• American Kenpo

• Tracy Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo (Castro)

• Shaolin Kempo (Vilarri)

• Kajukenbo

• Cerio Kenpo

• Kosho Ryu (Mitose)

• Kara Ho (Chow)

• Traditional Okinawan/Japanese (Ryukyu, Shorinji, etc)

• Other (Modern, Westernized, off-shoots)

Results are only viewable after voting.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okinawan kempo mixed with a little Cerio. Most the techs are nothing similiar to the American kenpo and Tracy wording. Individual things of course apply but not full technique applications.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ryukai Kenpo. I was told it was Okinawan but I have no idea. Karate katas but softer execution, more conceptual. I study Taiji/Xingyi/Mizong now but I want to keep what I learned fresh, since I put 7-8 years into it.

OP
Zoran

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
Ryukai Kenpo. I was told it was Okinawan but I have no idea. Karate katas but softer execution, more conceptual.
That's a new one for me. Unless you mean Ryukyu Kenpo, which refers to the Ryukyu islands of Okinawa/Japan.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zoran said:
That's a new one for me. Unless you mean Ryukyu Kenpo, which refers to the Ryukyu islands of Okinawa/Japan.
See my long post about the circumstances surrounding my training. It's Ryukai in the old handouts I have.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At the risk of being "touched" by Touch 'O' Death I will admit to being a student of the Mitchells where Professor Jerald Mitchell has been in the Spokane area (various locations) for a number of years. And if patient enough his doors have always been open if you wish to study with a good practioner.

T'o'D, my kids and I loved last year's IEMAT and I hope I can free that weekend up again this year.

L

lonekimono10

i started with tracys in 1965,and later went over to parker kenpo,
now i teach ACKKS.:)

K

kenpochad

Chinese Kenpo its traco or akka where i live live if you american kenpo
every one thinks of Master Parkers kenpo

B

BlackIce

The Style I Practice /Teach is called Wu Chi Chuan Kenpo ( Law of The Martial Fist). It is my own personal expression of Kenpo. It is a Hybrid of Parker's American Kenpo ( as a Base the 32 technique system), Steve (Sanders) Muhammad's B.K.F. Kenpo, Shotokan, Jui jitsu, Escrima, Kung Fu ( Chuan Fa), and U.S. ARMY CQC Combat Techniques. Our system closely resembles KaJuKenBo, but we come from Parker Lineage.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
POPS said:
Parkers Kenpo....Sean kelley in Palm Beach County, FL
Hi Pops, & Welcome to Martial Talk! :wavey: I heard that Mr. Kelley lost his home due to Hurricane Wilma. Could you give us an update as to how he's doing?

Thanks,
Gin-Gin :asian:

P

PG_ShaolinKempoKarate23

I do Shaolin Kempo(Villari) at USSD:idunno: (no other Kenpo Schools in area)

But I always wondered, would it be fair to just say that I did. "Kenpo Karate"? I mean, all or Kajukenbo's branch off's(with some exceptions) use the same technique's, kata's, pinan's, ect, so really aren't Kajukenbo, Kara Zenpo Goshin Jitsu, Cerio Kenpo, and Villari SKK essentially the same thing?

P.S. USSD sucks and Mattera is a Sellout

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PG_ShaolinKempoKarate23 said:
I do Shaolin Kempo(Villari) at USSD:idunno: (no other Kenpo Schools in area)

But I always wondered, would it be fair to just say that I did. "Kenpo Karate"? I mean, all or Kajukenbo's branch off's(with some exceptions) use the same technique's, kata's, pinan's, ect, so really aren't Kajukenbo, Kara Zenpo Goshin Jitsu, Cerio Kenpo, and Villari SKK essentially the same thing?

P.S. USSD sucks and Mattera is a Sellout

Nope. I've seen all the Shaolin Kempo techniques from white to 1st degree black. And the system actually has very few Kajukenbo techniques. The "Pinans" they do are the Okinawan Pinans, not the Kajukenbo Pinans (renamed Palama Sets in 1993). And their other katas have no resemblance to our Palama Sets.
If you know the true history of Shaolin Kempo, you'll understand that it had very little influence from Kajukenbo.

P

POPS

Actually, I'm just getting back into the game after 7 yrs away from his studio. I literally began last week. I believe everythings fine with him...we're all looking forward to the Florida Kenpo Camp. Instructors will be Trejo, Pick, Labounty, Fowler, Schulte and Hebler and Tatum as special guests.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train in modern Bok Fu Do which has its roots in the Tracy system. The systems founder, Richard Lee, received his 10th degree BB from Al Tracy. Although there are techniques with the same name and same general movement, a larg portion of the system has been modified and at the brown belt level it is for the most part, completely different. It's been around since '67.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have just recently started at a Parker/ Planas lineage school in Baltimore. I am just getting back into the game after a long absence. It's great to be back! Seems to be a world of difference, in a very positive light, in the way things are taught at my new studio compared to my old school. The biggest differences are contact is encouraged, basics are drilled heavily, and the techniques are explained in detail so a student is able to understand the reason why they are doing a particular technique a certain way. And to top it all off the guys running the class are top notch and all around good guys.

HKF