance studio, actually Mr Silva and I were both taking a dance class with our daughters for a big 2 night community show that the studio puts on every year.
He invited me to stop by the Dojo and check his class out, since then I have not missed a lesson with him.......A Great Teacher, A Great Guy and well respected.

Regards,
sd

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 8253
how do you tell which type of kenpo, if you were never told a specific type?

Ask your Sensei or your Instructor what is his lineage and also ask him.

Thanks
Rick

E

Eyedoc

Way outnumbered here, but Okinawan Kenpo under Micheal Bell (who studied under Sensei Bunch in Hawaii, I believe).

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sensei Bunch also studied under Mast Odo. If you would like to find out more about Master Odo go to my webpage and click on the
Master ODO unnder the Masters,
Okinawa Kenpo under Kenpo Groups
Darma Ryu Kenpo under Kenpo Schools

If there is anything I can do to help let me know

Rick

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I originally studied Shorinji Kempo for 12 years. I now study a system called Shinko Ryu which is a derivitive art based on Okinawan and Japanese kempo that has been transformed into a modern composite martial art. WE still practice with traditional elements however we show our exponents how to transition from tradition to inovation. Even though the system has archaic roots... it can be applied to modern situations effectively...

But then again...any time you are not using any type of modern weapons or armor...your are fighting archaicly... :jedi1:

Thanx for the minute...
WalT

E

Eyedoc

Thanks for the info, I'll do a little reading up on your art. Always good to be well rounded :boing2:

X

XkempoX

Shaolin Kempo, independent school from Cerio/Villari lineage.
smileJap.gif

H

Han_Tsu_Ki

1-Dan Villari's Shaolin Kenpo 9 years and still going. CANADA ROCKS!

M

marshallbd

Han_Tsu_Ki said:
1-Dan Villari's Shaolin Kenpo 9 years and still going. CANADA ROCKS!
Have you seen Mr Villari's DVD's. If so is the material the same as taught in his schools or modified? Obviously you like the material in the schools or you wouldn't have continued to the level you are at. Your opinion would be apreciated. :asian:

H

Han_Tsu_Ki

marshallbd said:
Have you seen Mr Villari's DVD's. If so is the material the same as taught in his schools or modified? Obviously you like the material in the schools or you wouldn't have continued to the level you are at. Your opinion would be apreciated. :asian:
I have never watched the DVD's myself but I have studied the materal on them. My instructor spent about 2 weeks covering the materal after he watched them. There's some pretty good stuff in there and I would recommend them. I'm going to buy them myself but I'm a little 'under-funded' at the moment.

M

marshallbd

Han_Tsu_Ki said:
I have never watched the DVD's myself but I have studied the materal on them. My instructor spent about 2 weeks covering the materal after he watched them. There's some pretty good stuff in there and I would recommend them. I'm going to buy them myself but I'm a little 'under-funded' at the moment.
When you get them post a review here on Martial Talk so we can see what they are all about! :asian:

M

marshallbd

marshallbd said:
When you get them post a review here on Martial Talk so we can see what they are all about! :asian:
I guess I should clarify for you....I have these DVD's on loan from a friend who bought them and the production is very nice as far as showing you what they want you to learn. I am a beginner though and am not sure whether what I am watching is worth-while or not. So I am looking for a more informed opinion... I have to return them to my friend soon.... :asian:

H

Han_Tsu_Ki

marshallbd said:
I guess I should clarify for you....I have these DVD's on loan from a friend who bought them and the production is very nice as far as showing you what they want you to learn. I am a beginner though and am not sure whether what I am watching is worth-while or not. So I am looking for a more informed opinion... I have to return them to my friend soon.... :asian:

Based on my level of training and experence I would vouch for the quality of material on the DVD's. I would recommend them to all those that with to further their training. However I would not recommend them to someone without prior training in some form of martial arts. hope my opinion helps you out

M

marshallbd

Han_Tsu_Ki said:
Based on my level of training and experence I would vouch for the quality of material on the DVD's. I would recommend them to all those that with to further their training. However I would not recommend them to someone without prior training in some form of martial arts. hope my opinion helps you out
It does and thanks!

Latest Discussions