Kenpo in the 21st Century

Should Kenpo in the 21st Century...

• be changed dramatically to incorporate the new techniques and training methods coming to prominence

• evolve gradually, carefully adding and refining techniques within the bounds of the Kenpo system?

• preserve the traditions and teachings of Mr. Parker with little or no change?

• or should Kenpoists band together, find Old Fat Kenpoka and pulverize him?

Results are only viewable after voting.
T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

i believe it should evolve slowly to match society, tradition should always be kept and taught but to continue to grow with new concepts of attacks and movement.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TIGER DRAGON FIGHT said:
i believe it should evolve slowly to match society, tradition should always be kept and taught but to continue to grow with new concepts of attacks and movement.

Very good post! I agree, unfortunately, there are some that seem to be stuck in a time warp, with the thinking that things should stay the same rather than move forward and change with the times, as you've said. What amazes me more, is that Ed Parker himself, made changes to the art. So, basically its ok for him to make the changes, but nobody else???

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh my..god forbid a change should be made.

Mike

R

rmcrobertson

Not what I wrote, there, duder. Just objecting to phony change, change for change's sake, ego-driven tinkering.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I was just responding to what you said, which I believe was a reply to what I said. Guess there was a slight mis-communication there Robert.

Mike

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I voted for evolve gradually, carefully adding and refining techniques within the bounds of the Kenpo system. but i know people who would have voted or should Kenpoists band together, find Old Fat Kenpoka and pulverize him?..."Change? Blasphemey!" its sad people think that way when Ed Parker himself changed stuff around in the system

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Every Martial Art inherently evolves over time because it is an art that is passed on through an instructor/student relationship. Each instructor will make subtle (or sometimes drastic) changes as they teach based on their preferences, no matter how organized or stict the curriculum may seem.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the fact that Kenpo may have already evolved, and is contuing to do so, but maybe you haven't been exposed to it. Maybe?

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Has anyone considered the fact that Kenpo may have already evolved, and is contuing to do so, but maybe you haven't been exposed to it. Maybe?

Blasphemy. LOL.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doc said:

Yes Sir, I believe that process began the day GM Parker taught his first student. :)

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Yes Sir, I believe that process began the day GM Parker taught his first student. :)

Is that a fact or an opinion :) sorry couldn't resist. And my cookies are better too.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Do you honestly think that they haven't been exposed to it? Or could it possibly be that they have, and they are too closed minded to accept the changes as being good.
Aditionally, I think most of those saying they are open to change are blind to the changes they have seen. OR they don't want to see changes that were incorperated without their own personal contributions to thet specific change.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
lenatoi said:
Do you honestly think that they haven't been exposed to it? Or could it possibly be that they have, and they are too closed minded to accept the changes as being good.
Aditionally, I think most of those saying they are open to change are blind to the changes they have seen. OR they don't want to see changes that were incorperated without their own personal contributions to thet specific change.
Uh oh, you woke her up. Hows hubby?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lenatoi said:

I think it is obvious that innovations are being made by many people, in many different camps. Probably most of us have not been exposed to it if we have not had a chance to meet with the innovators and explore what they are doing. If you and I are each working on innovations independently, but we never get a chance to meet and work together, then neither of us will benefit from the works of the other. But that doesn't mean the innovations we are working on won't be beneficial to ourselves.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree FC. I know that many changes have been made in many different schools of thaught. I I was trying to make the point that most people reject changes that others have made, because they weren't there for the process. I know that there are some few that would benefeit if they could (or would) get together and and exchange ideas. But you're right if they don't, neither benefits.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc, my hubby is doing O.K. I'll shoot you an e-mail.