Kenpo differences - standardize or leave alone?

M

matthewgreenland

I believe that the "CORE" elements of EPAK are the same. Some instructors and organizations differ in opinion, but the core is constant. I wish that ego wasn't an issue. And, I know that diversity has its pros and cons. Maybe their wouldn't be this sense of "I'm doing it right and you're doing it wrong," if people would set their feelings aside. I think that the above quote is embedded in so many people's minds that they close down mentally if they are not hearing an affirmation to what they were taught. In a sense, this in analagous to religion and spirituality. So many feel that if what they hear differs from "THEIR" approach, it must be wrong. Could it be that none are wrong. It is simply yet another perspective? In my heart, I feel this is the case, at least for me.

K

Kirk

Ed Parker Jr at a seminar said (in so many words) that most
went to him after getting their b.b. through someone else ...
they'd say to SGM Parker 'how do you do Thundering Hammers?'.
He'd reply with, "how do YOU do Thundering Hammers?" because
everyone was different. And then he'd tell them how BEST to do
it given how they moved, their body style, their own arrogance,
and what not being a factor. Then they'd all go away thinking
that it was the ONLY way that tech/set/form should be done,
when what it actually was, was customized. That being the case,
it's possible that the CORE might vary from instructor to instructor.
And if THIS is the case, then it won't be too long before the
variants in the core are even wider.

W

WilliamTLear

You took the words right outta my mouth. Seriously, I was going to post a response along those same lines.

Take Care,
Billy Lear
United Kenpo Systems :asian:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I do not believe that it will ever happen. Not anytime soon, anyway. Been too many years of too many differences, and too much slam dunking on each other between the various schools of thought.

Basics are all pretty much basics, and that is as it should be. There are some systems of Kenpo, however, that have very different basics, due primarily, to the philosophy of the founder of the system. Even at that, the differences can not be discounted or diminuated. They are there and they work.

The uniformity that we are thinking of does not seem to rear its head in other aspects of the martial arts. Look, for instance, at the differences in the various schools of Shorin-Ryu, Phillipine Martial Arts, and the various schools of "Kung fu". The truths of all of these variants are still true.

It will still be interesting to see what it all shakes out like in 5 or 6 more generations.

Dan :asian:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
They are bound and (blinded) by their association.

Or by some know it all instructor that thinks he is the only one that knows all the material and that no one else does.

Sets...well sets are up to the instructors if they want to teach them or not. Most will agree that they are just exercise to work certain aspects of the art "Appendices of Motion".

Forms "AND" Sets are expressions of basic skills

SO to have a "Standardization Board" Who would be on it? The most senior Parker black belts? Okay..so we'll have Sullivan, Hebler, LaBounty, White, who else?

Why such a short list.......? What about Trejo, Huk, Tatum, Pick, Hancock, Mills, Chapel, Palanzo, or Tom Kelly?

If we have them you'll have the argument that Hebler doesn't teach the "new" stuff and that Sullivan "doesn't follow the web of knowledge as it is written". Then you will have those that say "I was there training with Mr. Parker just before he died...I have the newest material changes." Someone posted it before about egos. To many might get in the way of a successful "Standardization Board".

Well, that is the trick right..... getting these guys together and shake up the bag and see what shakes out........ isn't it.

I look at it this way, each of the seniors have something to offer. If your basics are strong the rest is cake. Take it all in learn as much as you can.

I agree with this statement totally!

:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dennis, Dennis, Dennis.....tsk, tsk, tsk

No cheap shots now....Besides...who might you be referring to?

Or by some know it all instructor that thinks he is the only one that knows all the material and that no one else does.

Why such a short list.......? What about Trejo, Huk, Tatum, Pick, Hancock, Mills, Chapel, Palanzo, or Tom Kelly?

DO you expext me to list all of the seniors. I would expect that more people would be in order, more than what I listed. Don't be so literal.

Well, that is the trick right..... getting these guys together and shake up the bag and see what shakes out........ isn't it.

Do you honestly think Chuck or Dave would give up what they have with the IKCA or the OKKA to be on a standardization board?

I agree with this statement totally!

Thanks

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dennis, Dennis, Dennis.....tsk, tsk, tsk No cheap shots now.... Besides... who might you be referring to?

I take No cheap shots......... but.... Well, I can think of a few......

Do you honestly think Chuck or Dave would give up what they have with the IKCA or the OKKA to be on a standardization board?

I don't recall saying that "anyone" had to "give up" anything of what they are currently a part of to be on a standardization board.

After conversations with several including Mr. Hebler, Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Mills, and several others......... I have received nothing but interest. The formation of this does not require anyone to leave their own organizations but rather to work together as individual heads of organizations toward common ground - American Kenpo. Just - if - how - why - when - etc are still being explored at this time....... but it is not a dead issue as of yet. Many of these men are not as egotistical as some think. But they all are Eagles in their own right......... and Eagles do not flock! But they can band together to protect a common habitat each with his own territory.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I take No cheap shots......... but.... Well, I can think of a few......

ANyone I know????

I don't recall saying that "anyone" had to "give up" anything of what they are currently a part of to be on a standardization board.

Easy there big guy....
Many of these men are not as egotistical as some think.

Who say they were egotistical? Who are the several others???

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
quote: I take No cheap shots......... but.... Well, I can think of a few......

ANyone I know????

Yes, all of them.............. lol

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
quote: I don't recall saying that "anyone" had to "give up" anything of what they are currently a part of to be on a standardization board.

Easy there big guy....

I'm not upset.......... just stating fact.

Who say they were egotistical?

Several insinuations throughout several posts as to parking the egos at the door or no one will get along.............

Who are the several others???

to quote you ........ "DO you expect me to list all of the seniors. I would expect that more people would be in order, more than what I listed. Don't be so literal."

Several could be added.

:D

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Way to circumvent GD...

to quote you ........ "DO you expect me to list all of the seniors. I would expect that more people would be in order, more than what I listed. Don't be so literal."

quote: Originally posted by kenpo3631...
Anyone I know????

Yes, all of them.............. lol

H

headkick

Probably to some degree, yes. Will it be? Probably not. I think one good thing is people from different organizations to get together on a regular basis to share ideas. If nothing else, you can see what you don't like. I think Mr. Speakman tries to do that with his camps. You were in Vegas this year, weren't you Mr. C? What was that punchline again? :D

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My worry is:
"When does it stop being American Kenpo"

We tend to be all inclusive in an umbrella of Kenpo, and tolerate a lot of deviation when it comes to techniques, forms, sets, and some basics. When and who would decide when an organization strays too far afield (if in fact there is any such thing.) Think about James Ibrao's Kenpo as vs. Dennis Conatser's. Where the Priciples, Concepts, and Theories as developed by Mr. Parker are consciously applied, is that Kenpo? How about those arts that use them, but cannot articulate why they do what they do. Does it take standardization of techniques & forms ... or is it principles and concepts?

Very shakey ground here to me. I would love to see a cohesive Kenpo group with multiple associations doing essentially a similar system or art, I am just not sure it is possible at this point. Is Ron Chapel's SL-4 able to be reconciled with Paul Mills AKKI techniques? I don't know. In a perfect world maybe we could have perfect Kenpo. We know the umbrella of the Senior Counsel was not able to cover the members, or those left out intentionally? It was the right idea ... but you have to have active, willing, proactive participation, a committment to the goals, and a shared desire to drive toward the same end - and to "hold the line" rather than make exceptions due to seniority or "we don't know that" or numerous other complications all organizations have to deal with.

A little Organizational Psychology should tell you how difficult this noble goal would be. Standardization of at least a minimal level would ensure that no matter where you went, the Kenpo you know would be available. A noble dream, one worth fighting for, but do not discount the hurdles inherent in trying to resolve this. Everyone wants it probably, but who is willing to compromise the way they teach their art? It takes a big man/woman to subjugate his/her teaching to a "standard" that he/she may not agree with completly. Once again, where would we draw the line?

Whew!! Way too long a post. I have reason to wish it were easier. I do miss the days when Mr. Parker was the driving influence or source of the Kenpo out there. Even if it had changed ie. Tracy's or Mr. Mills, you knew where it came from.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am about to get in trouble here. Once again, American Kenpo is not the only viable flavor of Kenpo. As stated there are a number of different styles of Kenpo that would, at least in my paradigm, not mesh into a viable admixture that could reasonably be called American Kenpo.

I think that things went too long without any attempts to achieve a meeting of the minds, and I'm really not sure that it could ever really happen or have happened the way some folks are envisioning it.

Now, I suspect that the only way there will ever, truly, be a unified Kenpo is if all the various "sub-cultures" die out due to not being valid, useful, or simply lack of interest on the part of new students. On the other hand, that is the way it has always been. The less vigorous or useful arts are now gone or are in the process of dying. Interestingly, now-a-days, we allow for 200 seperate types of Kung fu. In the late 60s and early 70s, there were about 2000 styles on Mainland China.

I suspect that due to amalgamation or due to the above listed reasonings, we are now down to 200, and I suspect that over the ensuing generations, such will happen in Kenpo. Since I began study of Kenpo in '71, and most particularly in the past 10 to 15 years, there have been astronomical advances in Kenpo. It continues to suffer growing pains, but it is growing and changing daily. And that is a good thing. :D

dan

Z

Zeke

Yep, have to agree with you on that one, change is a good thing. As my first instructor used to say ;"As long you are changing you're alive. When you stop you might as well be dead" I guess he had a point somewhere:)
Now would it be nice if we all did the same thing? Yes indeed! Would it be just as fun? No not at all:D
Take care
Zeke

Latest Discussions