Kenpo in the 21st Century

Should Kenpo in the 21st Century...

• be changed dramatically to incorporate the new techniques and training methods coming to prominence

• evolve gradually, carefully adding and refining techniques within the bounds of the Kenpo system?

• preserve the traditions and teachings of Mr. Parker with little or no change?

• or should Kenpoists band together, find Old Fat Kenpoka and pulverize him?

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Hey Old Fat Kenpo Dude!

Wazzup?

Funny thing is I choked someone out 9 months ago in a street fight after executing Mace of Aggression on him. Didn't need to study BJJ to do it though.

I don't think we should change EPAK. Not because I want to see it traditionalized, but because (in it's latest form) I think its still the most effective system out there. Just my expereince.

Good for you Billy! Seriously, good for you! I have to admit that I once TKO'd a guy using Thundering Hammers (although I did modify it by leading in with a right lunge kick to his solar plexus).

I do also agree (despite my ranting about grappling and MMA) that Kenpo is one of the most effective street self-defense systems out there. The question of this thread is will it still be the most effective in the 21st century--say around 2020 or 2040 or 2080?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
Do you perform your art exactly the same way your instructor does? It is my opinion that the art changes with each person, each adding thier own unique little twist to it, ultimately creating their own sub-system (Lear's American Kenpo?)....but that is the opinion of a novice....Thanks for reading..... :asian:

I would think that slight changes would occur. I mean, look at it like this...there was only 1 Ed Parker. Now, if you're not his height, weight, or as quick, then how could anyone possibly be like him?? Even when teaching the art to a woman, a man, and a child, there are going to be differences. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
MJS,

why cross train, when everything you need is right here in Kenpo?

You're right! There is alot in this art. I still believe though that if you wanted a more in depth look at something, you just may have to look elsewhere.

BJJ is not good on the street!

You're right again. Especially when it comes to mult. attackers. However, in the event that you fell to the ground, I would think that having some ground knowledge would be helpful.

Why break from tradition?

I can only speak for myself on this one, but I'm always looking for ways to make myself better! And, if that means looking outside the box, then I'm gonna do it.

You'll never get attacked with a knife!

And how do you know that????

My instructor is great!

And so are mine!!!!

(I arrived at the party late and wanted to piss in the pool too. Do ya mind if I do it from the edge? I don't like swimming in my own pee.) :kiss:

Hey Billy! Welcome to the party! By all means, stand on the edge...I dont like swimming in pee either!

Has fighting really changed all that much in the past couple of decades? Do we have eight legged mutants running around our city streets now, or has the average fighting prowess of Joe Mugger increased exponentially? Why do we need to change Ed Parker's Kenpo? It's always worked for me? I guess I'm wrong to assume that Kenpo is good enough. Maybe I'll take up studying Lathalo or some other more effective system. God knows... Mr. Parker (and all of his students) kept us in the dark, and didn't want us to know the secret methodology of combating mutants, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt Parker himself make changes from when he first learned Kenpo? I believe that he did, so if thats the case, whats to say that there, if he was still alive, there would be more changes???? If something has worked for you, thats great! Hats off to you Billy! But just cuz something works for you, are you assuming that its gonna work for everybody?? Everybody is different. What works for one, may not work for another.

In the long run I think any system is what you make of it. If you make it effective for you, then it will be. If you just go through the motions without commiting yourself to what you're doing then you lost before you got there. My system of choice is Kenpo, and my effort is to make it work the way it was ment to work (Eight legged mutant or not). Just some thoughts.
:asian:

You're right! It is what you make of it. I really dont want to turn this into another 'my system is better than yours' debate, although that is where it seems to be going here. I've had the chance to talk with Clyde a few times, and I have to say that he opened my eyes to alot of things. Its amazing how you can have 2 people do the same art and yet there are so many differences. Hmm...those words sound familiar dont they??? As I've also said before, we cant all be fortunate enough to train with Larry Tatum, so we have to train with who we have available to us at the time. Did I get the quality Inst. that you do? Definately not. Does that make my Kenpo any worse? Not at all. If I can apply it, and make it work for me, that is all I care about. If I find that I need to crosstrain in something, maybe I'm doing it cuz I happen to like that art. So why then does it seem to bother sooooo many people????

Let me ask you a question Billy. If you went to a new restaurant, with a huge variety of items on the menu, would you always want to eat the same thing, or maybe take a taste of something new? I dont know about you, but I want to sample as much as I can. I guess the same can be applied to the wide variety of arts that are out there!!!

Mike

M

marshallbd

OFK,

That number up top is growing! I clicked it just to be goofy but I'm out of that brawl! You guys would mop the florr with me! :asian:

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
Do you perform your art exactly the same way your instructor does? It is my opinion that the art changes with each person, each adding thier own unique little twist to it, ultimately creating their own sub-system (Lear's American Kenpo?)....but that is the opinion of a novice....Thanks for reading..... :asian:

Marshallbd,

Your point is a good one, but it only highlights the difference between what a personal style is and what a system is. A personal style reflects the individuals ability to apply the equation formula to his art as well as differences in timing, targeting, accuracy, speed, power, etc... The system on the other hand would be the same becasue the basics, base techniques, forms, and sets would be the same. Hope I helped.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Let me ask you a question Billy. If you went to a new restaurant, with a huge variety of items on the menu, would you always want to eat the same thing, or maybe take a taste of something new? I dont know about you, but I want to sample as much as I can. I guess the same can be applied to the wide variety of arts that are out there!!!

Mike

Your implying that you're eating at one restraunt. I think the analogy would be better if you were sitting at the Kenpo Dinner and eating from its menu, while sampling food from the juijitsu bar down the street at the same time... Just makes a little more sense to me. Don't get me wrong though... I like your thought process.

I originally posted this to get the boards attention:

"Why cross train, when everything you need is right here in Kenpo?
BJJ is not good on the street!
Why break from tradition?
You'll never get attacked with a knife!
My instructor is great!"

Now that I did, I'd like to put my real point of view up...

Everything you need is in Kenpo, but you're right your Kenpo and my Kenpo are different. I think it's good for people to check out other arts. I just don't think it's good for me to drink from a firehose when a shotglass of water is all I need.

Everytime I check out another art it just reinforces what I do within the boundaries of Kenpo. Making what I already know work on things I haven't yet encountered before is the key to the art for me. It's just a simple and easier way for me to build from my own frame of reference.

Bjj is as good as you make it on the street.

Keeping a tradition for the sake of tradtition, and nothing more... is a waste of time.

I've been attacked with a knife. More than once. I have a couple scars on my hand to prove it. THANK GOD I'M STILL IN ONE PIECE!

I have quite a few good instructors, and they are all great.

MJS, Clyde is right... you seem like a pretty cool dude. It would be good to hook-up on the mat sometime. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Your implying that you're eating at one restraunt. I think the analogy would be better if you were sitting at the Kenpo Dinner and eating from its menu, while sampling food from the juijitsu bar down the street at the same time... Just makes a little more sense to me. Don't get me wrong though... I like your thought process.

Our thoughts are the same on this one, we just said it a little different here!

Everything you need is in Kenpo, but you're right your Kenpo and my Kenpo are different. I think it's good for people to check out other arts. I just don't think it's good for me to drink from a firehose when a shotglass of water is all I need.

You're right! Kenpo is definately a very interesting art, and thanks to Clyde, he did enlighten me to many things. During one of our chats, we got on the subject of grappling and applying techs. from Kenpo while on the ground. I mentioned to him that during one session, I found an application to Crossing Talon and Mace of Aggression, while being mounted.

Everytime I check out another art it just reinforces what I do within the boundaries of Kenpo. Making what I already know work on things I haven't yet encountered before is the key to the art for me. It's just a simple and easier way for me to build from my own frame of reference.

Another good point!

Bjj is as good as you make it on the street.

True. Its not the end all-be all of arts. Like everything, it has its time and place.

I've been attacked with a knife. More than once. I have a couple scars on my hand to prove it. THANK GOD I'M STILL IN ONE PIECE!

I hear ya!! At least the injuries were nothing more than a few scars.

MJS, Clyde is right... you seem like a pretty cool dude. It would be good to hook-up on the mat sometime. :)

Thank you. :asian: Again, and I know I keep talking about it, but its the truth. After talking to Clyde, and you can ask him yourself, I developed a new look at the art. Believe me, if I could, I would head out to Cali. in a heartbeat. Who knows, maybe one day, if I find myself looking for a vacation spot, I'll make a trip to Ca. and look you guys up.

Mike

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good discussion gentlemen! Now it's time to get this thread back on track and solicit votes for beating the crap outta Old Fat Kenpoka! Who's with me?

:partyon:

R

RCastillo

Bill Lear said:
Good discussion gentlemen! Now it's time to get this thread back on track and solicit votes for beating the crap outta Old Fat Kenpoka! Who's with me?

:partyon:

What's it pay? :uhyeah:

R

RCastillo

Bill Lear said:
FOR THE LAST TIME...

THAT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH HE HAS IN HIS WALLET WHEN WE FIND HIM!!!

%-}

Quit yelling, and putting it in bold print before I travel to Master Tatums' studio, and seek you out! :uhyeah:

Now, next question, what's my percentage?

I believe Kenpo should be left alone. The basic movements will never work any better or worse. After all, all movements turn basic after practice.