Material for Rank Stripes - What Ya Prefer?

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question for ya ( Clyde's already provided a wonderful answer to this question for me, but I always love to have options and different ideas )...

What sort of material do you prefer to use for rank stripes/bars, and how do you put it on there? Electrical tape? Material sown or glued on?

What did Mr. Parker use?

Trivial, I know.....I'm about to get a new belt, and wanted to do something with it besides red electrical tape for my stripes.

Thanks in advance!

Salute,
Jason Wilson
AKKI, Mississippi

K

kkbb

Our black belts have a very unique black sleeve with our systems kanji on it folowed by the red stripe. The sleeve is sown of silk

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by XtremeJ_AKKI
Hi all,

Quick question for ya ( Clyde's already provided a wonderful answer to this question for me, but I always love to have options and different ideas )...

What sort of material do you prefer to use for rank stripes/bars, and how do you put it on there? Electrical tape? Material sown or glued on?

What did Mr. Parker use?

Trivial, I know.....I'm about to get a new belt, and wanted to do something with it besides red electrical tape for my stripes.

Thanks in advance!

Salute,
Jason Wilson
AKKI, Mississippi

I'm not sure at the moment 'cause I'm at work but I believe the requirements for belt striping is in one of the II's books. As for some of my belts I used bias tape and had sown them on. Mr. Conatser has a good method for putting stripes on a belt and I think he may have posted it on here already.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For Kids I use electrical tape, since they get more stripes in my school, contingent on curriculum requirements being in smaller increments.

Adults I use bias tape with a product called Stitch Witchery. I like at stripe promotions, having them fold their belt in half, then make the letter "L". I then place the loose stripe across the part of the belt facing them. I then close the "L" at the end of the verbal promotion and lay the stripe across the folded belt. I give them the iron on glue product after the test.

Black Belts - I get the belts embroidered for them.

Oss

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did you test at the cornfield camp? Do we owe you a congrats?
Sean
AKKI CT

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

nahkohewalker

White Belt
Reaction score
I embroider my own. $ 99.00 sewing machine.

So Easy!!! And looks better than tape. But we all know the stripes dont make the Black Belt. Determination, practice, heart and will do.

Nahkohe

OP
XtremeJ_AKKI

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mace
Did you test at the cornfield camp? Do we owe you a congrats?
Sean
AKKI CT

Eek!

*running and hiding*

Well....... :rofl:

Yes, I tested for 2nd ( almost yacked six times during the test too ).

*hiding now*

:asian:

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congrats from all of us in CT! I tested in Vegas last March for my 2nd and remember quiet well the feeling in my stomach. Good job and hope to see ya in Vegas sometime.
Sean
PS I had cloth stripes sewn on by a seamstress, $20.

K

Kenpomachine

If I'm to wear one sometime, it would be a piece of cloth hand sewn by me. It's not that hard and it certainly looks better than electrical tape.

FWIF, I wore my black stripe only for three weeks this may, so it was electrical tape. Now it's out again, as it has been for months since I've gotten my brown belt

T

tonbo

For all of the lower belt stripes (below Black), we have custom-made tape stripes, in black and red, with our school logo. Students get them put on after the evaluations.

For Black, all of the stripes are sewn on or otherwise embroidered. I don't know for sure, since I am still waiting to get mine...(soon, though, with any luck!!)........;)

Peace--

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Electrical tape for us, all ranks, but then we are tight Yorkshiremen.

Mind you, I've been at my current level so long I've had to peel it off and re-do it about 4 times!

Ian.

Latest Discussions